The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
momof3

Re: The warmest people in Chile are Expats

Post by momof3 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Finally left Santiago for a whole day to go to Valparaiso. What a difference a day makes. Me thinks a lot of the anti-social business I have experienced has been a Santiago thing. I am keeping a count of how long it is taking me (4 months and 1 day so far ) to befriend a Chilean. I am trying and I will not give up, I just need to break the code.
We agree to disagree.

Afterburner

Post by Afterburner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 pm

patagoniax wrote:The attitude of "I don't get paid enough to give a shit" and similar absolution for indolence is certainly part of the national character at many levels.
+ 1 never saw the upside of concentration camps before but certainly they prevented indolence.
part of the national character
Ah, those famous generalisations so supposedly abhorred yet so persistently aimed in the direction of your hosts

"National character" the old reliable substratum which provides a seemingly innocuous foundation for, and offer serves as a precursor to, the construction of racist ideology.

Especially when all the examples of that national character are negative.

And ironic given the disingenuous accusations of racism made against another poster earlier who merely served to stick up for his country.

Afterburner

Post by Afterburner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm

patagoniax wrote:
bjdrogo wrote:I have been communicating with a couple of Chileans by email. I do not know if they are expats or not but they have been very helpful. Looking forward to meeting them when I get down there. I have noticed and read that Latin America is more laid back than North America. It sometimes took three weeks to get an answer back to one of my emails.
Have you been communicating in the language of the realm? Then you will know that the local meaning of "laid back" is flojera.
Maybe you missed your vocation as a Bavarian productivity inspector?

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 am

Afterburner wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
bjdrogo wrote:I have been communicating with a couple of Chileans by email. I do not know if they are expats or not but they have been very helpful. Looking forward to meeting them when I get down there. I have noticed and read that Latin America is more laid back than North America. It sometimes took three weeks to get an answer back to one of my emails.
Have you been communicating in the language of the realm? Then you will know that the local meaning of "laid back" is flojera.
Px, could a re-location to Munich be in your near future ... perhaps, at one of the Siemen's plants? :twisted: Plus, you can always visit the nearby Alps to help prevent you from getting too homesick. :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm

patagoniax wrote:
john wrote:
Afterburner wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
Px, could a re-location to Munich be in your near future ... perhaps, at one of the Siemen's plants? :twisted: Plus, you can always visit the nearby Alps to help prevent you from getting too homesick. :)

I did work in Germany for a time, as a much younger person. Worked for a Sprengmeister group. And I still have all my fingers. One does not practice flojera for long whilst doing Sprengmeister work, and that perhaps explains why there are so few surviving chilenos and irlandeses in the business. There is no RSP for foolishness.

In the mid 90's I worked in Germany (Munich) for 6 months managing a joint project between Siemens and the company I worked for. I really liked living in Munich and had the opportunity to explore most of Bavaria while there. BTW, did you ever see the terrific late 70's British TV series Danger UXB?
--- Bertrand Russell

Afterburner

Post by Afterburner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Munich is a great and beautiful city with a very low crime late. Top-ranked amongst Germans themselves.

But I assure you even there you have cranks who give out about the country all the time, especially certain kinds of ex-pats, usually those afflicted with undiagnosed obsessive-compulsive type disorders or latent prejudices.

john

Post by john » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:01 pm

patagoniax wrote:
Afterburner wrote:Munich is a great and beautiful city with a very low crime late.
Certainry aglee: vely row clime late.
You've been outed!!! :lol:
--- Bertrand Russell

Afterburner

Post by Afterburner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:52 pm

john wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
Afterburner wrote:Munich is a great and beautiful city with a very low crime late.
john wrote:
patagoniax wrote:
Ah, Munich in the winter... the Christmas markets, Tollwood, ice-skating in the city, ex-pats and Germans giving about the red tape and bureaucracy, and the emerging "police state."

tombrad2

Post by tombrad2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 am

"Q: What is the best way to meet people here?
A: Ask for help. Many chileans are shy and afraid to play the fool, many fear to seem ridiculous speaking bad English, so the best way is that you take the initiative. Once you break the ice usually you will find warm and friendly people.

Q: The best way to become popular?
A: Is easy, just appeal to their national pride, just tell a Chilean how much you like a chilean meal, a chilean city, etc. and you will have it eating out of your hand. Use this little trick and you will treated like a prince, everywhere you go."

(from my F.A.Q. social interaction in Chile)

Of course the opossite works in opposite way: don´t ask for help and you can die waiting for someone offer it, "insult" the national pride telling your doubts on that Chile is the most wonderful place in the universe and you will turn into a social paria.

Chilean society has pros and cons as every other, if you don´t like it, just leave, it is not the right place for you, in a foreign country you always has to adapt and sacrifice some good old customs, the decision to stay is always a trade-off

On productivity of workers, I´m pretty sure that depend much more from current law mainframe than people, people is naturally lazy unless they are morons and if laws incentive the laziness (as has did in the past 21 years) productivity will fall, in Chile, Germany or everywhere, it is not up the people but laws
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 am

tombrad2 wrote:Q: The best way to become popular?
A: Is easy, just appeal to their national pride, just tell a Chilean how much you like a chilean meal, a chilean city, etc. and you will have it eating out of your hand. Use this little trick and you will treated like a prince, everywhere you go."
Of course the opossite works in opposite way: don´t ask for help and you can die waiting for someone offer it, "insult" the national pride telling your doubts on that Chile is the most wonderful place in the universe and you will turn into a social paria.
Completely agree. Sometimes it is really astonishing how well this "pressing a button" approach works. Even it situations where it is totally obvious for everybody involved that the Chile flattering is factually wrong.
tombrad2 wrote:On productivity of workers, I´m pretty sure that depend much more from current law mainframe than people, people is naturally lazy unless they are morons and if laws incentive the laziness (as has did in the past 21 years) productivity will fall, in Chile, Germany or everywhere, it is not up the people but laws
Completely disagree. As Px pointed out, work processes take much longer here than in other places. I have previously shared the case which I experienced closely, where it was more efficient to transfer two dozen analyst positions from Chile to the US (Iowa) and Germany (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania), despite salaries being somewhat higher. While in same cases low productivity may emanate from rules and regulations stipulated by the law, mostly either these rules are made up on the go, or workers / managers simply do not care.
1531 pacta sunt servanda

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 am

It is simple. If you are in Santiago talking to people from Santiago, you insult the rest of the country (i.e. exploit the 'campo rotos with plumas' attitude holding back the the country). If you are outside Santiago talking to people from outside Santiago, then you insult Santiago (i.e. pretty much anything bad about Santiago works). If you get that backwards or the person is from Santiago but outside Santiago at the time of the insult, they will just think you are an ass. If you get it right, they will invite you over dinner, sell you a nice piece of property, whatever. Generally works better outside Santiago, because whatever they have against foreigners it will never be as bad as what they have against Santiago.

Never underestimate what playing to people's prejudices will get you. This is just a classic city vs country / capital vs. rest of the country prejudice.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:48 am

admin wrote:It is simple. If you are in Santiago talking to people from Santiago, you insult the rest of the country (i.e. exploit the 'campo rotos with plumas' attitude holding back the the country). If you are outside Santiago talking to people from outside Santiago, then you insult Santiago (i.e. pretty much anything bad about Santiago works). If you get that backwards or the person is from Santiago but outside Santiago at the time of the insult, they will just think you are an ass. If you get it right, they will invite you over dinner, sell you a nice piece of property, whatever. Generally works better outside Santiago, because whatever they have against foreigners it will never be as bad as what they have against Santiago.

Never underestimate what playing to people's prejudices will get you. This is just a classic city vs country / capital vs. rest of the country prejudice.
That's one way of playing it. The other is more to the tune of "Chile has the best wine in the world", "Chile has such a beautiful flag" etc. Also when a Chilean says something negative about Chile, generally you are not supposed to reconfirm this too strongly, but maybe just remain silent.

Obviously playing the stereotypes should be limited to colleagues and acquaintances.
1531 pacta sunt servanda