sopaipilla sources

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Andres

sopaipilla sources

Post by Andres » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

My polola and I were at an exposition in Estación Mapocho yesterday and I commented to her that the "Big Ben" cafe nearby made tasty sopaipillas.

She commented that I should never buy a sopaipilla from a street vendor. I asked, "why?".

Right on cue, a street vendor ten metres in front of us knocked a sopaipilla off the front of his cart onto the sidewalk where people walk and dogs lay. He walked around the cart picked it up, waved it in the air a couple of times and put it back in the row of sopaipillas on his cart.

'nuff said.

(Not implying all street vendors are this irresponsible, but the timing was perfect.)
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

zer0nz

Re: sopapilla sources

Post by zer0nz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:19 pm

hahaha

You can buy sopaipillas from street vendors or any other type of food. when you have been in chile for long enough for your stomic to adjust to the local bugs... and use common sense, if the street vendor looks dodgy, it is dodgy............

we buy lots..... and im still alive!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Homemade is the best. No street vendor beats the sopapillas my wife makes and we know exactly the quality of the ingredients and the cleanliness.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

bearshapedsphere

Post by bearshapedsphere » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm not much of a sopaipilla eater, but Big Ben is a classic. Their muffins are tough, like Chilean muffins usually are, but sitting at the counter reminds me of an old diner deli counter.

On the microbe front, I'd be surprised if I haven't eaten my share of street bacteria living here. I don't eat off the street much (ever?), but just being on the street, you're going to ingest some. However, sopaipilla off the sidewalk is a big no thanks.
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:12 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Homemade is the best.
I prefer to maximise pumpkin content and minimise wheat (or other grain) content.
Do you have a recipe which has no wheat in it?
If not, do you mind sharing your recipe as it is? I will put it on the wiki.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:51 pm

bearshapedsphere wrote:Big Ben is a classic.
I was hesitant to add it to the wiki Santiago article, but as you have "seconded" my assertion it is a good place to eat, I have add it:
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... Eating_out

carica

Re: sopaipilla sources

Post by carica » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 pm

The other thing about sopapaipas on the street is that you never.ever. see them change their frying oil. I've read that if you're careful you can use fry oil for a long time, but you've already read that these carts don't have the most careful reputation.. so..

In Viña there is bakery that sells sopapillas for $250 and you can watch them fry em up on Villanello between Alvarez and Calle Valpo, across the street from the Santa Isabel. They also sell hands-down the best berlines I've ever had, using the same zapallo-y dough and stuffing them with fresh manjar or crema pastelera. They're always hot and fresh.

Ñam..

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:33 pm

carica wrote:In Viña there is bakery . . . .
Added to the wiki: http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... #Vi.C3.B1a
Please provide a precise address or name if you can.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue May 01, 2012 11:58 am

It was a receta she got from the web. If you review a handful, you get the basic picture and can modify and experiment as needed. Main things, she used manteca (which we render ourselves) and fried it in pure manteca (I am in the paleo/Weston Price Foundation camp in regards to animal fats and consider cheap processed GMO/hydrogenated or semi-hydrogenated vegetable oils as one of the primary causes of the degenerative diseases affecting the world).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Andres

Post by Andres » Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:It was a receta she got from the web.
We looked at several recipies online. They all have much more wheat flour in them than pumpkin. I prefer more pumpkin and Pamela says traditionally they were almost entirely pumpkin. We'll keep looking.