Who has read this...?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
StevenDC

Re: Who has read this...?

Post by StevenDC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:30 pm

damn, I feel like spending 2.99 just to join in on some of this !
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:36 pm

StevenDC wrote:damn, I feel like spending 2.99 just to join in on some of this !
I would gladly give you the book if I could. It is taking up shelf space. :D
U.S. copyright law is based/grounded in the first-sale doctrine. First sale means that if I purchase a protected work, I own it outright and am allowed to dispose of it any way I wish. I can do pretty much anything with it but duplicate it. But the Kindle prevents me from giving my kindle book away or setting up a table in a church basement and having a used kindle book sale. That is why Publishers love the Kindle. Now I have a kindle book taking up space on my virtual bookshelf and cannot even use it to start a fire, as toilet paper in a pinch, doorstop.... :(

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm

PenquistaDeCorazon wrote: as toilet paper in a pinch, ...
Ouch! that would be a rough one and not recommended! :mrgreen:
It sounds to me like those books from the collection Dummies " Learn about Chile for dummies" The only dummies are the ones that buys the book ( not intended for you PDC, not at all... honest, Scouts honor!)
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Gloria wrote:
PenquistaDeCorazon wrote: as toilet paper in a pinch, ...
Ouch! that would be a rough one and not recommended! :mrgreen:
It sounds to me like those books from the collection Dummies " Learn about Chile for dummies" The only dummies are the ones that buys the book ( not intended for you PDC, not at all... honest, Scouts honor!)
JaJa.... I factored in a 98 percent probability of it being a dud going in. Now if I can prevent others from wasting their money, 2.99 will have been a small price to pay. I guess I will have to slum it today and get coffee at Tim Horton's rather than Starbuck's today.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm

el puelche wrote: Good job Mr. Drake and its a fine example of how differences should be worked out on this forum.

p
Yeah Puelche, right on! Like Mr Drake would come to this forum blasting his mouth. The man is trying to sell his books and of course his ethics have to be to par. The more diplomatic and politically correct he is...the more books he sells. His behavior has to be impeccable....just like mine! :mrgreen:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:26 pm

PenquistaDeCorazon wrote: Now if I can prevent others from wasting their money, 2.99 will have been a small price to pay.
I really wonder if Mr Drake has a " money back guarantee" policy :D Then EXIJO UNA EXPLICACIÓN ! :D

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:38 pm

chernandez wrote:You are guilty until proven innocent. And I'm still publishing my book based only on the information found on this forum. Some chapters will be:

"Chilean banking system sucks"
"Chilean food sucks"
"Chilean people suck"
"Chilean toilets suck"
"Chilean TV sucks"
"Chilean aphrodisiacs are actually pretty good"
BRILLIANT!! The beginning of a new book collection..."The suck series"! :alien:

culturaldimensions

Post by culturaldimensions » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:05 pm

I appreciate the criticism, if not its tone, especially the point regarding the use of the phrase "Native American", and will correct that passage right away. When you put your work in front of people, you have to be prepared for all kinds of responses, but since most of the people who have written to me after reading my "Cultural Dimensions" ebooks have felt that they were useful, I am not too downhearted over today's flaming, although I never like disappointing people. As I've said earlier on this forum, and as I say on my website, I don't hold myself out as an expert and I am always open to finding a co-author in country to help make any of my books better. Fortunately I've found several that I'm working with now in other countries - but my guess is that none of the commentators here today will want to take on that role for Chile. And PDC I am sorry that you've been deprived of your Starbucks today. Ciao.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:16 pm

culturaldimensions wrote:I appreciate the criticism, if not its tone, especially the point regarding the use of the phrase "Native American", and will correct that passage right away. When you put your work in front of people, you have to be prepared for all kinds of responses, but since most of the people who have written to me after reading my "Cultural Dimensions" ebooks have felt that they were useful, I am not too downhearted over today's flaming, although I never like disappointing people. As I've said earlier on this forum, and as I say on my website, I don't hold myself out as an expert and I am always open to finding a co-author in country to help make any of my books better. Fortunately I've found several that I'm working with now in other countries - but my guess is that none of the commentators here today will want to take on that role for Chile. And PDC I am sorry that you've been deprived of your Starbucks today. Ciao.
Hey sorry for the tone but I have to be honest with ya. If you are not an expert you should not be selling these books to unsuspecting people. I am not angry. It was 2.99. But if I had paid 9.99 plus shipping I might have been. I still think you are a nice guy based on what you have written here. I did say 'for shame'. However, I will not cast aspersions such as calling you a crook. You stole nothing from me. You did not advertise a be all and end all take on living in Chile. I got what I paid for so there are no hard feelings. It was a case of buyer beware. I just have to say that you put up an offer I couldn't refuse. Only rather than making you give me the book for free I gladly paid for it. In your offer you did mention that the recipient could do a review on Amazon.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Upon further reading of the Puiblisher's description on Amazon, there is nothing inherently deceitful on there. So as a one time special, only this week while supplies last, I have decided to not do a flame review. Or any review for that matter. But since the cat is out of the bag here on this forum, I would give the kindle edition half a star out of 5.
I can appreciate how hard it is to make a buck as an independant publisher. I actually used to buy many independent books back in the day. An old fav before the days of the internet was The Anarchist Cookbook. Talk about a cool book. The wealth of information (purely for curiosity purposes) was awesome. Used to buy a lot of books from Palladin Press as well.

culturaldimensions

Post by culturaldimensions » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Thank you PDC - Anarchists Cookbook and Paladin Press? I sure am glad I didn't really piss you off! Seriously, I do appreciate your considerate messages, along with the others posting their thoughts here. Characterize what I have written as you like, I am simply trying to move mutual understanding forward a bit, not just with regard to Chile and those from the US who are thinking of living there, but between people in all of the places that I have been privileged to live. You are free to disrespect my work; I am free to do my work. You can never please everybody. I'm not sure that there is anything more to be said. Vaya con dios.

rican

Post by rican » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 am

patagoniax wrote: (speaking of which, when they reworked the international departures area, why did they remove all but 4 of the publicly accessible 220 vac outlets? I want to include that in the cultural dimensions, or maybe in the Illustrated Suck Series that someone proposed)
It can go either in the "Chilean power company sucks" or the "Chilean airport sucks" section of the book.