bikers on busy roads: Y U no use ciclovia?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
wiscondinavian

bikers on busy roads: Y U no use ciclovia?

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:21 pm

http://qkme.me/3ohais

Seriously. I see people every day on busy roads riding their bike DESPITE THE FACT THAT THERE IS A CICLOVIA ABOUT 2 METERS FROM WHERE THEY ARE RIDING THEIR BIKE. Why don't these people use the bike lane that has been constructed???????????????? Does anyone have any insight here?

I just got a bike, and follow the mentality of "everyone else is an idiot, so I don't care if I look like an idiot" with my 2-meter-high bright orange flag and helmet. I also have a reflective vest and lights for night. My multi-tool already broke... so gotta go return that crappy piece of Chinese metal. Time for me to try out how easy it is to return things to stores in Chile for falla.

I'd been itching for a bike forever, but I couldn't really justify putting in US$200 for an overpriced-bike that will probably be stolen from me in a year. Thank you mercadolibre for my shitty CH$30.000 bike. I shall now use bike lanes where they are available, and ride on the road with my dorky helmet and vest where they are not.

carica

Re: bikers on busy roads: Y U no use ciclovia?

Post by carica » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:52 pm

I assume you live in Santiago because where I live there is ONE.bike.lane in the entire city.

As for the insight: I defer to a fellow forum member:
http://bearshapedsphere.com/2011/04/22/ ... -sidewalk/

perrywinkle

Post by perrywinkle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm

First of all, I'm new to the forum so, hello.

With regard to your question, unfortunately, most of the bike lanes in Santiago are poorly designed. I use my bike nearly everyday as my means of transportation, and prefer to ride in the street 99% of the time. My goal is generally to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, and most of the bike lanes are designed for recreational use only, not for bike commuters. The bike paths built alongside the sidewalk are the worst, as pedestrians frequently walk in the middle of them, oblivious to the fact that there's a sidewalk less than 2 feet from the bike path. Also, many have sharp dangerous curves, merge with the sidewalk at every corner, and sometimes disappear for a block or two with no warning.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:24 pm

yea, they are not exactly the Dutch bike super highways in Chile.

I do have to admit, the ones they have built in recent years at least look better designed than the road they run next to. At least down south, there seems to be a lot of money put in to the landscaping around the paths, bike parking, play areas for kids, and lots of other really expensive bells and whistles that do not really make for a better bike path.

I am personally waiting for them to finish the path around lake llanquihue. It is already a hot biking trip destination for foreingers, but still really hard to do because of road conditions. They have about 30% of the lake now done with paths, and plans are on the way for the rest.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Okay, took the bike path from downtown Santiago to Maipu and I now understand why people ride on the roads. Seriously, 90 degree turns every block? Lady with her double-wide stroller? Curbs with no ramp? Yup. Totally understand now.

However, Pajaritos is quite nice until the Mall.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Yes, most of these so-called bicycle lanes are totally useless, especially when they end every 100 yards or so and one has to cross a busy road just to continue cycling along it. Besides, if I were to zip down them at my usual speed of maybe 20mph I would probably mow down the assorted kiddies meandering along that they are really built for. Unfortunately that all means close contact with the local motorists...

Cheers,

James.