Art Suppies in Santiago

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
susiedillon

Art Suppies in Santiago

Post by susiedillon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm

This is my first post - my husband and I live for part of each year (the northern hemisphere winter, of course) in Chile, about 200 kms, south of Santiago. I would like to find a source for art supplies - for quality acrylics and canvases that are a little better than those available in the Lapiz Lopez store in my local town. Could anyone recommend a good quality art supply store in Santiago? Please give a relatively detailed description of its location as I am not too familiar with the city.
Many thanks in advance to any and all helpers!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Art Suppies in Santiago

Post by admin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:24 pm

Check the ones around the various universities. I suspect better selection with a more demanding crowd.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

SimonC

Post by SimonC » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:46 pm

You may want to try the "Los dominicos" pueblito in Las Condes which is a great place to find handicrafts. You can get the metro to Escuela Militar and then grab a cab or take a bus to the end of Avda Apoquindo (I think the 406 & 407).
Good luck

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks for the answers - so fast!!! Just to clarify - and correct the typo in the header, I am looking for painting supplies - watercolour & acrylic paints, brushes, canvasses - rather than "works of art" . I would be happy to check the Yellow Pages if I were in Santiago but I am not - and where I live, as beautiful as it is, there is not even phone service, cellular or 'red', let alone internet. So all this must be done elsewhere. Frustrating, so now perhaps you can understand why I need this kind of help.
I yearn for the day that Entel or Movistar decide that our little corner of the world warrants the investment and build a tower. Then I truly would be in heaven !!!

KJS

Post by KJS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 am

There's nice art supply store in Bellavista connected to Patio Bellavista (not on the inside patio portion, but just on the other side of the La Fournil bakery/cafe). Not sure about prices, but they do have a nice spread of paints, brushes, and materials. I think it's on Pio Nono street.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm

2 minutes on <http://www.amarillas.cl> yielded two results that might help:

1. ARTE MORENO R Y CIA. LTDA.
Materiales para Pintura Artística y Artesanía (RM - Providencia)
Datos de contacto

Direcciones y teléfonos
Av Providencia 2519
Providencia - Santiago - RM
Fono: (2) 232 6678

2. TALLER DIBUJO PINTURA PEDRO BERNAL TRONCOSO
Escuelas de Arte (RM - Providencia)
Datos de contacto

http://www.pedrobernal.cl
Direcciones y teléfonos
Calle Los Naranjos 921
Providencia - Santiago - RM
Fono: (9) 9253 9999

RWS

Post by RWS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Were I you, Mrs. Dillon, I'd call (or, better, visit) the restorationists at the museum of fine arts. They must use the finest supplies in their work and (I'd guess) look for value in their own time, so you may receive reliable recommendations for each class.

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 am

Art restorers would be using Oil paint, egg tempuras, wax additives, hand ground pigments, etc. and other rather obscure types of paints not ACRYLICS. I doubt they would be an accessible source of information on modern art supplies. :)

RWS

Post by RWS » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 am

Good point, Helen; acrylics have little to do with restoration -- yet (just wait 'til those late-twentieth-century canvasses start to flake!).

But Mrs. Dillon asked for "a source for art supplies - for [good?] quality . . . canvases . . . . [and] a good quality art supply store in Santiago . . . ." Por eso, I think that Bellas Artes can help.

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:15 am

Suzy, when in America you could call Binney and Smith, makers of Liquitex (darn good Acrylics) in Easton Pa 1-888-4ACRYLIC (1-888-422-7954) , or Golden, (The Best) and find out if they ship to Chile and ask for the distributor.I looked at the Windsor Newton (excellent quality) but they don't even mention International availability.

Golden Paintworks®
188 Bell Road
New Berlin, NY 13411-9527
Phone: 607-847-6154
Fax: 607-847-9228
E-mail: paintworks@goldenpaints.com

Winsor & Newton
11 Constitution Avenue
Piscataway New Jersey 08854
USA

Telephone: 800-445-4278
Fax: 732-562-0941

susiedillon

Post by susiedillon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Helibel, Thank you for your suggestion - it was incredibly successful : Within minutes of my email to the Golden website I had
an answer (see the three locations listed below ) and even received an additional email from the International Sales Director with confirmation that these stores still exist. What an amazing level of customer service. Now I have no further excuse not to be "creative" !!! Thank you again - and to all of you who sent in such helpful suggesions - I am indebted to you all.

Susie

Color Animal
Nueva Costanera 4010 local 6
Vitacura
SANTIAGO, .
Chile
Phone: 2073019
Fax: 2287862

OR

Color Animal
Francisco Noguera 17
Providencia
Santiago,
Chile
Phone: 56 2 334 9051

Cuatro Colores
Avenida Nueva Costanera 3485
Local 3 Vitacura
Santiago, .
Chile
Phone: 56 2 953 6661
Email: rjimenez@cuatrocolores.cl

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Susie, as a long time acrylic artist, one more piece of advice. No matter how well you take care of your brushes, acrylic paint will destroy brushes. When I was at the height of my productivity I bought brushes by the dozens because I would throw so many away. ( might be worth shopping for while in the US at those huge craft discounters) I found good quality brushes made for craft painters as opposed to fine artist brushes were great, lasted a long time, did what I asked of them but were not so expensive that I cried if the paint dried while I answered a phone call, (happens) and NEVER use your good watercolor brushes for acrylis, that will make you cry. The water color brushes will last forever and you should buy the best you can afford. Actually one fantastic size 10-14 round will do almost anything you need in watercolor. If you know all this, ignore me.I mean well :D