Conditions

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
admin
Site Admin

Conditions

Post by admin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Please keep your comments objective. Personal attacks will be cut.

STORKLADY53

Re: Conditions

Post by STORKLADY53 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Charles,
How goes it down in Temuco? Are you flooded out yet? Hopefully you are safe and high and dry.

Wondering, now that I have lived here for 2 mths. and visited here twice b/4 moving here...why do Chileans throw garbage out everywhere? This is such a beautiful country...but the trash everywhere really detracts from the beauty. Any ideas/solutions/etc.? I realize that the huge stray dog population adds to this problem as they all tend to dig through the trash and tear things up and leave a mess behind. But besides that...people just seem to throw all kinds of trash, yard debris, etc. wherever they like. Any laws on this yet? Are there landfills available to all so that this problem could be worked on? This reminds me to some extent of the litter problems in the States in the 60's that ignited the nationwide litter campaign that still exists today and exacts stiff fines for those who litter.

Jill

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Charles...on another note/question/concern. My husband was discussing a nuisance dog with his mother. We are living in his mother's little cabana near the sea. The neighbor next door, who comes on wkends only generally...has a dog that barks continually. Whenever he is out and we are out in the yard he barks angrily at us. It is driving us both batty. When he asked his mother what could be done, she basically said nothing. She said 'don't do anything to the dog or you will go to jail'. Now I am not proposing harm to animals...but really...what do we have here? are the dogs the 'sacred cows' of Chile. Are there not noise/nuisance ordinances anywhere? What I mean to ask specifically is...is there indeed a law on the books protecting dogs?

Jill

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Conditions ......................to what??. weather, personal, living??? Can you please be more specific????
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 pm

STORKLADY53, you may want to re-post these questions in: 'Living in Chile'. Though, the question "why Chilean dogs throw out their garbage everywhere and if there are any laws on this" must go to: 'Legal Issues'. :)

STORKLADY53

Post by STORKLADY53 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Oooops. My bad as the kids say in the US. I did not see the date that Charles started this. Will pose the question on the other boards as suggested.

J.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Storklady, don't get me wrong, I really love dogs but.... there comes a time when the dog needs to shut up. We had a job in a ritzy gated community a while ago where the neighbour's dog (a big shepherd) was scaring the cr@p out of my labourers and trying to get through the chain link fence. I tried to talk to the owner but he just blew me off. The guys were afraid to work along the fence line.
Ultimately I went to a local outdoorsman store (like Cabela's) and bought Grizzly repellent spray. This 10% OC spray comes in a large can with a fire extinguisher type valve on the top. The dog went after me and I nailed him. After that, there was at most desultory barking and usually a hasty retreat.
I throw this out there in an effort to head off the possibility that your husband might do something rash.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

tombrad2

Post by tombrad2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:43 pm

One of the problems that gringos often experience in Chile is our lack of rules and community spirit as in America or Europe. It is not common here that people welcome a new neighbor with a cake or sort of that, people here is very individualistic and tend to keep their noses out of their neighbors lives. We are also very tolerant with annoying noises from childs, dogs barking, loud music, etc. we think that we have not the right to rule our neighbors lives even in they annoy us. This is not an aggressive behavior, not intentionally at least, but claim or try to rule others lifestyle is often interpreted as arrogant or agressive.

No way to solve this problem, you may try bringing a lady dog, maybe this way the dog will find better things to do instead bark :D
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

jgb78uk

Post by jgb78uk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 pm

One of the problems that gringos often experience in Chile is our lack of rules and community spirit as in America or Europe. It is not common here that people welcome a new neighbor with a cake or sort of that, people here is very individualistic and tend to keep their noses out of their neighbors lives. We are also very tolerant with annoying noises from childs, dogs barking, loud music, etc. we think that we have not the right to rule our neighbors lives even in they annoy us.
That's very true. The one huge thing I miss from back home (apart from family, friends, cider and fish and chips) is the complete and utter lack of a community spirit. Having said that, I live in Santiago Centro! But even on spending a lot of time in other barrios and towns and places like Maipú, Providencia, Quinta Normal, La Dehesa, etc, all I generally see and sense is a slight distrust of one's neighbours and the family of one's neighbours and in-laws of one's neighnbours etc. etc. etc. No trust and zero respect.

In reality, no-one in my city back home (in the UK) would bring around a cake, biscuits or anything of the sort (like what happens in the movies!). But they would say hello, welcome you, get to know you, smile and stop you and chat in the street. People like to know about people - which can also be interpreted as nosiness. But I'd much prefer it that way than the gates, spiked walls, vicious dogs and casual mistrust i've experienced so far...

I have been living here for a year so far and each day I see or learn something about Chilean society that baffles me or outrages me.

An as for the noises, I couldn't even begin to list my grievances on here.... and Xmas is coming. :roll:

tombrad2

Post by tombrad2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:09 pm

I may add that friendship here tends to be more deep and people more solidary than other countries outside Latin America, despite this lack of respect with formalities. It is hard to me to explain, but I have seen huge levels of good manners and superficial friendship outside Latin America, but when you are in a real problem is very odd than your neigbors or even close friends get involved to help you.

In Latin America is contrary sense, people seems not interested nobody apart themselves but when you are in problem or you got a friend you will see how often they give their kidney if needed. I love the good manners abroad and would love we chileans have it, but not at the price of a superficial cordiality instead the deep involvement used between friends here.
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

tonyakaserg

Post by tonyakaserg » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:29 pm

All of this is quite general as my experience is very very different.. I have never had any problems with neighbours and visa versa.. I find that there is an unrealistic expectations by gringos that somehow Chileans need to behave the same way their fellow countrymen behave back home.. its just not going to happen.. the best you can do is learn to roll with the ponchos! I guess if you live in an apartment your experiences of noisy neighbours will certainly increase despite the geographical location... just a thought..
STORKLADY53 wrote:Charles...on another note/question/concern. My husband was discussing a nuisance dog with his mother. We are living in his mother's little cabana near the sea. The neighbor next door, who comes on weekends only generally...has a dog that barks continually. Whenever he is out and we are out in the yard he barks angrily at us. It is driving us both batty. When he asked his mother what could be done, she basically said nothing. She said 'don't do anything to the dog or you will go to jail'. Now I am not proposing harm to animals...but really...what do we have here? are the dogs the 'sacred cows' of Chile. Are there not noise/nuisance ordinances anywhere? What I mean to ask specifically is...is there indeed a law on the books protecting dogs?

Jill
Jill, as for the neighbours dog that wont stop his barking and so forth.. you can go to the Municipalidad and file a complaint.. if the dog is left unattended and no one cleans after him this is a serious health problem that the Municipalidad will have to look into.. hence why people let their dogs out on the street.. thus they dont have to deal with it.. dogs are not sacred they are just loved by people here who have come to learn to live with this 'problem' rather than spend money they should/could spend on other more 'serious' problems.. but as for the dog in the yard barking all day and no one to clean after him.. can definitely be reported.. surprised that you husbands family does not know this or is it that they dont want to cause problems with their neighbour?

jgb78uk

Post by jgb78uk » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Some fair points mentioned above, though I can't really agree with the superficial friendship/cordiality claim (only with regards to where I used to live and where I come from - a working class, housing estate with people from the lower rungs of British society of which I'm proud to be part of, no silver spoons here)... My experience has been that people in the community will help you and form real lifetime friendships that are not by any means superficial. And that old cliché is clearly true that the less they have got the more they will give.

I can't comment on anywhere else in Europe or USA because I have never lived there. :)

I think that maybe the problem in our different opinions is that we were and are foreigners living in a foreign country. We see it through completely different eyes. :roll: Whether it's a Brit or North American living in Chile or a Chilean living in France, Britain or USA for example.
In regards to departamentos, respect for your neighbors varies on the environment and class origin factors.
That's something else that confuses me living in a Santiago centro apartment and talking about class origin. As I mentioned, I come from a 'low' working class family that always struggled to pay the bills and never owned their own house etc etc but we had and still have respect for our neighbours and their feelings...

What's fundamentally wrong with the people where I live right now?
Help, please! :cry: :lol: :lol: