Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrating!

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrati

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Andres wrote:send a four-digit code to either a mobile phone or a fixed line.
Option of voice? Why not get a Chile Skype number then have it forwarded?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 am

I dont have this cell phone verification. Try checking your online account and seeing if there is a phone number somewhere in the account info that you can delte

Andres

Post by Andres » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 pm

zer0nz wrote:see what another bank offers, BCI Nova i think, but not sure, may give you a real token!
Have tried several banks; BCI Nova said they require permanent residency.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:I dont have this cell phone verification. Try checking your online account and seeing if there is a phone number somewhere in the account info that you can delte
I tried turning off the option and can not; perhaps it is a recent "improvement".
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

macdroid

Post by macdroid » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am

Andres wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:I dont have this cell phone verification. Try checking your online account and seeing if there is a phone number somewhere in the account info that you can delte
I tried turning off the option and can not; perhaps it is a recent "improvement".
if you transfer to a "cuenta frecuente" there is no need for "tercera clave"..."cuenta frecuente" means that you already did a transfer to the same account...on the other side, if you use the cuenta rut to pay bills online through servipag, there is also no need of "tercera clave"...

if you need it to do random transfers, the you have a problem...I have that problem with my foreign account...SMS in roaming gets lost often and if not, they arrive to late and my online banking session expires...tried also to add a Chilean phone number instead, but same problem as roaming...my solution was to put a phone from someone I trust, but the biggest problem is the time difference and having to call my friend in the middle of his night to ask him for a code he received...

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 pm

OK, I've had some experience with this BancoEstado third party transfer thingy. It is a call, not text, by robot, human voice activated.

Since it is a voice call, it should not be a problem receiving the call overseas (vs. a possibly flaky text message though these have actually been reliable in my experience). If there still is a problem, I would setup a Skype Chile voice number and have it forwarded to your overseas voice number.

Also, the regulation kicks in randomly as I have done third party transfers with no need for this step.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:OK, I've had some experience with this BancoEstado third party transfer thingy. It is a call, not text, by robot, human voice activated.

Since it is a voice call, it should not be a problem receiving the call overseas (vs. a possibly flaky text message though these have actually been reliable in my experience). If there still is a problem, I would setup a Skype Chile voice number and have it forwarded to your overseas voice number.

Also, the regulation kicks in randomly as I have done third party transfers with no need for this step.
Yeah, it has been phone calls. Have the ones without this step been cuentas frequentes? I've found that all of the transfers that I've done have needed the PIN from the phone call, unless I had the account registered as a cuenta frequente (ie. my landlord and my sister-in-law.)

However, I think that if I'm paying bills to Claro or Movistar or whatever, then no PIN. So theoretically. Or, if I'm making a payment on an outside site (Sencillito, etc.), no PIN.

Just transfers.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 am

Yes, paying bills, no need for the call.

But there was one new individual person transfer (not a bill payment entity) that somehow went through without the need for the tercera clave.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Strange. I have a cuenta RUT and have done some transfers lately. I was never asked for an additional PIN by phone, text or anything. I just had to put in the numbers on that little card they gave me when I opened the account.

malma

Post by malma » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:15 pm

I needed the tercera clave to add an account as a cuenta frecuente. But this code came to my email that is registered with them. I did have trouble at the beginning but filed a complaint form and they fixed it in a reasonable time.

jcarloschile

Post by jcarloschile » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:The title should be their slogan.

I realize that I posted my original complaint en El Patio (how? I've only been here 9 months, but whatevs...) after searching for BancoEstado. Searching for CuentaRUT shows everyone's trouble with getting this basic account (Why do they have problems? Why, it's because workers at the banks seem to like to make up random requisites for opening an account, such as needing a contract for 1 year, or residencia indefinida. FALSE.) You just need to be over 18yo (or 12yo female or 14 yo male with parental consent) and have residencia temporaria and a cedula

Gato goes into the process here:http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic6589.html

I'm on residencia temporaria, and they didn't ask for any sort of work contract to sign up. The lady that I called to apply for the account told me that I can't, but would put the application in anyways. When I called in the next Monday, it was already approved, and the lady sounded surprised that I was calling "because the other lady said it might be denied because I only have residencia temporaria."

Card arrived in the mail that very same Monday.

I went into a ServiEstado the other Saturday, signed some paper, got a passcode for the ATM and internet, changed the passcode at the ATM. Got home, and had to change the passcode online as well I guess.

Whatever, I have my CuentaRUT now. My paycheck was deposited without a problem.

But... I forgot to the transfer grid password card needed for transferencias. Welp. I went in again this Saturday, signed a paper, got the card, asked "todo está listo para hacer transferencias ahora?" "Sí, sí, todo listo." Tried to do a transfer last night, and nope. Didn't work. Called in today and they said I have to go in again "para que lo segmenten," whatever that means. So no, "no está todo listo."

*sigh* *sigh* *sigh*

No questions here. Just complaining. Because it's the Thorn Tree.
My wife has temporary visa like me, but was refused few days ago. I'm with a temporary Id got openned without problems beyond a long time waiting there... :roll:

Maker42

Re: Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrating!

Post by Maker42 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:45 pm

My wife and I were both able to open an account with no problem with temp residency cards.

But has anybody tried to login to online banking lately? The first time I log in, I always immediately get redirected to the timeout page (like saying I've been logged in with no activity too long). Even the first time ever logging in to that account. I have to wait a few minutes and try to log in again, and then I'm in.