Cat calls when I am with my children.

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
El Chupacabra

Re: Cat calls when I am with my children.

Post by El Chupacabra » Sat May 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Living the life!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I could post a link to a recent Mil Tambores video. Imagine young chilenas and even gringas prancing around topless to nude in Valpo! How's that for promoting an end to catcall culture! :P
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

carica

Post by carica » Sat May 05, 2012 2:48 pm

El Chupacabra wrote:
Inserting obligatory sexy women to complete the thread. After all, that's why I keep coming back to read it.
What, Murf wasn't hotttt enough for you?

Anyway, you forgot the sexy picture of her lugging around 3 children. THAT's what this thread is all about.. what do you mean you didn't read it?

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 pm

carica wrote:
El Chupacabra wrote:
Inserting obligatory sexy women to complete the thread. After all, that's why I keep coming back to read it.
What, Murf wasn't hotttt enough for you?

Anyway, you forgot the sexy picture of her lugging around 3 children. THAT's what this thread is all about.. what do you mean you didn't read it?
Oh I read it, I just have a very selective memory.

and I'm not ashamed to say that Murf is a very sexy man!
Living the life!

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Ladies, you should abandon this thread, and take this issue up exclusively with Chilean women you know.
Its your only hope of hearing anything meaningful. Bickering about this with guys on a forum....
The only posible relevance this has for men, is maybe if they have daughters. My Chilean wife and I are much more concerned about latino men as bosses or husbands. For us, this piropo issue is only really relevant as an indicator of domestic or work place abuse. Something very arbitrary. In and of itself, if you dont like it, you better at least get used to it. Or over it.
It is not your place to change it. Not gonna happen.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

murf

Post by murf » Sat May 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Moooo And oink,
I wonder which one is which. :mrgreen:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat May 05, 2012 8:40 pm

At least it is called a piropo in Chile and not a cat-call.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 am

Oh the predictable approach: I do not like something. Let us have a law against it. And end up with a legal system like that of that of the US. What simple solutions simple minds come up with, and what complicated problems they create.

I propose re-titling the post: Why I like Latinas (Said in the same voice as the zombie kid saying "I like turtles"). For starters, they have some pride in appearance infamously lacking in their northern feminist cousins. Second, in general, unlike feminists, Latinas are very feminine. Third, they recognize that men and women are in fact different, both in good ways and bad ways. And they do such a nice job of using their own strengths to compensate for, or outright take advantage of, both male weakness and male strength. Thank God I am married to a Chilena. She tells people, right in front of me, that she permits me to think I run things. And I still think I do exactly that, in spite of lots of evidence to the contrary! Win-Win.

I think the thread has been very useful in showing certain cultural differences. Conclusion: Piggish men and ardent feminists deserve one another. Classic gringo men and classic Latinas are made for one another. Latin machista sorts and feminists do not mix, except to entertain the rest of us and to give rise to really stupid laws.

John Hyre

PS: And I still find the viewing of "Feminist Outrage Trumps Cultural Sensitivity" almost as funny as your random Joe Biden remark.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 am

seawolf180 wrote:Ladies, you should abandon this thread, and take this issue up exclusively with Chilean women you know.
Its your only hope of hearing anything meaningful. Bickering about this with guys on a forum....
The only posible relevance this has for men, is maybe if they have daughters. My Chilean wife and I are much more concerned about latino men as bosses or husbands. For us, this piropo issue is only really relevant as an indicator of domestic or work place abuse. Something very arbitrary. In and of itself, if you dont like it, you better at least get used to it. Or over it.
It is not your place to change it. Not gonna happen.
Thus why we never employ Chilean males in our office. Tried it once, he did not last long.

Here is the the problem. I would bet, if one of our outraged gringas was to have this conversation with a nice sample of say 10 groups of Chilean women at a dinner party or whatever, and stick a bug under the table before they leave, they would have some very interesting perspectives on just how it is really viewed among Chilean women and more importantly how gringas are viewed.

I am sure you will get all sorts of polite comments about how they hate it, are outraged too, while you are sitting there, and the moment you leave the room the conversation will change to something like "can you believe the crazy gringa...".

yea, they probably overall do not like it, but they are going to really dislike the gringa trying to insert whatever in to their culture. Why do I say this? Because, please, you are not first gringa to be outraged by it I have seen in Chile. Your definitely not the first to try and bring it up to women in Chile. I have seen some really pissed off Chilean women, at the outraged gringa over the subject.

Let me put it another way. From the perspective of a lot of Chilean women, it comes off as predatory and condescending. On the one hand it is the equivalent of telling Chilean women they dress like sluts, and on the other hand, it is telling them they are all too stupid and backwards third-worlders to understand. However insulting cat calls might be, that will be way more insulting. Being told by some gringa how to live their life, and more importantly, how to relate to men in their country, will not get friendly reception from the female population.

It is something that Chilean women need to Change, not some gringa.

Say, since this thread started, I have been taking a rather informal survey as I am out and about regarding cat calls. In the south of Chile, I have not heard a single cat call. I even stood on a busy street corner for several hours yesterday, in a medium size blue collar town, and over the course of three hours there was not one cat call. For some reason in that town every single female, from old to young, seems to have adopted jeans that are way too tight as the local fashion. Way tighter than I have seen anywhere else. So it was not like there was a shortage of women worthy of a cat call, there just was none. Several thousands men and women passed that corner in the course of 3 hours, and not a single one.

So, perhaps outside the occasional construction site in the rest of the country (even those are pretty tame), this is not a national problem in any way shape or form for Chile. It is Santiago / Central region problem. If you don't like cat calls, move out of the central region. In particular, move out of Santiago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Andres

this thread good entertainment

Post by Andres » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am

admin wrote:. . . From the perspective of a lot of Chilean women, it comes off as . . . condescending. . . .
That is exactly the word my polola used when she saw responses by gringas to her opinion (stated in the second post of this thread) .
She finds the thread amusing, not worthy of response and reads it for entertainment when she wants a break from her work.
So please keep the thread going.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 am

Hey don't group all the central region as Santiasco. I call it the Santiasco-Valpo-Viña axis which TG I am outside of. :)

One of our youngish chilena friends from Santiago was surprised by the lack of aggressive cat calling while walking sola literally through Santo Domingo from the beach to the entrance of the community and the main highway.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: this thread good entertainment

Post by admin » Sun May 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Andres wrote:
admin wrote:. . . From the perspective of a lot of Chilean women, it comes off as . . . condescending. . . .
That is exactly the word my polola used when she saw responses by gringas to her opinion (stated in the second post of this thread) .
She finds the thread amusing, not worthy of response and reads it for entertainment when she wants a break from her work.
So please keep the thread going.
Yea, when I mentioned this thread to my wife, she rolled her eyes and said she was not even going to read it. She has had arguments over the cat call issue with gringas (in particular, her gringa step-mother) that have almost turned in to cat fights.

We need a proper name for the Bermuda triangle / axis of evil of Santiasco-Valpo-Viña. It seems most of things that give Chile a bad name, are somehow traceable to those geographical coordinates.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.