El legado del Che, tomo XVIII

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Donnybrook

Re: El legado del Che, tomo XVIII

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 pm

I can't decide if I think the Che would think it wonderfully ironic that he was being used to market the Mercedes or if he would be horrified.

john

Post by john » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

Surfer pulls family from van that plunged off Balboa Island ferry-latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... otogallery

It was a mercedes that bumbed the dodge van off the ferry -- the poor unfortunates were a Taiwan family on vacation in So. Cal. It's not known if the mercedes driver thought they were Cuban-Americans. :twisted:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 am

I remember keeping Che's autobiography out of view while reading it in Miami. I knew better. I dare one of those fellows to walk down Calle 8 wearing that image on his shirt. To outsiders the image is fashionable, in Miami, it's personal.
We agree to disagree.

john

Post by john » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 am

patagoniax wrote:
john wrote:Surfer pulls family from van that plunged off Balboa Island ferry-latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... otogallery

It was a mercedes that bumbed the dodge van off the ferry -- the poor unfortunates were a Taiwan family on vacation in So. Cal. It's not known if the mercedes driver thought they were Cuban-Americans. :twisted:
Interesting....I used to live very close to that ferry (on the peninsula side, on East Bay Avenue) while I was studying at Univ of California in the 1960s. In fact I sometimes took that ferry when I rode my bicycle from peninsula to campus. And near that ferry is where I met the Mercedes (la française, from Lyon) who lived with me in Vancouver back then.
Ah, memory lane! I lived in East Bluff about a mile from the ferry on the Balboa Island side and I used to take the ferry to go across to the Pavilion. My older daughter worked the ferry after school during her senior year at Corona del Mar high school.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 am

patagoniax wrote:
john wrote: Ah, memory lane! I lived in East Bluff about a mile from the ferry on the Balboa Island side and I used to take the ferry to go across to the Pavilion. My older daughter worked the ferry after school during her senior year at Corona del Mar high school.
I worked at the Pavilon. I probably spilled soup on you when you came in to dine.
That was you??? :lol:
--- Bertrand Russell

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:22 am

Remember when Michelle Bachelet got her panties all hot when she was told Fidel was ready for her to come in and give homage. Same kinda thing all the way around. Ignorant, politicallt correct, and leaders in the "free world" alike. Glamorizing revolution. Like all the summary executions were, are, a minor detail not to be brought up.

I grew up in Laguna. Going to Balboa Island, on the ferry, and then dinner at the Crab Cooker was a yearly pilgrimage for our family.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 am

Since we (john, seawolf, and px) were all evidently neighbours there in the 1960s, y'all will remember this:
All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey... :wink: :wink:
We agree to disagree.

rican

Post by rican » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:41 am

You guys are old
Donnybrook wrote:I can't decide if I think the Che would think it wonderfully ironic that he was being used to market the Mercedes or if he would be horrified.
He would have bomb the shit out of the factory and driven out on an SLK with the top down smoking a cigar and posing with an AK on his hip. That's what the world is missing, a flamboyant terrorist.

rican

Post by rican » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:28 pm

If it wasn't for the time spent in Miami, I would only know Che as the guy on the t-shirts.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:02 pm

As one who has taught in both private and public schools in the USA I can say that, no, the more interesting chaps in history are not included in the curriculum. Apparently US history ends with WWII.
On another note: Che got his hands chopped off? Did this happen in Africa?
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

patagoniax wrote:
momof3 wrote:
On another note: Che got his hands chopped off? Did this happen in Africa?
Yes, you did teach in the US.
:thumleft:
We agree to disagree.

rican

Post by rican » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 pm

patagoniax wrote:
chernandez wrote:If it wasn't for the time spent in Miami, I would only know Che as the guy on the t-shirts.
Attila the Hun? Joseph Stalin? Slobodan Milosevic? Vlad the Impaler? Pol Pot? Any of those names figure into your education?

Wait... you went to public school in the US, right?
Yep, yep, yep, no clue. El Che was not really studied beyond the cursory mention when learning about the Cuban revolution, which was barely discussed. Going through school in the latter years of the cold war, we mostly focused on the Cuban missile crisis. It was not until college, with the wannabe Communists, where I really got to understand his involvement in the revolucion and other "incidents". So yeah, Che did not quite fit in my education as much as let's say Stalin, who rarely gets credit for being a fucking psycho murderer of millions.