Who has read this...?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
PenquistaDeCorazon

Re: Who has read this...?

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:41 pm

patagoniax wrote:I strongly suspect that the author of this has never visited Chile and knows nothing of what he writes. But we'd be interested in comments from anyone who has read this:

Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life In Chile by Bill Drake

Yes, I know that Drake used to be a dope farmer and has written a lot of books on subjects he doesn't appear to really know anything about. Tell us about this book.
It seems too me that in this age of the internet and kindles, it is far too easy for anyone to self publish. I happened to read some of your reviews of books on Patagonia, etc. on Amazon. Have you ever thought of writing a book on Patagonia? I think it would be far more informative than a lot of the crap out there.

regioncentralX

Post by regioncentralX » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Any idiot who cannot do some personal research on the matter and needs to or is persuaded by marketing to spend money on books like the above referenced and by the Cobin-SovereignMan-EscapeArtist-SovreignSociety-InternationalLiving-JohnSteel types deserve what they get in the end . . errr . . . IMO :lol:
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Please p~x... and allchileans
Mr. Bill has lived in many, many, many places... :!:
including Chile...
how can you seriously doubt his vast experience... :|
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life In Chile by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 5 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Egypt by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 8 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Turkey by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 17 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Singapore by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 22 Sep 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Malaysia by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 10 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Portugal by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 13 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Guatemala by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 10 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Japan by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 9 Oct 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Nigeria by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 24 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Thailand by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 16 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in South Korea by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 31 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in The Netherlands by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 11 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Germany by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 3 Aug 2009)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Spain by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 16 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in The UK by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 18 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in the Czech Republic by Bill Drake (Kindle - 6 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Nicaragua by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 13 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life In Australia by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 20 Nov 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Greece by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 8 Aug 2008)
Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Senegal by Bill Drake (Kindle Edition - 13 Aug 2008)
one especially for you p~x...
order now - if you ever decide to quit your day-job... :?:
Has Anyone Ever Told You That You Could Be A Stand-Up Comedian? by Bill Drake
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

rican

Post by rican » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 am

I will be writing a book of my vast experience in Chile. It will be published about a week after I arrive. Look for it in all bookstores where complete idiots shop in.

culturaldimensions

Post by culturaldimensions » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

Hello Folks - your interesting discussion of my ebook "Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life in Chile" popped up on my google radar this morning. If you'll visit my website www.culturaldimensions.net you'll see that I make no claims to be an expert - in fact I am always looking for competent co-authors currently living in the countries I write about. But yes, I did live and work in Chile in the mid-70s, and remember my experiences there with great pleasure. I take no offense at those who disparage my work without having read it but please, if you can't afford $2.99 to buy the book and inform yourself, and then if you still think it is a bad book you can write a scathing review on amazon.com to protect others from being ripped off, I will be happy to send you a complimentary review copy. And if you don't like it you can still post that scathing review. There is a huge difference between being a cynic and being a skeptic - but it is hard to see how anyone could be a cynic in the midst of Patagonia's stunning beauty.

And BTW, I agree with you about Escape Artist - they grabbed a first draft manuscript of the Chile book and published it for an outrageous price, and have never responded to my pleas to let me send them the final edition that is, IMO, a much better book. Please stay far away from Escape Artist - they are dishonest people, to say the least.

And many thanks for the post supporting at least the possibility that I might know what I was talking about.

rican

Post by rican » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

You are guilty until proven innocent. And I'm still publishing my book based only on the information found on this forum. Some chapters will be:

"Chilean banking system sucks"
"Chilean food sucks"
"Chilean people suck"
"Chilean toilets suck"
"Chilean TV sucks"
"Chilean aphrodisiacs are actually pretty good"

culturaldimensions

Post by culturaldimensions » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Patagoniax - thanks for asking. I wasn't a dope farmer in any of those countries; in fact the last dope I grew was in Oregon in 1968. After I wrote the Cultivators Handbook of Marijuana I knew that part of my life was over. Through the 70's and 80's I traveled a lot, sometimes doing volunteer work, sometimes privately tutoring English ( which is what I did in Chile in 1974), sometimes working as a journalist. I also wrote a few more dope books, and started a company called the Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company. Then in the 90s I developed a small business working as a consultant/trainer for US and foreign companies trying to integrate multinational teams. In fact I trained all the Chileans that JC Penney hired to run their stores in Chile - my job was to help them understand the US way of doing business and then how to integrate that with the Chilean ways of doing the same thing. Quite a challenge for all concerned. And of course Penney's plans didn't exactly work out. It was always kind of fun seeing my corporate friends trying to reconcile my hippy dope book days with my suit & tie cross-cultural consultant presence, and I was always straight with the companies that hired me so that nobody could ever get blindsided by some high level manager saying - do you know who this guy Drake is? In the 2000s my wife and I cared for several elderly relatives in our home, which is a full-time job. But that gave me the space to take everything I had learned about myself as a North American trying to live and work harmoniously and effectively in other countries and to write my "Cultural Dimensions of Expatriate Life" series. As I said in my earlier post, I don't present myself as an expert, as you would see if you read any of my books. I simply love the differences that exist among people, and trying to understand and appreciate the origins of those differences has always given me pleasure. My hope is that my books convey some of what I've learned in ways that are useful to others. I respect your skepticism, and hope that I've explained myself to your satisfaction. Now please read my book and write whatever kind of review you think it merits.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Normally I would ascribe to the policy of you get what you pay for. If one goes to Amazon and sees a book selling for 2.99 then unless you live under a rock you have to know that it is self published. There are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of these ebooks on Amazon. So in that sense I would not refer to CD as any type of scam artist. One can pay 40 dollars for a book and end up hating it.

What I do find problematic though is the fact that you have written so many books on travel and one has to wonder if you should not include a disclaimer stating that you have not been in Chile in 37 years. The danger to someone who buys your book is not in them losing 2.99. The danger lies in them maybe showing up in Chile for a 2 week vacation with 300 dollars in their pocket, lost in a remote area looking for a ferry crossing that is not there, budgeting for hotel stays and meals erroneously, etc.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:26 pm

I have to agree with that sentiment. So much so that I will take Mr. Drake up on his offer. Sounds like a nice guy. I have the Kindle for PC app so 2.99 won't kill me. I will be happy to post a review pro or con as well. And no, I do not consider myself an idiot for buying this book as I will not be relying on the info within to plan a trip.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Bought it 5 minutes ago. I do not feel like an idiot. For 2.99 I get the pleasure of writing a scathing review of your book and warning all other potential buyers away from your product. I am two pages in and I can say that your book is pure garbage. Not worth 2,99 and certainly not the 9.99 for the non kindle edition.

Mr. Drake you ought to be ashamed. Your book is full of fluff and I am convinced that more than a few chapters are shared between all your titles. I will do a more thorough critique in a few days.

I will quote from the book for the purposes of review. But of course it being a kindle book it will not allow me to copy and save on typing. Hell I wish I could give it away to you PX so you could critique it. One of reasons I have not bought a kindle is inability to give away a book to someone like with a real book. Or lend it for that matter.

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:12 pm

"The purpose of this guide is to present some key cross-cultural observations of Chile based on a North American perspective."
Why not tell potential buyers up front that your book is aimed squarely at US expats? Many of the links within the book apply to US expats only.

This book contains some very basic info, nothing that you cannot get freely on the net. It is very very very basic stuff. Stick with this forum people.

"If you want to go beyond the information in this guide my choice for the most comprehensive web site for exploring Chile is the University of Texas site http://lanic.utexas.edu/la/chile/"
Should have read, "If you want to write a book about Chile from the comfort of your sofa...."

PenquistaDeCorazon

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Those are 15 minutes of my life I can never get back. For that I am an idiot.

A book that cites and hyperlinks tons of other books for more detailed info on the topic at hand is probably not the book you should have bought in the first place.

Hi my name is PenquistaDeCorazon. I was born in Concepcion. To learn more about Concepcion I recommend http://www.concepcion.cl/ . blah blah blah...... You get the drift I'm sure.

Here is a little gem:
"Although Chileans come in all shades of color, race is not a particularly important aspect of social status. More important to one's place in society is the cultural aspect of your appearance. Chileans generally consider someone a native American only if, in addition to looking like an Indian, that person also has an Indian name, dresses like an Indian, lives in a Native American community, and speaks an Indian language as their first language."

Yeah ok..... First off, were I writing in English for a US audience I would use the term indigenous peoples. When one uses the term native american in English one is usually talking about US first nations. A Mapuche does not have to live near Temuco to be considered an 'Indian'. It does help to have a cool ethnic Mapuche name for street cred though. And trust me, put a very dark skinned Mapuche in an Italian suit, and he will still be working at the back of the panaderia. But yes, your social status/income level can transcend your ethnicity for most others.