Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrating!

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
zer0nz

Re: Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrati

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:07 pm

use bci nova.... same requirements, not run by the goverment!

monthly account fee (get what you pay for)

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Kimberley wrote:I have also tried to make an online trasfer - to no avail.
If anyone HAS successfully done it, it woud be great to know!
I couldn't seem to get passed the million and one verifications and after visting the bank 3 times in the same morning to try and resolve the problems and running back to the somputer inbetween, the kind Banco Estado clerk quietly confided in me that even she never makes an online transfer because it is so difficult! :O
Do you have one of those transfer grid cards?

You need:
1) Your online banking password
2) ????? Transfer password? Gotta take half a day off of work for this one because they don't want to give it to me at ServiEstado
3) The password grid card for the "unique combination" for each transfer

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 pm

yeah. I have the transfer password and the password grid card. You need to verify you details, verify the recipient, verify and confirm, verify and confirm... I never recieved half the confirmations (phone or email or you can call them, which I did and that did't work either), therefore I couldn't pass the verification process. The lady explained it to me. there are like 7 steps and I couldn't get passed the first 4 or something.
Did you get it to work?
It annoyed me a bit in proncipal that it wasn't possible. Of course I can go to the bank withdraw the money and deposit it into the account at the bank, but I have to pay for the withdrawal and waste time in the line. Not to mention the hours and close to days I have spent trying to make it work. In the end I gave up!
But as Zero says - I am not really paying for the service, so what do I expect...?

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Corpbanca story

1. Sign up for cuenta vista.
2. Ask for online banking password at the counter.
3. Ask for password grid card for transfers.
4. Pick it up a week later.
5. Point finger and laugh at those still waiting in line at ServiPag.

It might sound simple, but making transfers with them has been easy enough and far fewer redundant confirmations. I will add that there is no maintenance fee on my account. YMMV.

edit.
My accountant at work explained to the bank rep that my salary would be transferred each month. So a steady domestic income probably helped my case too. Good luck Andres and everybody else...
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 pm

snobrd4life wrote:Corpbanca story

It might sound simple, but making transfers with them has been easy enough and far fewer redundant confirmations. I will add that there is no maintenance fee on my account. YMMV.
Are you indefinido or temporaria?

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Temporaria since Nov '11.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

lotn

Post by lotn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 pm

zer0nz wrote:use bci nova.... same requirements, not run by the goverment!

monthly account fee (get what you pay for)
As do I. For a little over $3.000 pesos it seems well worth it for the lack of any of these problems CuentaRUT holders have.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm

For me the Cuenta RUT has been fantastic. It was incredibly easy to open, there are many branches of Banco Estado that are open from 8am until 7pm, which has been very convenient on many occasions and the staff are helpful and kind.

For basic receiving and withdrawing money I think it is an excellent service that is basically free, only minimal 300 peso withdrawal fee at the atm.

It's only making an online transfer that seems to be a bit of a hurdle, but I am sure one day when I have more patience, I will sort that one out too...

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Kimberley wrote:For me the Cuenta RUT has been fantastic. It was incredibly easy to open, there are many branches of Banco Estado that are open from 8am until 7pm, which has been very convenient on many occasions and the staff are helpful and kind.

For basic receiving and withdrawing money I think it is an excellent service that is basically free, only minimal 300 peso withdrawal fee at the atm.

It's only making an online transfer that seems to be a bit of a hurdle, but I am sure one day when I have more patience, I will sort that one out too...
Don't bother going to the ServiEstado to start doing transfers. They can give you a card, but they can't actually authorize you to start doing transfers, so you'll have to go to a BancoEstado anyways.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:41 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
Don't bother going to the ServiEstado to start doing transfers. They can give you a card, but they can't actually authorize you to start doing transfers, so you'll have to go to a BancoEstado anyways.
Did you sucessfully make an online transfer with your cuenta RUT?

I just go to the branch of the recipients account and deposit directly into the account over the counter....

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Kimberley wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:
Did you sucessfully make an online transfer with your cuenta RUT?

I just go to the branch of the recipients account and deposit directly into the account over the counter....
I want to buy Groupons and stuff... :) So I can't just deposit the money. I'm going in tomorrow morning to a BancoEstado to get this thing to work.

Andres

corpbanca story 2

Post by Andres » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm

snobrd4life wrote:Corpbanca story

Corpbanca story 2: Corpbanca refused to CONSIDER opening an account for me despite me having a temporary residence visa, as did snobrd4life.
The difference between us is that he has monthly in-Chile income from an employer and I do not.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.