How to read a forum

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Ripsigg

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Ripsigg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

I've lost a lot of respect in the last day for many of the formerly respected posters. I'm far from a hippy. I've just been around and know that it is better to respect those around you and the places that you go.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener

"When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." - Clifton Fadiman

Afterburner

Post by Afterburner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Ripsigg wrote:I've lost a lot of respect in the last day for many of the formerly respected posters. I'm far from a hippy. I've just been around and know that it is better to respect those around you and the places that you go.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener

"When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." - Clifton Fadiman
+ 1. It has nothing at all to do with p c. I dislike p c myself.

Let's see the p c defence should we choose to categorise some other protected group in ethnic or racist terms.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Px,

I like the Twain quotes, he was a genius. So as far as Twainesque satire goes, I get it. I think you need to work on it a bit more. A one-time witty jab is one thing. Hammering the same point incessently is quite another. His deft handling of a verbal rapier and your repeated assaults with a 30 pound mace are not quite the same thing.

Admittedly, morays have changed, and for the worse. Much of what Twain (not to mention, say, HL Mencken) said would draw condemnation in our Brave New World full of oh-so-sensitive people.

John Hyre

martagill

Post by martagill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm

JHyre wrote:Px,

I like the Twain quotes, he was a genius. So as far as Twainesque satire goes, I get it. I think you need to work on it a bit more. A one-time witty jab is one thing. Hammering the same point incessently is quite another. His deft handling of a verbal rapier and your repeated assaults with a 30 pound mace are not quite the same thing.

Admittedly, morays have changed, and for the worse. Much of what Twain (not to mention, say, HL Mencken) said would draw condemnation in our Brave New World full of oh-so-sensitive people.

John Hyre
Eggxactly! However, in Px's defense, after being severely bludgeoned all week long, perhaps he may need to step back and regain his accustomed composure so he can renew his more witty observations... 8)

And I would like to comment on the Chilean food which Px is so fond (not!) of. Well prepared Chilean food is fantastic. You just may not get to taste it at all and sundry restaurants, which can be very hit and miss, lacking in creativity, and expensive to boot many times for very substandard fare, even "good" restaurants. Santiago has a much better offer in this regard. It's about the lack of proper compensation to the chefs for one thing and the whole way of the owners mismanaging their staff in general. Son muy negreros, which does not generally make for very motivated employees. La Cocina Chilean Criolla is knock your socks off good. So, that's my two cents. But I have been very disappointed on many an occasion in eating out in Chile. Very inconsistent fare in general, even the good restaurants. That's not to say that there aren't fantastic restaurants all over Chile. But I don't expect to walk into a hole in the wall in Chile and eat something wonderful. That's usually not going to happen, unless you get very lucky.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Px,

If one reads Twain, for example, the jabs, while (in)famous, were comparatively modest portions of a much greater and more descriptive body of work. I would not agree that the particular items you have quoted properly represent the full context and body of what those greats wrote. Rather, they represent a skewed sample and a flawed justification of far greater use of such statements on your part than is helpful. A witty barb here & again is one thing. A constant barrage of the same is a different thing entirely. I think your style is overdone and tends to detract from the overall message, witness the recently flying fur. That's a shame, because you tend to get things right most of the time....only for it to be lost in the subsequent & predictable howling over the barbed barrage. Some people you will never make happy (e.g. - uber-sensitive leftie types), nor should reasonable people bother to try. But I think your approach throws out a lot of baby with the bathwater.

John Hyre

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Well, alrighty then. We ain't gonna agree. Not the first time, won't be the last. I'd say have fun, but you obviously are doing exactly that.

John Hyre

john

Post by john » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:56 pm

patagoniax wrote:
JHyre wrote:Well, alrighty then. We ain't gonna agree. Not the first time, won't be the last. I'd say have fun, but you obviously are doing exactly that.
Good insight. It is great theatre, and I enjoy every bit of it. Might even be blamed for a bit of Schadenfreude in all of this, as well.

Interesting observation: the Left/Progressive/Anarchist side characteristically employs outrageous and vulgar exhibitionism to draw attention and outrage, and we have come to expect it of them. Yet when anyone not in their club attempts even a shadow of the same, they.... just..... can't..... handle it.
A Progressive's response: Outrageous exhibitionism, frequently ... vulgar exhibitionism, occasionally ... but neither forms of exhibitionism are employed to be hurtful or demeaning, nor are they bigoted in tone.

You are incorrigibile! :(
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell