The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Post by admin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:06 pm

8_0
Holy dead threads Batman!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bjdrogo

Post by bjdrogo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 pm

I take it this subject has been brought up before. As for my correct meaning, I was not thinking of flojera, but more along the lines of persona acomodadiza or desparpajo. I was not trying to be derogatory but complimentary. I am still looking for suggestion as to what I can bring down to Chile to show my appreciation. Please to not read into this more than what is there.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:18 pm

I found a sort of a social bell curve of language tolerance in Chile. The really rich well educated and traveled Chileans, even if they will not speak English to you, will tolerate your mistakes. The middle class / new rich, urbanized but not well educated or traveled, will openly look for any reason what so ever to ridicule your Spanish or will even simply just shut-down. You can see the glaze cross over their eyes as it was too much for them to process.

On the other extreme, and my favorite people to have a conversation with in Chile, are the guys in the campo (particularly the more remote parts of the Patagonia). They will do the, 'gringo, i have no frigen clue what you are saying, but come on over and we will have an asado while we figure it out'. I have had some old guys in the campo, that likely only met a dozen foreigners in their life, just go on and on and on like I understood every single word they said and I could do the same back. Simply did not matter to them. They were in no hurry. It was just nice to talk to someone.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MercyMe

Post by MercyMe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Most Chileans whom speak to me in English are the people who have lived and worked outiside of Latin America. These people are anxious to practice their English. What I like are the people whom ask if you are speaking Spanish after having conversed for the last 20 minutes in Spanish, my response "¿No estamos conversando en Ingles?" to date no one has seen the humour in that particular response. Oh well we cannot all be comedians. :lol:

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 pm

and you know Px never, ever mentions the good things).
I will be printing your "good thing" comment (I'm thinking of using organic cow dung paper, what do you think?), framing it and it's going straight to the imaginary Allchile pool room! I'm so excited! :D

rachelmarama

Post by rachelmarama » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Another experience:
I've been here two years now (Antofagasta) and i've never had any issues with criticism of my Spanish. Today I had my mesero ask me how long I had been here, and then tell me I spoke more like a local than a gringa.
Initially I was shy when I didn't understand things and wouldn't speak up. Now I tell people right away that i'm a gringa and I don't understand everything so apologies if I ask dumb questions. I actually seem to get smiles and extra help that way.
I tell people I find Chilean spanish hard to understand sometimes and people agree with me, laughing. Many have seemed proud that they've developed a accent/language that others find hard to understand.

Of course I am from New Zealand and there are lots of English speaking countries who find our accent hard to understand. And the times i've spent in Ireland have been highly entertaining for my lack of ability to understand the locals. Love the accent, just can't understand half of it.

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Tombi wrote:
...and it's going straight to the imaginary Allchile pool room! I'm so excited! :D
Tombi, I just want to reassure you that your joke wasn't wasted! :lol:

PS - I watched it again on the weekend ROFL!!!

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:58 pm

ryanar wrote:
Tombi wrote:
...and it's going straight to the imaginary Allchile pool room! I'm so excited! :D

It made me giggle, too :lol:

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:53 pm

trabajo en progreso wrote:
ryanar wrote:
Tombi wrote:

It made me giggle, too :lol:
but can't you just imagine Px down there in Patagonia - How's the serenity? So much serenity.

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:
patagoniax wrote: How unusual. In all the time I have been here, I recall only one person openly criticising my Spanish
that is lucky of you. people ALWAYS criticize my Spanish and for even the most minor of mistakes. I find it very rude and only tolerate it because I have learned that that is just the Chilean culture. I hate it when they correct me and then try to make me repeat the correct pronunciation after them really slow like I am a 3 year old.
I agree with admin's assessment. It's a confidence thing. Generally people don't criticise my spanish, some even comment that it is good for the length of time I have been here. One friend corrects me, but in a helpful, kind way.

But, since I started teaching english at my kids' school and am teaching some of my friends' kids, my friends (who were previously fine with my spanish) are suddenly quick to criticise it. I guess it is just that they see me differently now, somehow I am more intimidating, and I need to be taken down a peg or two.

The people who don't criticise are the ones who know it doesn't really matter - either a bit world wise or as admin said, from el campo, where they realise it is not how you speak that matters but what you do and what you stand for. I suspect that in Px's patagonia most of the people he encounters are from either of those two categories, as most people in smaller parts of chile are. Not so dog-eat-dog.

rican

Post by rican » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 pm

I've been lucky so far. I always start conversations by saying that I need to translate from Puerto Rican spanish to Chilean spanish. That gets a laugh and turns into a "replace the r with l" exercise. The Chileans are very amused by that. I also found the one Chilean that used to live in the US and is desperate to speak english. Unless we are among people that don't speak english, he refuses to speak spanish with me.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 am

Why though? Isolation? European influence? Were they more open pre-Pinochet? At least we know the country-folk are more trusting (from the get go). I need to figure out the Santiaguinos because I will be here for years to come. The expats are warmer due to shared circumstances and yes, because the locals have not let them in. Is there a way in?
We agree to disagree.