Cat calls when I am with my children.

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Donnybrook

Re: Cat calls when I am with my children.

Post by Donnybrook » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Some in depth work on the pavement outside our pasaje left us more or less cemented in for a day. So cars were left out on the street, but even negotiating the entrance on foot was a problem. A very kind worker offered me his hand to help me across, first removing his glove. When I returned they were all having lunch under a tree. They called out that they had laid some planks across the wet cement for me but to be careful as they were a bit wobbly. I shot back that I was a bit wobbly myself and would manage very well. Great laughter and a moment of connection across a divide which is sometimes more difficult to negotiate than wet cement.

Don't be offended by things which are not meant to be offensive. Raw vulgarity of any sort should be ignored, of course. But the snappy comment is part of the labourers' way to let off steam and most mean no harm by it. After all, they helped elect a woman president (no comment on how that turned out) so they can't be all bad.

bulldog

Post by bulldog » Tue May 29, 2012 9:11 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:
momof3 wrote: Blonde- check. So tempting to tint my hair dark. Oh if only I could go "Ghetto" on them with a mob of angry NOW members. I just hate "taking" it because my daughter may then think this is acceptable. I need some comebacks that actually work on Chilean men who stoop to this level.
ask them in a deep voice if they want to see your penis...that will freak them out!
that cracked me up

snakecharmer4

Post by snakecharmer4 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:20 pm

fahrvergnugen wrote:My wife is somewhat of a looker, ex French model. I somewhat hit the lottery when I hitched her - long legs that don't quit, beautiful face, very attractive demeanor.

Now, if we go to Chile and they do this with me in tow there would be trouble. There is no way I would leave this unchallenged and I do know how to handle myself in the streets. What I'd like to know is how Chilean treats this type of stuff - assuming a some idiots make cat calls and I wind up kicking their collective butts - do I need to be worried about doing some serious time or would I at most have to pay una multa?

I know this sounds a bit macho and I'm not out to start fights - I usually avoid them as much as possible. But I am a bit old fashioned and this would be something I would have a hard time with. Letting some guys call after my wife with me around is just unacceptable.

I know what you guys are thinking - he better not move to Chile? LOL :-)
Hey there! As a born and raised Chilean woman, I think it is totally acceptable that you approach the specimen in question and demand the respect that you/ your wife/ every woman deserves (how courteously you do this is up to you, but I wouldn't go as far as to kick their butts). I do it everytime that a guy makes any remarks when I'm passing by them and, believe me, I have never regretted it after seeing the ashamed look on their stupid faces :lol:

Bourgeoisique

Post by Bourgeoisique » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm going to teach you a nice little phrase:

"Vete a la mierda."

This is your all purpose comeback. Otherwise, you could just try flipping the bird, that's pretty universal.

Find something real to worry about. Western civilization is decaying under the weight of its own corruption, the existent political order is regressing into a new dark age, and you are complaining about your own vanity. This sort of shallow preoccupation is more sexually demeaning to women than the "cat calls" that are the source of this preoccupation. Let me demonstrate this phrase on you:

Vete a la mierda.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:09 pm

As somebody who is often subjected to catcalls from the opposite sex, I can attest that saying something like that will all of a sudden make you look totally un-sexy, but you need the proper facial expression to go with it.

Alldaylikewtf

Post by Alldaylikewtf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Just wanted to write to all the women reading this. You guys have every right in the world to be upset. You deserve change. You deserve men who will go to fight for your rights to live without fear of being objectified. My wife, a chilean, hates it and she is accustomed. She has come home crying before because it gets so bad sometimes. I am at wits end on what I can do. I'm no lawyer and dont know how to affect change in chile. But there are ppl who do and are willing to help. Do not listen to all the dip shits who respond with, this is the culture... Cant stand the heat... Other more important issues... What a load of crap. Bunch of jaded fools who are no different than all the shit monkeys (chilean men) that wear their bad genes like a badge of honor. So, please, I hope in some way I can encourage you all to be concerned enough to do something. Apathy is so chilean...

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:35 pm

If only I had folks calling out to me all day how awesomely hot I looked... I might actually feel good. I don't get why you folks can't stand that.

Appreciation: Such a horrible thing to have to be subjected to!!!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Alldaylikewtf wrote:Just wanted to write to all the women reading this. You guys have every right in the world to be upset. You deserve change. You deserve men who will go to fight for your rights to live without fear of being objectified. My wife, a chilean, hates it and she is accustomed. She has come home crying before because it gets so bad sometimes. I am at wits end on what I can do. I'm no lawyer and dont know how to affect change in chile. But there are ppl who do and are willing to help. Do not listen to all the dip shits who respond with, this is the culture... Cant stand the heat... Other more important issues... What a load of crap. Bunch of jaded fools who are no different than all the shit monkeys (chilean men) that wear their bad genes like a badge of honor. So, please, I hope in some way I can encourage you all to be concerned enough to do something. Apathy is so chilean...
Please read...........
http://www.theclinic.cl/2015/03/17/como ... -piropear/
https://www.facebook.com/ocacchile
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Alldaylikewtf

Post by Alldaylikewtf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:09 am

ExpatBob wrote:If only I had folks calling out to me all day how awesomely hot I looked... I might actually feel good. I don't get why you folks can't stand that.

Appreciation: Such a horrible thing to have to be subjected to!!!
Typical hombre caliente. Only thinking with your dick. Just yesterday, some weon, like you, grabbed his crotch and licked his lips at my 10 year old daughter... You think my little girl appreciated that? And every fucking day when we walk her home from school? Yeah thats good stuff right there... Asshole

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:50 am

I think "some weon" and ExpatBob are not the same type of person. Clearly "some weon" is messed up and should be locked up. Little bit harsh on ExpatBob. Is it your wife who cries or you?

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Post by marti » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:52 am

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.