The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
rachelmarama

Re: The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Post by rachelmarama » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Another experience:
I've been here two years now (Antofagasta) and i've never had any issues with criticism of my Spanish. Today I had my mesero ask me how long I had been here, and then tell me I spoke more like a local than a gringa.
Initially I was shy when I didn't understand things and wouldn't speak up. Now I tell people right away that i'm a gringa and I don't understand everything so apologies if I ask dumb questions. I actually seem to get smiles and extra help that way.
I tell people I find Chilean spanish hard to understand sometimes and people agree with me, laughing. Many have seemed proud that they've developed a accent/language that others find hard to understand.

Of course I am from New Zealand and there are lots of English speaking countries who find our accent hard to understand. And the times i've spent in Ireland have been highly entertaining for my lack of ability to understand the locals. Love the accent, just can't understand half of it.

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Tombi wrote:
and you know Px never, ever mentions the good things).
...and it's going straight to the imaginary Allchile pool room! I'm so excited! :D
Tombi, I just want to reassure you that your joke wasn't wasted! :lol:

PS - I watched it again on the weekend ROFL!!!

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:58 pm

ryanar wrote:
Tombi wrote:
...and it's going straight to the imaginary Allchile pool room! I'm so excited! :D

It made me giggle, too :lol:

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:53 pm

trabajo en progreso wrote:
ryanar wrote:
Tombi wrote:

It made me giggle, too :lol:
but can't you just imagine Px down there in Patagonia - How's the serenity? So much serenity.

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:
patagoniax wrote: How unusual. In all the time I have been here, I recall only one person openly criticising my Spanish
that is lucky of you. people ALWAYS criticize my Spanish and for even the most minor of mistakes. I find it very rude and only tolerate it because I have learned that that is just the Chilean culture. I hate it when they correct me and then try to make me repeat the correct pronunciation after them really slow like I am a 3 year old.
I agree with admin's assessment. It's a confidence thing. Generally people don't criticise my spanish, some even comment that it is good for the length of time I have been here. One friend corrects me, but in a helpful, kind way.

But, since I started teaching english at my kids' school and am teaching some of my friends' kids, my friends (who were previously fine with my spanish) are suddenly quick to criticise it. I guess it is just that they see me differently now, somehow I am more intimidating, and I need to be taken down a peg or two.

The people who don't criticise are the ones who know it doesn't really matter - either a bit world wise or as admin said, from el campo, where they realise it is not how you speak that matters but what you do and what you stand for. I suspect that in Px's patagonia most of the people he encounters are from either of those two categories, as most people in smaller parts of chile are. Not so dog-eat-dog.

rican

Post by rican » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 pm

I've been lucky so far. I always start conversations by saying that I need to translate from Puerto Rican spanish to Chilean spanish. That gets a laugh and turns into a "replace the r with l" exercise. The Chileans are very amused by that. I also found the one Chilean that used to live in the US and is desperate to speak english. Unless we are among people that don't speak english, he refuses to speak spanish with me.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 am

Why though? Isolation? European influence? Were they more open pre-Pinochet? At least we know the country-folk are more trusting (from the get go). I need to figure out the Santiaguinos because I will be here for years to come. The expats are warmer due to shared circumstances and yes, because the locals have not let them in. Is there a way in?
We agree to disagree.

angpc

Post by angpc » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:27 pm

I agree that Chileans are stand-offish - I have always attributed that to several decades ago, under Pinochet, you were just not free to strike up a conversation, nor reveal your thoughts on politics and related matters. Society was very divided at that time, there were curfews and people just shut up - that has been passed along since.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I guess I should look to the next generation who has spent the year protesting as the one that will wave, smile, greet etc. since they were not afraid to express themselves for the cameras.
We agree to disagree.

Stoph

Post by Stoph » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm

The original post was correct, Chileans are stand-offish and will skin you alive. All the gas you're blowing at him is just your own insecurities that he just may be correct and might have made a better decision than yourselves -- yes, in just 2 weeks. Or isn't my 2 1/2 yrs in Chile enough time to draw a conclusion that differs from yours? It annoys me how some people on this forum feel threatened by any comment that doesn't exalt Chile or their own decisions to be here. Quit attacking - the original post was thoughtful and kind and - in my opinion - based on reality.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I wholeheartedly disagree Stoff. At first I thought my opinion that Chileans were warm, though a bit standoffish at first, was based upon my experiences in Patagonia. But in retrospect, I recall my experiences in Santiago, Temuco, Puerto Montt and Valdivia, and I can say that people all over Chile are warm and inviting.

People in Chile do not tend to run up and offer assistance to hapless travelers unless asked by the hap. They do not tend to interject themselves as Costa Ricans and Panamanians often do, but they are truly warm and helpful.

You are just as likely, or more so, to be shunned, ignored or robbed in Tampa, Florida, or Newark, New Jersey. NO, that is incorrect...you are MORE LIKELY to be all those things in the US.

I came in contact with con-artists in Santiago on my first visit. But I also on that visit and others, came to know warm, helpful folks who - for no money or recipricity - gave me help, tips, and rides. Call me a simpleton, but unfriendly, snobbish and snide folks exist all over the world.

Here's an example of how it exists everywhere...my darlin guy just came back from "the states". While there he was injured and had a bad head gash. He stumbled into a service station to asked to use a phone. He was refused. There was a pay phone two blocks away he could use....he was told. No one asked if he was alright, if he needed help, or what happened. Not a single person asked if they could help.

Rotten attitudes and selfish people exist everywhere in the world. Ex-pats in Chile, at least the ones I meet are wonderful. But so are the Chileans.

rachelmarama

Post by rachelmarama » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:16 pm

I wonder if this is another one of those topics that does depend on where in Chile you are. Stoph, if I recall correctly, is in Antofagasta. So am I. I am continually told by Chileans from the south how cold, distant, rude and dishonest the people in the North are, but here I've found some really lovely, helpful chileans, and some really nasty, cold and standoffish ones. And the ones who seem to make it their mission to run me or anyone else over when we (pedestrians) HAVE A GREEN LIGHT TO CROSS THE ROAD.
i'm really looking forward to going south at some stage because people (Chileans) tell me the people are so much nicer down there, not to mention the scenery.