Who has read this...?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Who has read this...?

Post by admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I am just going to print out the forum, slap a nice cover on it, and post it Amazon. I can do a new edition a couple times of year.

Hey, by the way, for the cheapskate lazy authors out there not doing their own research but instead just scrape stuff off the forum or our other web sites, you see that copyright notice at the bottom of the site? yea, that is registered with the library of congress. It is active and regularly updated with them. I find the content of the forum being republished in a book without proper credit, and you will definitely need to raise your rates on Amazon to cover your legal fees.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 pm

admin wrote:I am just going to print out the forum, slap a nice cover on it, and post it Amazon. I can do a new edition a couple times of year.

Hey, by the way, for the cheapskate lazy authors out there not doing their own research but instead just scrape stuff off the forum or our other web sites, you see that copyright notice at the bottom of the site? yea, that is registered with the library of congress. It is active and regularly updated with them. I find the content of the forum being republished in a book without proper credit, and you will definitely need to raise your rates on Amazon to cover your legal fees.
I can vouch for the writer of this book. The info provided within said book did not begin to approach the quality or breadth covered in this forum.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 pm

pajaritoblanco wrote:
PenquistaDeCorazon wrote:Upon further reading of the Puiblisher's description on Amazon, there is nothing inherently deceitful on there. So as a one time special, only this week while supplies last, I have decided to not do a flame review. Or any review for that matter. But since the cat is out of the bag here on this forum, I would give the kindle edition half a star out of 5.
Hell, your review could have saved me £2.14. :x
You should visit the forum more often pajario..... It was reviewed 2 pages in..... I trust you had the same experience as I?

Gringo Pillo

Post by Gringo Pillo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I realized I have to start to read more books in Spanish and childrens books are a bit too boring so I bought the book Basta de historias! by Andrés Oppenheimer.
A really interesting book about Latin America. Of course is only one mans view and ideas but I think he has very good ideas.

Recommend it to everybody. You can also see what the book is about in this clip.
http://www.tvazteca.com/capitulos/la-en ... -historias

The book may be a shock to people who have thought highly about the education system in Latin America...

Aedmunds

Post by Aedmunds » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:19 am

PX,

Do you have any good English books about Chile, or even South America in Chile. I am coming finishing up a bad read and looking for something good.

I am reading Solitude: Seeking Wisdom in Extremes - A Year alone in the patagonia wilderness by Robert Kull. Maybe it will end up being one of those books I end up liking in the end after a bit of a struggle... but I have my doubts.

Unfortunately, my Spanish isn't good enough to read anything with substance.

RWS

Post by RWS » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 am

patagoniax wrote:. . . . Viejas estancias de la Patagonia - by Yuyú Guzmán . . . .
'Never even heard of it before, but it could be fascinating. Thanks, Px, for mentioning the book.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:27 pm

patagoniax wrote:
Gringo Pillo wrote:I realized I have to start to read more books in Spanish and childrens books are a bit too boring so I bought the book Basta de historias! by Andrés Oppenheimer.
A really interesting book about Latin America.
The book might be viewed as a complement to similar observations in "Guide to the Perfect Latin American Idiot" by authors Plinio Apuleyo Mendoza, Carlos Alberto Montaner, and Alvaro Vargas Llosa - the latter being the son of Nobel prize-winning author Mario Vargas Llosa. You can also find it in the original in Spanish in Chile as "Manual del perfecto idiota latinoamericano." The writing team of the original did a follow-up with El regreso del idiota. That set of books will help anyone understand development and social issues in much of Latinamerica. I was going to send my spare copies to Hugo Chavez.
Now that's a good read.
So is "Cuentos Chinos", by Andres Openheimer.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:20 pm

JaJa..... not working. It's spring here..... :)

Aedmunds

Post by Aedmunds » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Kull's book isn't so much about Chile or Patagonia as about the small space between his ears.
I couldn't agree more. However, since writing my post I decided to take another crack it. Although I think his research is bogus... and his expressed motive for doing what he did does not match his real motive (I wonder if he will figure that out after being alone for a year...), I have since taken a bit more interest in the book. I still think overall I will be unimpressed, but its not necessarily a dud in all aspects.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am not necessarily looking for books about Chile, Chilean culture, and expat transitions. Mostly, I just want some good reads on Chile - or Latin America.

Chaaaaauuuu

Aedmunds

Post by Aedmunds » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:53 am

Cheers for that PX. Now I gotta get through the book I am reading now so I can get to some of this. You recommendations sound right up my alley.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Yea, think I will write a book on expat living in Chile, as someone has to do it. I should have the link up by later this afternoon on amazon. Well, perhaps not this afternoon, but someday.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 pm

For the record, emphasis mine:
patagoniax wrote:
seawolf180 wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
Gringo Pillo wrote:I realized I have to start to read more books in Spanish and childrens books are a bit too boring so I bought the book Basta de historias! by Andrés Oppenheimer.
A really interesting book about Latin America.
The book might be viewed as a complement to similar observations in "Guide to the Perfect Latin American Idiot" by authors Plinio Apuleyo Mendoza, Carlos Alberto Montaner, and Alvaro Vargas Llosa - the latter being the son of Nobel prize-winning author Mario Vargas Llosa. You can also find it in the original in Spanish in Chile as "Manual del perfecto idiota latinoamericano." The writing team of the original did a follow-up with El regreso del idiota. That set of books will help anyone understand development and social issues in much of Latinamerica. I was going to send my spare copies to Hugo Chavez.
Now that's a good read.
So is "Cuentos Chinos", by Andres Openheimer.
Earlier poster was looking for books in English on Chile.

I had not seen Cuentos Chinos in Engrish. And the reason is that the book title in English is "Saving the Americas: The Dangerous Decline of Latin America and What The U.S. Must Do." It is not specific to Chile and may not suit the poster's interests, but good and timely in what it does discuss. Author Oppenheimer is an Argentine living in the US.

I had suggested the Idiota books earlier as guides to Latin America in general. For Chile specifically, for a general introduction for new or prospective immigrants, it is hard to find useful/reliable general readings in English. After all, there are only 27 people who care about Chile in English and they all belong to this forum, including the two who used to work for the CIA.

I did not suggest, and recommend against, the book Heading South, Looking North as an insight into Chile, in large part because the author, also born in Argentina, remains an unreformed Marxist and an outspoken fan of the late Che Guevara, as well as otherwise incapable of useful writing on Chile itself. However, there are interesting and potentially useful observations on the issues surrounding expats and bilingualism . Your mileage on this may differ.

In the US they are celebrating ("celebrating"? ) the 150th anniversary of the onset of the War of Northern Aggression, aka The American Civil War -- depending on who you talk to. (NB: that was a joke to get penquista all stirred up). And from what I read in their papers, "the Civil War hasn't ended." So maybe the widespread Chilean unwillingness to get over their 1973 civil war isn't too surprising. It certainly colours a great deal of what has been written in English since that year. Something to keep in mind when selecting your reading.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat