What is right with this country?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Ripsigg

Re: What is right with this country?

Post by Ripsigg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:06 pm

I think my question has been answered. Mr Black is someone who tries to be anonymous and is into scamming people into buying worthless vineyards??? Seriously though, I can't imagine the man is connected with any kind of research service. I read his blog and i felt more stupid just reading it. Much of it is contradictory and most of the posts seemed to be written up on the fly. $2500 consultation fee? Come on, I think I might be in the wrong line of work because if that man can charge that much and actually have people interested in what he says, then I should do the same.

Hmm, how do these steps sound for becoming an expert?

1) Make a website for the "Prestigious" International Foundation for Responsible Ecomonics and list Rip Sigg as receiving an award from them.

2) Pen a 200 page book and put it out on CreateSpace so I look like a real author.

3) Start a blog about my vast knowledge

4) Write an Ebook to sell my newest ideas

5) Charge consulting fees in the thousands

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks.

I can take him or leave him. Mostly leave. He's not on my "A" list of people whose opinions I value. He pretty much has a brand he sells, "Doug Casey", and that brand does have a big following. I was not aware of his previous stance re: PM manipulation. I guess to retain credibility he pretty much has to admit that now, it's so obvious. Yeah, some of the things he says........ ;-) chuckle worthy. As for his Galt's Gulch I was aware of that. I hope they have enough firepower to keep the roving gangs away the next Argentine currency panic. Seems like it would be a high priority target, (rich gringo's). At this point in my admittedly scant knowledge of Argentina I think Fernando Aguirre http://ferfal.blogspot.com/ would be my go-to-guy, not the Doug Casey crowd. Casey should thank God everyday for capitaIism and investors with too much money and not enough due diligence :mrgreen:
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:01 am

Expat literature and writing (including the Internet) has essentially always broken down in to two types. In one category I would put the classic like "how to live in Mexico on a $1 a day" and similar "Expat help living in country x" type guide books and web sites. Stuff that helps people on a practical level, make living in Chile easier. That is hopefully the place we want allchile.net, allsouthernchile.com, and our other sites to fall in to. Dan and crew over at I Love Chile ( http://www.ilovechile.com ) are fully on board with that goal, the guys over at http://www.internations.org also seem to be keeping up with that.

Then you have the rather creepy and shady 'the world is going to end so buy my book, sign up for my news letter, pay for my super secret consulting services or you and your family will die a horrible miserable death'. It is the same spin that religions and dictators have used for thousands of years to manipulate people: fear.

They want you to join a cult. It might not be a religious cult (although the strong religious tones are in a lot of those sites), but it is a economic cult, a Gold cult, a political cult, "asset protection" cult, and likely a bunch of other things.

Do I think society is going to come apart at the seems? yea. Because it has been coming apart at the seems for thousands of years. Any 8th grade high-school history teacher can tell you that. That is literally the worst kept secret in history.

As for the "secrets to living" in Chile. There are none. Yea, there is a very very steep learning curve, but there really are no "secrets". Perhaps tricks to getting things done quicker or solving certain problems, but that only comes with time and experience. You will not learn them all the moment you step off the plane at the Santiago airport. There might be some sort of "secrets" in some really third-world country that is politically and economically unstable where corruption is rampant (e.g. Argentina, Bolivia, Mexico), but Chile? Chile on many levels is not that much different from many countries in Europe. Slow, inefficient, unique way of doing things, but it does work in its own imperfect way.

99.9% of the "secrets" to Chile (i.e. problems expats in Chile face), are issues of cultural incompatibilities. I have always said that what we do has more in common with what Anthropologist do than anything else. We are trying to get two or more cultures to understand each other. Learn to play the cultural game, and most importantly follow the law.

This has been proven out over and over again with our clients. Our typical client (if there is such an animal), almost all of them after two years in Chile tend to reach a level where they no longer need us on a day to day basis. We still might handle their more complex legal work, but as for their relocation and getting settled problems they generally have a sufficient swing of things to be able to solve daily problems on their own. Even the two years is a generalization. Many are fairly self-sufficient and on their way in about 6 months ( often dependent on their level of Spanish). What we do is spend most of our time steering expats around cultural land mines until they can learn to see the cultural land mines for themselves.

If all goes well, most will likely spend the rest of their lives trying to figure out Chile, and so will I. I was not born here (my wife was however). I learn new things about Chile every single day. My wife learns new things about Chile every day, and she is Chilean. It is a culture, and culture by definition is something that infinity complex. Anyone that drops off an airplane with their tourist visa and declares themselves "THE expert on Chile" is completely full of it.

We screw-up also. We admit that we screwed-up, fix the problem, and when appropriate refund the client's money. First thing I have to do this morning is write a check for $250 to a client to cover the costs associated with a legalized document one of our employees lost in transit. We only charged the client $100. We took $150 dollar hit to cover the client's cost of requesting a new original document and shipping it, plus more in services to fix the problem. We made sure the problem got patched at the office where the final document was destined while a second document was being legalized, and we refunded the money to the client for the original. It was a client I never expected to ever have a reason to hire us beyond this one project, but we have a basic ethical obligation to fix it.

I still would rather have people that come to Chile and when they leave for whatever reason (many do), leave and be able to say when they get home 'Chile was not for me' rather than 'Chile is a corrupt and broken country where everyone is just taking advantage of the gringos' or 'Chile is just a scam'. We use to have a lot of that when we started. People would come, get steered the wrong way by a bunch of "Chile relocation experts" that just gotten off the plane themselves; and then, they would walk away from Chile with a much lighter pocketbook and a bad taste of Chile in their mouth as they tell their friends back home or blog about it on the Internet. Hell, just look at all the sites and stories out on the web about people getting scammed in Argentina. I don't want Chile to have that sort of international reputation. The easier it is for foreigners to live in Chile overall, the more foreigners will come, the better my business will be.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:16 am

Oh, by the way. If you do believe the World is going to end in some sudden catholicismic event and need assistance, we actually do have experience with those too.

Chaiten volcano
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic1536.html

And of course the 8.8 earthquake
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/chil ... 0-f41.html

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Seabee

Post by Seabee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Tough crowd, isn't Steve? :lol:
"We build, We fight"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 pm

StevenDC wrote:
admin wrote:Fascinating thing is that much of the "expert advice" I know these sorts of "experts" are either selling now or have sold in the past, comes directly from our sites. Some have even had the balls to call me or email me with questions.

You are paying them for what we give away for free.

We charge when we start doing things for people in particular cases.
Charles, We'll be there in Feb, I think now might be a good time to lay out to you what we are trying to do and how your services will be the best used. What is the best way to send you the info? I assume we will lay out our final goals, risk level and a fairly comprehensive outline of who we are to see where we might best fit.

I'm also curious if there is anything that we could help others with by being so near the consulate here in DC?
Steve
contact info is in my signature

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Seabee wrote:Tough crowd, isn't Steve? :lol:
Ahh Seabee, that is the best kind ! Those that can spot BS and call it for what it is are the kind of people I like to associate with. I owe Patagoniax a cold one. Those with little patience for ignorance and no patience for stupidity are the ones I wish more would emulate. The US would not be in the position it is in had we cut the BS years ago and told all the pampered, greedy, spoiled, arrogant, wasteful, self-serving fools that the punch bowl was empty and it was time to stand on our own two feet again.

Instead we borrowed our prosperity feeling that the rest of the world owed us. Time to pay the piper.

We live so isolated here from the real world. I didn't see any of it until I spent 7 months during 2003 in Eastern Europe and lived with the rest of the world. Funny thing not having 2 cars in the drive and cable in every room and yet the citizenry still being quite content and seemingly happy. Then to return home and realize the US is basically a very pissed off unhappy group of people. And why? Crap, we have everything in life handed to us then complain to the waiter because our water spilled. Changes they are acoming, just hope it isn't one of those Protestantclismic awakenings....
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

araucaniax

Post by araucaniax » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:53 pm

px, you're now killing me. When you first time posted this photo -- it brought tears to my eyes!..

Now again.. I mean, the picture of the Baguales.

Who on earth do you call, when you just can't stop crying?..

-A
"Separate yourself from disturbance and face whatever appears before you." ~ Tiantong Hongzhi Chanshi, 1091-1157, (named "Chan Master Spacious Wisdom" by the Song emperor Gao Zong)

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:54 pm

I just read that <banned topic on this forum> blog. Yes, of course the two right-wing heavyweights of the last 20 years (Piñera and Lavin) are investing their political capital behind education reform only to then abolish the ministry of education because, you know, homeschooling would work wonders in the poblacions. That way, 17-year old mums can teach their kids how to use their cell phone to multiply 4 by 3.

Then once they're done dissolving the ministry of education they'll get a quorum in parliament to revise the constitution and privatize Codelco.

Yeah right.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Damn, that is a fine shot of a condor.

John Hyre

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:.There is talk of forming some kind of "Galt's Gulch" in Chile. Having been involved in Laissez Faire City, Costa Rica (circa. 2000-2002) and a watcher of other so-called English speaking "freedom" communities and their (failed, if not scam filled) histories, this immediately drew my attention.
Being from South Western Ohio, I have seen the sustainable communities created by the Amish. In modern times, even they integrate (somewhat) and depend (to a minor level) on the rest of society. These "gult gulches", are they supposed to be completely self-sustaining? Will they make their own golf balls and distill their own malt? If they really close the doors, won't this lead to in-breeding?

At least the Amish make outstanding furniture.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:16 pm

What’s right with Chile?

The people the wine, fresh fruit and veggies, great seafood, cheap real estate and the greatest diversity of climates in any single country and if climate change types are right the deserts of the north should get regular rain in 10-20 years time.

Now back to Canada vs Russia Gold medal Junior Hockey Championship game from the terrace, great Sav Blanc at hand. Oh USA got the Bronze.
It's all about the wine.