Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrating!

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
rachelmarama

Re: Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrati

Post by rachelmarama » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I opened a cuenta RUT in order to get my tax money back, because they would not deposit into an account that didn't have my name on it. I simply used the card and took out $200.000 a day and deposited it into the banco de chile account I have that's in my partners name...
I would have used the account, but I couldn't even log in as their website is beyond broken. I have a mac - the setting up of a password requires that you answer some questions. Only one of the three would display on safari or firefox on the mac. Called customer service who have no idea what they are talking about. All they can do is repeat step by step instructions they have in front of them which start with "use Internet Explorer" (the poor guy was totally confused when I don't him that I didn't have it because I was on a Mac). So I install a virtual machine (needed to do that anyway) and load up the site on IE. Still doesn't work, can't even remember what the issue was that time, but gave up.
But the Cuenta RUT was VERY easy to get, apart from the 2 hour queue. All I had to do was show my carnet and sign a form.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
Kimberley wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:
Don't bother going to the ServiEstado to start doing transfers. They can give you a card, but they can't actually authorize you to start doing transfers, so you'll have to go to a BancoEstado anyways.
Did you sucessfully make an online transfer with your cuenta RUT?

I just go to the branch of the recipients account and deposit directly into the account over the counter....
I want to buy Groupons and stuff... :) So I can't just deposit the money. I'm going in tomorrow morning to a BancoEstado to get this thing to work.

I finally got my transfers to work. Apparantly they didn't have in the system whether I was a person or a company, and what my job was. Apparantly, they can't just fix that through the system. And they can't fix it through a phone call. They had to SEND A PHYSICAL LETTER to somebody or another in order to fix it, so not only did I lose a whole day of work (because they were pushing me around from one person to another in the bank for way too many hours) but I also had to wait another whole week for it to start working. No one had ever asked me what I do for a job. Ever.

I'm seriously hitting my head on the wall telling my fiance that I want to leavveeeeeeeeee. He's too cute to leave behind though, and has another 2 years left before he gets his degree.

*Sigh*

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm

FWIW, I access BancoEstado using Safari on a Mac with no problem all the time. That's access, if you want to apply online for a CuentaRUT, you will need to use Microsoft and Internet Explorer. I tried spoofing my OS and browser under the Developer menu in Safari but that does not work.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:51 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:

I finally got my transfers to work. Apparantly they didn't have in the system whether I was a person or a company, and what my job was. Apparantly, they can't just fix that through the system. And they can't fix it through a phone call. They had to SEND A PHYSICAL LETTER to somebody or another in order to fix it, so not only did I lose a whole day of work (because they were pushing me around from one person to another in the bank for way too many hours) but I also had to wait another whole week for it to start working. No one had ever asked me what I do for a job. Ever.
man. well its great you finally got it to work!! Maybe I should have another go. but its like as you said, its about being prepared to loose hours or days of your life... but did this side-step all of the verifications and confirmations (phone, email, text) or you still have to do that every time you make an online transfer?

Andres

transfers without third password?

Post by Andres » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 am

I recently opened a BancoEstado CuentaRUT and went through the hassle of getting the password card linked to the account and operational.
I was able to make a transfer BUT
I had to give them phone numbers where I can receive a third password.
This presents a problem: If I am not in Chile, and can not receive the password, I can not transfer funds. Does anyone know whether it is possible to avoid or turn off the use of the third password, or receive it via email?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

zer0nz

Re: transfers without third password?

Post by zer0nz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 am

Andres wrote:I recently opened a BancoEstado CuentaRUT and went through the hassle of getting the password card linked to the account and operational.
I was able to make a transfer BUT
I had to give them phone numbers where I can receive a third password.
This presents a problem: If I am not in Chile, and can not receive the password, I can not transfer funds. Does anyone know whether it is possible to avoid or turn off the use of the third password, or receive it via email?

Cant you roam with your chilean phone number? its free to receive texts messages anywhere in the world...

Andres

Re: transfers without third password?

Post by Andres » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 am

zer0nz wrote:Cant you roam with your chilean phone number? its free to receive texts messages anywhere in the world...
I use an Entel prepay account. I do not know whether it is permitted to (supposedly/theoretically) receive texts overseas.
Even if I open a mobile/celular account which is supposedly/theoretcially able to receive texts overseas, it does not mean it will.
I have encountered many incidents where a mobile phone which is NOT roaming attempts to send a text to a mobile phone in another country (roaming OR not roaming), and texts do not arrive.
I will not know whether Banco Estado texts will arrive in Australia with a Chile mobile phone account until I get to Australia.
Requiring a third password is just one more risk which I wish to avoid.

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 am

bump: any solution ideas?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 am

Maybe you are going to have to "trust" someone in Chile and use their mobile number in your BE datos so they can inform you of the code.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 am

Andres wrote:bump: any solution ideas?
see what another bank offers, BCI Nova i think, but not sure, may give you a real token!

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey Andres - was that a transfer from to another chilean account or an international account?

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Kimberley wrote:Hey Andres - was that a transfer from to another chilean account or an international account?
BancoEstado acct to a Chilean acct; they have a card with codes on a grid, and also send a four-digit code to either a mobile phone or a fixed line.