Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrating!

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
wiscondinavian

Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrating!

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:37 pm

The title should be their slogan.

I realize that I posted my original complaint en El Patio (how? I've only been here 9 months, but whatevs...) after searching for BancoEstado. Searching for CuentaRUT shows everyone's trouble with getting this basic account (Why do they have problems? Why, it's because workers at the banks seem to like to make up random requisites for opening an account, such as needing a contract for 1 year, or residencia indefinida. FALSE.) You just need to be over 18yo (or 12yo female or 14 yo male with parental consent) and have residencia temporaria and a cedula

Gato goes into the process here:http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic6589.html

I'm on residencia temporaria, and they didn't ask for any sort of work contract to sign up. The lady that I called to apply for the account told me that I can't, but would put the application in anyways. When I called in the next Monday, it was already approved, and the lady sounded surprised that I was calling "because the other lady said it might be denied because I only have residencia temporaria."

Card arrived in the mail that very same Monday.

I went into a ServiEstado the other Saturday, signed some paper, got a passcode for the ATM and internet, changed the passcode at the ATM. Got home, and had to change the passcode online as well I guess.

Whatever, I have my CuentaRUT now. My paycheck was deposited without a problem.

But... I forgot to the transfer grid password card needed for transferencias. Welp. I went in again this Saturday, signed a paper, got the card, asked "todo está listo para hacer transferencias ahora?" "Sí, sí, todo listo." Tried to do a transfer last night, and nope. Didn't work. Called in today and they said I have to go in again "para que lo segmenten," whatever that means. So no, "no está todo listo."

*sigh* *sigh* *sigh*

No questions here. Just complaining. Because it's the Thorn Tree.

snobrd4life

Re: Bancoestado: let's make opening a bank account frustrati

Post by snobrd4life » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Hence, I found myself laughing out loud when I read this article:

http://ilovechile.cl/2012/09/02/chile-s ... card/66517

Nothing can really be done over the phone anymore...
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:54 pm

You forgot to ask whether it was "...todo todo listo...", at which they would have said "...aaaah, usted quieres todo todo listo... Entonces, no." or something like that.

I once asked for some new tyres for my car. I asked for "La misma que yo tengo ahora." I thought that was obvious, but no. I received two new tyres (the right number) that were the same size (correct) but a different brand. When I said that this wasn't what I asked for, the reply was "Aaaah, usted quieres la misma misma"...

picalena

Post by picalena » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Bancofrustrado
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:57 pm

picalena wrote:Bancofrustrado
upvote

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm

ryanar wrote:You forgot to ask whether it was "...todo todo listo...", at which they would have said "...aaaah, usted quieres todo todo listo... Entonces, no." or something like that.

I once asked for some new tyres for my car. I asked for "La misma que yo tengo ahora." I thought that was obvious, but no. I received two new tyres (the right number) that were the same size (correct) but a different brand. When I said that this wasn't what I asked for, the reply was "Aaaah, usted quieres la misma misma"...
You would need to ask for "la misma marca", same brand, or "identicos", identical. Just saying you want the same thing might be interpreted as wanting round ones. :D You need to be more specific in Spanish.

picalena

Post by picalena » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:24 pm

By coincidence, I also heard it referred to today as BancoMalEstado.

Totally coincidentally.

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm

But wait, there's more! I go into the ServiEstado today, and they say, oh no oh no, you have to go to BancoEstado to get that stupid clave. Why? Because we like making your life difficult, and make you lose half a day's pay so that you can go into our bank, which like all of Chile, is only open on weekdays until 2PM. Oh joy!

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Bear in mind that Spaniards created a word for theft without intimidation (hurto) which is not quite the full-fledged thing (robo). Then they proceeded to rape and pillage the Americas through and through, and we're still living in the aftermath (case in point, Endesa trying to pull a fast one on Chile with their bogus in-kind contribution to a proposed capital increase).

Any culture that needs a euphemism to split hair on how much theft there was in the act cannot be trusted. Eso es verdad de verdad.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:58 pm

otravers wrote:Bear in mind that Spaniards created a word for theft without intimidation (hurto) which is not quite the full-fledged thing (robo). Then they proceeded to rape and pillage the Americas through and through, and we're still living in the aftermath (case in point, Endesa trying to pull a fast one on Chile with their bogus in-kind contribution to a proposed capital increase).

Any culture that needs a euphemism to split hair on how much theft there was in the act cannot be trusted. Eso es verdad de verdad.
That my good sir, is essentially the difference between robbery and theft in English.

otravers

Post by otravers » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 am

I was writing in jest but I may have a future producing a Jokes Fallen Flat video series. (Oops I probably did it again.)

In reality this is more a matter of juridical history. I'm French and in my native language and law, there's no word to sugar coat theft, so the Iberic approach strikes me as odd. This is well explained here:
http://noticias.juridicas.com/articulos ... 89598.html

I have an Australian friend who half-jokes that Chileans, when caught in the act of stealing, will swear they are not, "estoy aprovechando" they'll say. It was not glued and chained you see...

Think about the ever-present use of superlatives in American English ("awesome, I'm super excited") vs. diminutives in Spanish or Portuguese ("el tecito de la abuelita") and what they tell you about their respective cultures. Hence the need to ask for "listo listo" or "limpio limpio".

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 pm

I have also tried to make an online trasfer - to no avail.
If anyone HAS successfully done it, it woud be great to know!
I couldn't seem to get passed the million and one verifications and after visting the bank 3 times in the same morning to try and resolve the problems and running back to the somputer inbetween, the kind Banco Estado clerk quietly confided in me that even she never makes an online transfer because it is so difficult! :O