Burning the forests

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
zer0nz

Re: Burning the forests

Post by zer0nz » Tue May 15, 2012 8:46 am

I were going to say, will help kill them off fast, but then agian, next protest will be for free health care to battle the effects of the pollution caused by the wood burning!,

would of been better to give every house a free heat pump and subsidised electricity on the condition it came from the new hydro scheme

admin
Site Admin

Re: Burning the forests

Post by admin » Tue May 15, 2012 10:14 am

That is one thing to seriously take in to consideration when picking a place to live in the South. You won't see it during the summers.

Everyone burns wood in Frutillar, but the airflow of the town keeps it from settling (size of population also helps). We only have like perhaps 4 or 5 days a year that there is no breeze, and those mostly happen in the fall and the spring as the jet stream is shifting north or south. Puerto Varas by comparison has wood smoke sitting over the town most of the winter, because they are facing north in a bay. Frutillar is facing east, and we have a wide open plain that runs to the coast to the west of us. There is a lake a effect wind that is constantly pulling air towards the east, or pushing it west during a storm on the lake.

I drove to the Puerto Montt airport the other day, and there is a development on the edge of PM that sits in a valley. I could not even see the other side of the valley because all the wood smoke trapped there over the houses.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.