Illegal use of Apple logo on Chilean TV?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
fadgaget

Illegal use of Apple logo on Chilean TV?

Post by fadgaget » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this belongs in this section of the forum but I keep seeing continued use of Apple computers (Macs, etc) on Chilean novelas and even the news. How is this even possible? I'm fairly sure Apple is VERY strict about the use of its products without the logo being covered (like on US tv, many times the logo on the back of the laptop will be covered, etc) and yet here I see apple products all over Chilean tv. I find it a bit hard to believe that Apple would be so gracious as to let Chilean tv use its logos all over the place and not the majority of US tv shows.

Any thoughts on this one?

have a great rest of the day everyone!

Donnybrook

Re: Illegal use of Apple logo on Chilean TV?

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Surely it is product placement? Companies pay a lot to get their logo on TV and in movies.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 pm

probably illegal..... probably no one cares, apple is only represented by resellers here.....

fadgaget

Post by fadgaget » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm

@donny, at first I thought that too but considering the backwards way Chile does business it made me wonder....why do they show it on tv WAY more than on US tv shows? especially considering that there's no way in hell the average chilean can even afford a mac, etc. That product is DEFINITELY for the more well to do folks, which is a very small fraction of the population. So I guess I'm just wondering.....Why on earth would Apple seek out product placement in a Chilean Tv market when its super super strict with the US market? you know??

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 pm

fadgaget wrote:@donny, at first I thought that too but considering the backwards way Chile does business it made me wonder....why do they show it on tv WAY more than on US tv shows? especially considering that there's no way in hell the average chilean can even afford a mac, etc. That product is DEFINITELY for the more well to do folks, which is a very small fraction of the population. So I guess I'm just wondering.....Why on earth would Apple seek out product placement in a Chilean Tv market when its super super strict with the US market? you know??
you know, apple might not be strict in the US market.....

The logo could be blanked out to not give free advertising????????? or conflict with products who have paid for product placement..... at the end of the day you have to have a computer in your scene, apples look sexy..... but the company paying the $1m for there sports water to be shown dont want to see apple logos getting displayed for free....