Who has read this...?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
regioncentralX

Re: Who has read this...?

Post by regioncentralX » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 am

chernandez wrote:
patagoniax wrote: (speaking of which, when they reworked the international departures area, why did they remove all but 4 of the publicly accessible 220 vac outlets? I want to include that in the cultural dimensions, or maybe in the Illustrated Suck Series that someone proposed)
It can go either in the "Chilean power company sucks" or the "Chilean airport sucks" section of the book.
I agree on the first one although we have less minor outages now than before the quake (previously 1 short one every couple of months). Took a big quake and resulting power outage for then to recheck and rewire where needed the local system.

The SCL airport does not suck if you've seen the horrors of other airports like MIA, JFK and even LAX! Lack of power outlets is endemic to most airports around the world not just SCL. And what is a man of wealth and taste doing spending time with the plebes when he should be in the AA Admirals Club, LAN MIstral, LAN Neruda or Pacific VIP lounge where there are ample outlets?
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 pm

regioncentralX wrote:
chernandez wrote:
patagoniax wrote: The SCL airport does not suck if you've seen the horrors of other airports like MIA, JFK and even LAX!
Not to mention GRU, EZE, PTY or BOG...

rican

Post by rican » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:32 pm

scandinavian wrote:
regioncentralX wrote:
chernandez wrote:
patagoniax wrote: The SCL airport does not suck if you've seen the horrors of other airports like MIA, JFK and even LAX!
Not to mention GRU, EZE, PTY or BOG...
ATL, DFW, etc. etc. etc.

rican

Post by rican » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 pm

I can't stand DFW as an airport, but I guess it has enough outlets to keep a man occupied for a few days. And for the record, I have been stuff at that airport for a couple of days to know this.

Are pickups looked down upon? If it was for the fact that we'll be living in a the city, I would be sporting a Hilux.

rican

Post by rican » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Nice!!! Fits right in with my "poser" image I have worked so hard to cultivate.

rican

Post by rican » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 pm

A very big part. You know how it goes, wear as much Ducati gear as you can fit on your body to go to Starbucks. Stand next to your bike as you sip your $4 latte.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:33 pm

patagoniax wrote:
chernandez wrote:I can't stand DFW as an airport, but I guess it has enough outlets to keep a man occupied for a few days. And for the record, I have been stuff at that airport for a couple of days to know this.

Are pickups looked down upon? If it was for the fact that we'll be living in a the city, I would be sporting a Hilux.
There are no good airports. Some are simply worse than others, and worse for different reasons. In some developing countries, the word "Hell" also means "airport" and "customer service."

Privately owned pickups in Chile:

A beater pickup means you are a lowly trades person.

A nice new 4x4 doble-cabina Hilux says you have a fundo where you go on the weekend, and in traffic you are to be reckoned with, in a sea of little plastic proletariat bumper-cars.

I think that Penquista traveled in a nice new doblecabina when they went to the farm in Coyhaique.
I have fond memories of being little and riding around in a Citroneta. Lived at the old escuela agricola and driving into school in Coyhaique. I hated the short rip as it gave me time to contemplate the glass of reconstituted milk awaiting me there. Hate milk. But a 4X4 that citroen was not.

passport

Post by passport » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:00 am

patagoniax wrote:
chernandez wrote:A very big part. You know how it goes, wear as much Ducati gear as you can fit on your body to go to Starbucks. Stand next to your bike as you sip your $4 latte.
We do posing here, too.

Note the classic scanned Kodachrome transparency showing the immaculate waxed-cotton Steve McQueen-lookalike ISDT Duck-suit with .380 Walther PPK in the left bottom pocket, the double-latte with extra foam, the Spanish Pielsa observed-trials boots, the fake Canadian flag calco and peel-and-stick pannier scratches, the spotless 1970s vintage ride with faux-leather hippo-hands, the crusty Chilean street-dog urine on the brake caliper along with the fresh Argentine sheep dags rattling beneath the front fender like cockpit fresheners.

Those were the days: posing in Tierra del Fuego in the 1970s.

Very disappointing. Where's the Bultaco?

rican

Post by rican » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:54 pm

patagoniax wrote:
chernandez wrote:A very big part. You know how it goes, wear as much Ducati gear as you can fit on your body to go to Starbucks. Stand next to your bike as you sip your $4 latte.
We do posing here, too.

Note the classic scanned Kodachrome transparency showing the immaculate waxed-cotton Steve McQueen-lookalike ISDT Duck-suit with .380 Walther PPK in the left bottom pocket, the double-latte with extra foam, the Spanish Pielsa observed-trials boots, the fake Canadian flag calco and peel-and-stick pannier scratches, the spotless 1970s vintage ride with faux-leather hippo-hands, the crusty Chilean street-dog urine on the brake caliper along with the fresh Argentine sheep dags rattling beneath the front fender like cockpit fresheners.

Those were the days: posing in Tierra del Fuego in the 1970s.

Dude, you're doing it all wrong. You have to be leaning on the bike and winking at the camera.

rican

Post by rican » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Yes you do!! You need a Starbucks and full leather gear. Plus you don't actually ride your bike anywhere. You trailer it.

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm

is that a bag of garlic tied on the luggage?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

pajaritoblanco

Post by pajaritoblanco » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

PenquistaDeCorazon wrote:Upon further reading of the Puiblisher's description on Amazon, there is nothing inherently deceitful on there. So as a one time special, only this week while supplies last, I have decided to not do a flame review. Or any review for that matter. But since the cat is out of the bag here on this forum, I would give the kindle edition half a star out of 5.
Hell, your review could have saved me £2.14. :x