The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:19 am

Oh, I would guess that place, length of time, attitude and expectation all figure into your impressions of anywhere you visit. As far as PX's assertion that people in the south are "not very bright"s, HEY! I represent that fact!

In my short 11 years of wanderings, I have found that the highest concentration of nice folks are the people in the countryside. The ones who live close to the earth, work hard and have little. Not that wealthy, priviledged people don't regularly invite travelers to dine with them, offer rides and accomodations...cause that happens all the time too.

(Sorry, couldn't find spell-check feature)

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 am

I think this generalization of Southern friendliness is somehow a myth. Chileans tend to have a rather romantic view of Southern Chile. As someone stated before, I found the "friendliness level" to be related to the fact if you´re in the countryside or bigger towns. Some of the friendliest people I have met in Chile were in rural areas like Curicó or Chiloé, but if you for example compare people in Santiago and people in the more Southern Concepción, I find Santiaguinos to be much more open and welcoming...

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Curicó isn't south. It isn't "south" until you get on the Antarctic side of Lago General Carrera.
I know and if you had read my post more carefully you would have noticed that precisely I didn´t put it as an example for southern friendliness but for rural friendliness in Chile:) I have met nice people all over Chile, but in Curicó they stroke me extremely friendly, maybe the friendliest people I have met anywhere here. This summer I will go to Patagonia, let´s see if they´ll receive me with overwhelming niceness:) As far as to the middle class, seems like a weird theory to me.

General_Ohiggins

Post by General_Ohiggins » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:08 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:I think the most annoying Chileans are the middle-class Chileans for sure!! The poorer, country folk are nice and humble and hospitable in general. They will give you their bed and sleep on a cold hard floor. They will expect you to show up and stay not only for dinner but sleep there and eat breakfast and lunch the next day, even better if you make a weekend out of it. The true upper glass people have grace and class and try to make everyone around them feel comfortable and smile friendly to people. The middle class however (and that includes all 3 levels of middle class) strive to be upper class and have an arrogant attitude towards others. They try to belittle everyone in hopes someone will believe they are superior in some way. They will not offer to help you they brag about money or cars or their house etc. It is like they believe acting snobby or arrogant somehow equates to being upper-class. I could go on and on with logical reasons why they would believe that, but I won't.

Most Chileans are middle-class so therefore most interactions expats have with Chileans would be full of these annoying qualities...
I am a midde class Chilean and I dont consider myself a rude, arrogant, or anything like that, I would say that "new richs" are!!! I think it's because when this kind of people have lived almost the whole life in a complex economical situation and suddenly their finde themselves with a better financial situation they think they own the world!!! that happens mainly because of lack of education. Usually Chileans who travel to some touristic places are not very welcomed, because most of them come from that "new rich class" who thinks that because they can go for 1 week to Cancun they can treat people as piece of crap.

About what patagonix poste supposedly made by a Chilean and being a Chilean myself, I have to agree in a lots of things and disagree in some others.In the case of education, I wouldn't say it is bad as that fellow chilean said, I have a Business Admin diploma from DuocUC here and I took International Business in Canada and I didn't experience a lots of difference between programs and topics.
Chileans are lazy people, I would say that is out of discussion here hahahahahaa, I worked in Canada and people really work there!!!! I mean they dont spend 15 minutes chats with their workmates talking about the soup opera or the hockey game, they understand that you have been paid for working not for doing social life, Im not saying that you have to behave as a robot but c'mon anyone who has work with Chileans knows what Im talking about.
I have a big problem now though, and it's that Im felling that I can't fit in the Chilean way of doing things and in the Chilean society in general, in just 3 years living in a 1st world country I figured out that after 1000000000000000000000000000 years maybe, but just maybe we will be a developed nation, and realizing that ugly truth is really sad when you love your country.

Feeling depressed already just to reading this haahahahaha anyway, have a good one!

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Chileans are lazy people, I would say that is out of discussion here hahahahahaa, I worked in Canada and people really work there!!!! I mean they dont spend 15 minutes chats with their workmates talking about the soup opera or the hockey game, they understand that you have been paid for working not for doing social life, Im not saying that you have to behave as a robot but c'mon anyone who has work with Chileans knows what Im talking about.
I have the theory that this is only due to extremely long working hours here. In comparison to Germany where I come from people have larger working shifts, but it´s logical that you can only focus and concentrate for a certain time span, so people here tend to start their working day with a large breakfast, taken many coffee breaks and so on...

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:08 pm

so people here tend to start their working day with a large breakfast, taken many coffee breaks and so on...
Where are they going for their large breakfast?

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:16 pm

nowhere, in the few office jobs I worked here, people just ate at the very same office...

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:19 pm

General_Ohiggins wrote:I am a midde class Chilean and I dont consider myself a rude, arrogant, or anything like that, ...
1. One data point does make a pattern or trend

2. You assume you are a nice person, so don't take it personally, but I guess that most nasty people would also not describe themselves as rude or arrogant.
1531 pacta sunt servanda

General_Ohiggins

Post by General_Ohiggins » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Fugger wrote:
General_Ohiggins wrote:I am a midde class Chilean and I dont consider myself a rude, arrogant, or anything like that, ...
1. One data point does make a pattern or trend

2. You assume you are a nice person, so don't take it personally, but I guess that most nasty people would also not describe themselves as rude or arrogant.
I guess u are right! it's arrogant talking about myself hahahahahaa. I can be rude too, as I think most of the people can, right? it's a matter of attitude (Also education, the way your parentes raised you, life experience, etc)

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Chileans? Large breakfast ? We must be thinking of another Chile. Chileans in general tend to be very light breakfast eaters.
Actually with large I meant long... I sometimes struggle with my English. So, if they´re so pathetically unproductive, it´s kind of surprising that they have such a powerful economy in comparison with other Latin American countries. And yes, I do think they have long working hours, especially considering the miserable payment most people will receive at their jobs. For 300.000 or 400.000 pesos a month, you cannot expect an overwhelming motivation and productivity in my opinion.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am

The Chilean economy is largely based not on worker productivity but upon easily exploitable natural resources.
Bingo! Add to that factor that the people who run the country are not very keen on the government spending more than it makes (what a concept!), plus a few free-market reforms (by no means comprehensive) imposed by force, and Chile's relative (to the rest of Latin America) economic success is explained.

John Hyre

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 pm

La_Tini wrote:So, if they´re so pathetically unproductive, it´s kind of surprising that they have such a powerful economy in comparison with other Latin American countries.
1. Natural resources
2. Macroeconomic and fiscal policies mostly reasonable
La_Tini wrote:And yes, I do think they have long working hours, especially considering the miserable payment most people will receive at their jobs. For 300.000 or 400.000 pesos a month, you cannot expect an overwhelming motivation and productivity in my opinion.
You have adapted well to Chile, have you. :wink:

My brother-in-law hat a database (content) business in Chile. Ultimately, he moved the data entry positions to the US and Germany. Despite somewhat higher salaries the productivity (on a quality adjusted basis) was so much better.
1531 pacta sunt servanda