Welcome to slow and expensive

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
zer0nz

Re: Welcome to slow and expensive

Post by zer0nz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:21 pm

admin wrote:Google DNS is good, but I still prefer to have a DNS lookup locally, especially for 99% of my internet use is visiting the same sites and the lookup occures one hop away from my computer across a 1 gig ethernet cable to my router rather than going all the way around the World. Be kind to the internet and boost your internet speed by using something like dnsmaque. http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html , and set Google and some other open dns server as your upstream lookup, when it is not already in the cache. After a few days or weeks, once your cache is established, very little of your internet connections will involve an offsite lookup. That can add anywhere from a half a second to in my experience up to 5 or 10 seconds in connecting to a sites outside the country (especially if there is a lot of advertising that involves other domain lookups in the site).

Also, you will see a lot of what seems like dropped or timed out pages, start to smooth out or disappear.

i have 9 locally cached dns servers on our network :) no problems with dns now!

tdavi1124

Post by tdavi1124 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 am

I heard via the Santiago Times that they just tested LTE in one of Chile's Universities. Is it available commercially?

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 am

tdavi1124 wrote:I heard via the Santiago Times that they just tested LTE in one of Chile's Universities. Is it available commercially?
you mean 4th generation phone networks? still waiting on 3g in lots of parts...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 am

zer0nz wrote:
admin wrote:Google DNS is good, but I still prefer to have a DNS lookup locally, especially for 99% of my internet use is visiting the same sites and the lookup occures one hop away from my computer across a 1 gig ethernet cable to my router rather than going all the way around the World. Be kind to the internet and boost your internet speed by using something like dnsmaque. http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html , and set Google and some other open dns server as your upstream lookup, when it is not already in the cache. After a few days or weeks, once your cache is established, very little of your internet connections will involve an offsite lookup. That can add anywhere from a half a second to in my experience up to 5 or 10 seconds in connecting to a sites outside the country (especially if there is a lot of advertising that involves other domain lookups in the site).

Also, you will see a lot of what seems like dropped or timed out pages, start to smooth out or disappear.

9 is typically kind of overkill, depending on the size of the network and what you are doing. If you do need it, It likely works better if you point one dns server at the others, as the primaries, and secondaries. That way if one on the network has it cached, and the others do not, it spreads across the network. At some point it might actually create delays as it goes around trying to find out if any of the other servers have it, and the wait for their responses. I found 2-3 on a network is good balance, so in the event one or two go down, the network will continue to function normally. I don't think I would give my dns servers more than two backup dns inside the network, before going out to the internet to get a lookup. I also use my dnsmasque on tomato flashed routers for things like DHCP in the network and my own internal domain name system, vpn to our office in Temuco, and so on. So, a lot of the lookups have nothing to do with public DNS, but are critical to keep my network functioning correctly.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 am

admin wrote:
zer0nz wrote:

9 is typically kind of overkill, depending on the size of the network and what you are doing. If you do need it, It likely works better if you point one dns server at the others, as the primaries, and secondaries. That way if one on the network has it cached, and the others do not, it spreads across the network. At some point it might actually create delays as it goes around trying to find out if any of the other servers have it, and the wait for their responses. I found 2-3 on a network is good balance, so in the event one or two go down, the network will continue to function normally. I don't think I would give my dns servers more than two backup dns inside the network, before going out to the internet to get a lookup. I also use my dnsmasque on tomato flashed routers for things like DHCP in the network and my own internal domain name system, vpn to our office in Temuco, and so on. So, a lot of the lookups have nothing to do with public DNS, but are critical to keep my network functioning correctly.
7 sites on the wan by vpn, 2 sites without servers, 5 have there own DNS with 4 having backups!, each site connects to each other so a loss of a node keeps conectivity to each other, you dont want to see our internet bill each month, but its over 30uf last count

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 09, 2011 11:09 am

Yea, that is pretty messy. Perhaps one internal master root dns server would give you some sanity in keeping track of all of them.

I did something like this years ago when I installed dnsmaque on all of our computers, just to be sure (seemed like a good idea at the time). I had a internal dns cache problem, and the bad IP kept getting served on the network. It took me the longest time to figure out where the hell the computers were getting the bad IP addresses from. Finally figured out that it was a dns server running on a desktop, that I had forgotten about in our office in Temuco, and for some reason one computer was asking the other computer over the VPN for addresses. It was a computer that had gotten moved from my office to the downtown office at some point, and the existence of the vpn was transparent to the network computers.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MercyMe

Post by MercyMe » Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 am

I live in a rural area,(nowhere near an urban center) my service has improved, faster and cheaper but afterall, it does not really matter. I did not move to Chile for it´s great technology. I have read quite a few complaints about Chile and I have to say the best advise I ever received was "stop comparing your country with Chile and accept Chile for what it has to offer". I am not saying be complacent but if you put it into perspective, 10 years ago very few people had access to the net or computers and now Bill Gates dream has, almost come true, a computer on every desktop. Now that is something to applaud.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Thu May 26, 2011 12:39 am

MercyMe wrote:I live in a rural area,(nowhere near an urban center) my service has improved, faster and cheaper but afterall, it does not really matter. I did not move to Chile for it´s great technology. I have read quite a few complaints about Chile and I have to say the best advise I ever received was "stop comparing your country with Chile and accept Chile for what it has to offer". I am not saying be complacent but if you put it into perspective, 10 years ago very few people had access to the net or computers and now Bill Gates dream has, almost come true, a computer on every desktop. Now that is something to applaud.
Hmm, I believe that dream was a computer on every desktop running Windows (98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, etc...). :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 am

I really should run a user survey. I think it would be surprising that a large number of users are not using windows computers at all. Windows is likely still the largest, but on the forum disproportionate share to their use on the net overall. I think linux, macs, and cellphones are the top OS with our users. I will see if I can dig it out of the logs. Really have not paid much attention to that stat.