How to read a forum

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Afterburner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Afterburner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:32 pm

So, to address the important point, would you hyphenate "dog faeces"?

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: How to read a forum

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Afterburner wrote:So, to address the important point, would you hyphenate "dog faeces"?
I quickly wrote this guide for you.......... hope it helps

Rule 1
To check whether a compound noun is two words, one word, or hyphenated, you may need to look it up in the dictionary. If you can't find the word in the dictionary, treat the noun as separate words.

Examples:
eyewitness, eye shadow, eye-opener

NOTE:
All these words had to be looked up in the dictionary to know what to do with them!

Rule 2
Phrases that have verb, noun, and adjective forms should appear as separate words when used as verbs and as one word when used as nouns or adjectives.

Examples:
The engine will eventually break down. (verb)
We suffered a breakdown in communications. (noun)
Please clean up your room. (verb)
That Superfund site will require specialized cleanup procedures. (adjective)

Rule 3
Compound verbs are either hyphenated or appear as one word. If you do not find the verb in the dictionary, hyphenate it.

Examples:
To air-condition the house will be costly.
We were notified that management will downsize the organization next year.

Rule 4
Generally, hyphenate between two or more adjectives when they come before a noun and act as a single idea.

Examples:
friendly-looking man
(compound adjective in front of a noun)
friendly little girl
(not a compound adjective)
brightly lit room
(Brightly is an adverb describing lit, not an adjective.)

Rule 5
When adverbs not ending in -ly are used as compound words in front of a noun, hyphenate. When the combination of words is used after the noun, do not hyphenate.

Examples:
The well-known actress accepted her award.
Well is an adverb followed by another descriptive word. They combine to form one idea in front of the noun.

The actress who accepted her award was well known.
Well known follows the noun it describes, so no hyphen is used.

A long-anticipated decision was finally made.
He got a much-needed haircut yesterday.
His haircut was much needed.

Rule 6
Remember to use a comma, not a hyphen, between two adjectives when you could have used and between them.

Examples:
I have important, classified documents.
Jennifer received a lovely, fragrant bouquet on Valentine's Day.

Rule 7
Hyphenate all compound numbers from twenty-one through ninety-nine.

Examples:
The teacher had thirty-two children in her classroom.
Only twenty-one of the children were bilingual.

Rule 8
Hyphenate all spelled-out fractions.

Examples:
You need one-third of a cup of sugar for that recipe.
More than one-half of the student body voted for removing soda machines from campus.

Hyphens with Prefixes

Rule 1
The current trend is to do away with unnecessary hyphens. Therefore, attach most prefixes and suffixes onto root words without a hyphen.

Examples:
noncompliance
copayment
semiconscious
fortyish

Rule 2:
Hyphenate prefixes when they come before proper nouns.

Example:
un-American

Rule 3
Hyphenate prefixes ending in an a or i only when the root word begins with the same letter.

Examples:
ultra-ambitious
semi-invalid

Rule 4
When a prefix ends in one vowel and a root word begins with a different vowel, generally attach them without a hyphen.

Examples:
antiaircraft
proactive

Rule 5
Prefixes and root words that result in double e's and double o's are usually combined to form one word.

Examples:
preemployment
coordinate

Exceptions:
de-emphasize
co-owner

Rule 6
Hyphenate all words beginning with self except for selfish and selfless.

Examples:
self-assured
self-respect
self-addressed

Rule 7
Use a hyphen with the prefix ex.

Example:
His ex-wife sued for nonsupport.

Rule 8
Use the hyphen with the prefix re only when:

the re means again AND omitting the hyphen would cause confusion with another word.

Examples:
Will she recover from her illness?
Re does not mean again.

I have re-covered the sofa twice.
Re does mean again AND omitting the hyphen would have caused confusion with another word.

The stamps have been reissued.
Re means again but would not cause confusion with another word.

I must re-press the shirt.
Re means again AND omitting the hyphen would have caused confusion with another word.

Afterburner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Afterburner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 pm

zer0nz wrote:
Afterburner wrote:So, to address the important point, would you hyphenate "dog faeces"?
I quickly wrote this guide for you.......... hope it helps

Rule 1
To check whether a compound noun is two words, one word, or hyphenated, you may need to look it up in the dictionary. If you can't find the word in the dictionary, treat the noun as separate words.

Examples:
eyewitness, eye shadow, eye-opener

NOTE:
All these words had to be looked up in the dictionary to know what to do with them!

Rule 2
Phrases that have verb, noun, and adjective forms should appear as separate words when used as verbs and as one word when used as nouns or adjectives.

Examples:
The engine will eventually break down. (verb)
We suffered a breakdown in communications. (noun)
Please clean up your room. (verb)
That Superfund site will require specialized cleanup procedures. (adjective)

Rule 3
Compound verbs are either hyphenated or appear as one word. If you do not find the verb in the dictionary, hyphenate it.

Examples:
To air-condition the house will be costly.
We were notified that management will downsize the organization next year.

Rule 4
Generally, hyphenate between two or more adjectives when they come before a noun and act as a single idea.

Examples:
friendly-looking man
(compound adjective in front of a noun)
friendly little girl
(not a compound adjective)
brightly lit room
(Brightly is an adverb describing lit, not an adjective.)

Rule 5
When adverbs not ending in -ly are used as compound words in front of a noun, hyphenate. When the combination of words is used after the noun, do not hyphenate.

Examples:
The well-known actress accepted her award.
Well is an adverb followed by another descriptive word. They combine to form one idea in front of the noun.

The actress who accepted her award was well known.
Well known follows the noun it describes, so no hyphen is used.

A long-anticipated decision was finally made.
He got a much-needed haircut yesterday.
His haircut was much needed.

Rule 6
Remember to use a comma, not a hyphen, between two adjectives when you could have used and between them.

Examples:
I have important, classified documents.
Jennifer received a lovely, fragrant bouquet on Valentine's Day.

Rule 7
Hyphenate all compound numbers from twenty-one through ninety-nine.

Examples:
The teacher had thirty-two children in her classroom.
Only twenty-one of the children were bilingual.

Rule 8
Hyphenate all spelled-out fractions.

Examples:
You need one-third of a cup of sugar for that recipe.
More than one-half of the student body voted for removing soda machines from campus.

Hyphens with Prefixes

Rule 1
The current trend is to do away with unnecessary hyphens. Therefore, attach most prefixes and suffixes onto root words without a hyphen.

Examples:
noncompliance
copayment
semiconscious
fortyish

Rule 2:
Hyphenate prefixes when they come before proper nouns.

Example:
un-American

Rule 3
Hyphenate prefixes ending in an a or i only when the root word begins with the same letter.

Examples:
ultra-ambitious
semi-invalid

Rule 4
When a prefix ends in one vowel and a root word begins with a different vowel, generally attach them without a hyphen.

Examples:
antiaircraft
proactive

Rule 5
Prefixes and root words that result in double e's and double o's are usually combined to form one word.

Examples:
preemployment
coordinate

Exceptions:
de-emphasize
co-owner

Rule 6
Hyphenate all words beginning with self except for selfish and selfless.

Examples:
self-assured
self-respect
self-addressed

Rule 7
Use a hyphen with the prefix ex.

Example:
His ex-wife sued for nonsupport.

Rule 8
Use the hyphen with the prefix re only when:

the re means again AND omitting the hyphen would cause confusion with another word.

Examples:
Will she recover from her illness?
Re does not mean again.

I have re-covered the sofa twice.
Re does mean again AND omitting the hyphen would have caused confusion with another word.

The stamps have been reissued.
Re means again but would not cause confusion with another word.

I must re-press the shirt.
Re means again AND omitting the hyphen would have caused confusion with another word.
Thanks. I'll take that as a no.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2994
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: How to read a forum

Post by nwdiver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Ok I'll bite what was that 13,000,000 people reference about? I asked but never got an answer. Maybe I shouldn’t have also said we only hear from you when you have a new blog entry to promote.

And I can assure you as dog feces contain DNA and we share around 75% of our DNA with dogs there is real dog DNA in everyone on earth, well maybe not the aliens who live among us and you know who you are. ;)
It's all about the wine.

Afterburner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Afterburner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:44 pm

nwdiver wrote:Ok I'll bite what was that 13,000,000 people reference about? I asked but never got an answer. Maybe I shouldn’t have also said we only hear from you when you have a new blog entry to promote.
A pre-googling estimate of the population of Chile?

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: How to read a forum

Post by zer0nz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Afterburner wrote:
nwdiver wrote:Ok I'll bite what was that 13,000,000 people reference about? I asked but never got an answer. Maybe I shouldn’t have also said we only hear from you when you have a new blog entry to promote.
A pre-googling estimate of the population of Chile?
that starts to make sense,

He is actually wrong, there alot of chileans who despise how chile is as a whole...

He obviously has not worked ina middle class office in santiago.....

every day they call there own people dogs!

Ever night when there power is cut because some pobre wants something for free,

Every day they have to replace a tyre in there car because someone thought blocking a road because they want someting for free was a good idea,

every time they have to take the long way home because a road is cut,

And damn, the people my age, they are absolutly shocked about the "en toma" of the schools, they had less when they want to school than half the schools who are in toma had, they dont understand why they are en toma

Afterburner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Afterburner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:11 pm

zer0nz wrote:He is actually wrong, there alot of chileans who despise how chile is as a whole...
The admirable capacity Chileans possess for self-criticism is not in doubt. Perhaps that's one reason why they are leading the way in South America.

User avatar
seawolf180
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 pm
Location: Pichilemu

Re: How to read a forum

Post by seawolf180 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 pm

nwdiver wrote:Ok I'll bite what was that 13,000,000 people reference about? I asked but never got an answer. Maybe I shouldn’t have also said we only hear from you when you have a new blog entry to promote.

And I can assure you as dog feces contain DNA and we share around 75% of our DNA with dogs there is real dog DNA in everyone on earth, well maybe not the aliens who live among us and you know who you are. ;)
Those are the some of the other 13,000,001 who didn't just say No to a whole lot of drugs.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

Afterburner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Afterburner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:46 pm

For that matter, should "Masters" really be capitalised all on its own like that?

User avatar
Chuck J 3.0
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm not a grammar nazi. I should cast the first stone...... :roll: I always have problems with possessive case and all that stuff. i.e. James or James's etc. And Nazi? Should it be capitalised or not? It is actually an acronym N.A.Z.I. Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei Anyway, I respect anyone's opinion to to say anything they want on this forum - within the limits imposed by the owner and whatever law it is supposedly under regarding freedom of speech. I enjoy differing opinions, don't have any problem with it. If you've been on Internet phora any length of time you know how it works regarding personalities and drama. Just enjoy it. :D
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle

Afterburner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: How to read a forum

Post by Afterburner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Chuck J 3.0 wrote:I'm not a grammar nazi.
Neither am I. But consider (or read) the source.

john
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 6130
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:11 am
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile

Re: How to read a forum

Post by john » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:25 am

zer0nz wrote:
Afterburner wrote:
nwdiver wrote:Ok I'll bite what was that 13,000,000 people reference about? I asked but never got an answer. Maybe I shouldn’t have also said we only hear from you when you have a new blog entry to promote.
A pre-googling estimate of the population of Chile?
that starts to make sense,

He is actually wrong, there alot (a lot) of chileans who despise how Chile is as a whole...

He obviously has not worked ina (in a) middle class office in santiago.....

every day they call there (their) own people dogs!

Ever night when there (their) power is cut because some pobre wants something for free,

Every day they have to replace a tyre in there (their)car because someone thought blocking a road because they want someting for free was a good idea,

every time they have to take the long way home because a road is cut,

And damn, the people my age, they are absolutly shocked about the "en toma" of the schools, they had less when they want (went) to school than half the schools who (that) are in toma had, they dont understand why they are en toma
It seems you know how to hyphenate, or not ... other grammar, not so much. :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Locked