My horror encounter with German investors in Chile

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
HybridAmbassador

Re: My horror encounter with German investors in Chile

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:29 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm
ahhhhhhhhhh, i'm sorry but my bullshit meter just broke half way through that post.

at very minimum, being extremely chairitable here, you entered in to a major life altering buisness deal on a handshake?

yea, that is not a German problem or even a Chilean problem.

someone call Gloria. i got an asado to get to.
I think Gloria-san is busy making her wood goods so her appearance has to wait ....
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:13 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:29 pm
I think Gloria-san is busy making her wood goods so her appearance has to wait ....
He´s going to need an audience, must wait for his turn in a comfortable chair under the shade. It will take long.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Henryadis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm
How about some constructive comments Mr or Ms Anci
But you didn't read the constructive comments previously posted.

Henryadis

Post by Henryadis » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:06 am

Dear All,
I have as info updated my article with new information ..
We just stayed in Pto Varas for few days and we went to the same hostal, where couple of years ago we had actually good experience.. however this time .. (see end of article was very strange .. a lady who think of herself being german without speaking a word .. and think exactly same shit as the two german investors ..
Does anyone have explanation for it .. I am really curious to know ..

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:51 am

I'm sad you deleted the part about suffering persecution by European governments. I'd like to read more about that. Buena suerte.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 am

i still think there is whole lot more to this story, but i'll bite.

you are surprised that the german-chileans are racist?

chileans are racists. i bet half of chile had never seen a black person, let alone talked one, untill the recent arrival of black haiten, venezuelan, colombian immigrants the last few years. all that did was just make a lot of them more racists and xenophobic.

my wife and i once had dinner with another couple. she was from one of the old german families in the south. her husband in the middle of dinner goes in to this long anti-semitic rant about jews. she interupts after a few mins, and says, "what the hell are you talking sbout. your jewish. your whole family is jewish".

the chilean germans are no more german than i am scotish.

it is not a german thing, although they tend to have their own thing, it is a chilean thing. the germans, as a group in chile, were posdibly even more isolated because they tended to stick together, live in small towns, etc.

many of the old germans, were more than sympathetic to the Nazis, they were actually nazis that colaborated durring the war. there was an entire set of archives recently declassified by the chilean goverment regarding their intelligence investigations durring the war. anong the archives were photos of nazi mertings in southern chile with swastikas on the walls, and everyone doing hihle hitler. i recognized many of the meeting halls. they were the german clubs in southern chile.

I posted a recent study over on another thread, where something like 70% of chileans where found to be xenophobic, etc. i told my wife about it, and her first reaction was, "someone actually had to conduct a study to find out chileans are racist"?

so yea, chileans are racists, and it is probably even more obvious in chile, because chileans have never been very big on political correctness and are even worse liers, so they are not very good at hiding it even if they do hold their tung.

but as i have repeatedly said on the forum, chileans go beyond racism. they will desciminate against the their own family. if tio jorge goes out to the beach and comes back with too much of a tan, they will call him "negrito", forever. if someone in the family has a kid thst is just a little darker than the rest of the family, they will gossip about it endlessly, tend not to invite the kid over as much as the rest, and treat the kid like he or she is stupid. all in their own family. i don't even know what you call that type of discrimination. it is not racism, they are all the same race.

now, all that said, and i might be totaly wrong about this, but there is something mossing from your story, and a bunch of clues in your writing, that says to me there is something about you, or perhaps your wife, that is setting them off.

you still have not answered my question. where are you orginaly from? where is your family from?

i aak this with total respect. i have lived in the neatherlands, traveled northern europe extensively.

i have at times described what we do as having more in common with what a cultural anthropologist does, than what most attorneys in the world do.

my phone rings, i answer, the person on the other end of the line is going to speak for a few seconds, and i have only those few seconds to make a shoot from the hip cultural recalibration.

are they chinese? are they indian? are they american, german, etc. what sort of german, chinese, indian, pakistani, etc? is that accent from a southern or northern state in the u.s.? what is their probable political leanings? is that chinese from the mainland china, tiawan, u.s., etc. where did they grow-up, how much efucation do they have?

i have do all of that in typicaly less than 30 seconds, because i need to communicate and understand what they want and what they need, and hopefully not offend them in the next 30 seconds. should i mention that i lived in china, or say anything about the chinese goverment? is this person that says they are in dubai, realy from india? is that american pro-trump, or even from america at all? what religion are they? on and on and on.

i do that all day, every day. I will talk to 10 or 20 diffrent countries, and 20 diffrent cultures before noon. send 50 emails, to people with completly diffrent backgrounds. probably read another 100 email from all over the world. half of them will be lieing to me or otherwise intentionally trying to decieve me.

i got to sort them out, with very little and imperfect informatìon, so i can even start considering their particular problem, if we can help, and is it worth bothering one of our attorneys over and how am i going to brief and explain that case to one of our attorneys that is depending on me to put the whole thing in some sort of context or frame the situation. that is all before i even start worrying about if they have any money to pay us.

that is all beyond the daily work of our existing clients, that we realy do have a lot more information to go on.

so, i am asking where you are from, because i believe it is very very relevant to this conversation. FYI, not answering that for the second time, in itself, indicates to me a high probablity you are from certain set of culturals. it is a very reliable cultural trait in my experience, that helps to narrow down origin and motives.

even if you are the sterio typical blonde haired, blue eyed german, i could see the cultural gap between germans in southern chile and germans today in germany being sufficient to cause more than a few issues and solicit more than a few strange reactions from southern chile germans. i have seen that more than once.

that would be all apart from digging in to what class or segment of german society you come from, education levels, job, etc. class system in germany and europe in general alive and well.

everyone comes from at least one culture, in spite of all efforts to politically sanitize and pretend they don't exist. which is a whole culture in itself.

so, where are you from? what is your cultural story, that is missing from this story?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am

AnciaVagar wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:51 am
I'm sad you deleted the part about suffering persecution by European governments. I'd like to read more about that. Buena suerte.
there was more posted?

that was probably what i was looking for to fill in the gap in this story.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 am

admin wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 am
i still think there is whole lot more to this story, but i'll bite.

you are surprised that the german-chileans are racist?

chileans are racists. i bet half of chile had never seen a black person, let alone talked one, untill the recent arrival of black haiten, venezuelan, colombian immigrants the last few years. all that did was just make a lot of them more racists and xenophobic.

my wife and i once had dinner with another couple. she was from one of the old german families in the south. her husband in the middle of dinner goes in to this long anti-semitic rant about jews. she interupts after a few mins, and says, "what the hell are you talking sbout. your jewish. your whole family is jewish".

the chilean germans are no more german than i am scotish.

it is not a german thing, although they tend to have their own thing, it is a chilean thing. the germans, as a group in chile, were posdibly even more isolated because they tended to stick together, live in small towns, etc.

many of the old germans, were more than sympathetic to the Nazis, they were actually nazis that colaborated durring the war. there was an entire set of archives recently declassified by the chilean goverment regarding their intelligence investigations durring the war. anong the archives were photos of nazi mertings in southern chile with swastikas on the walls, and everyone doing hihle hitler. i recognized many of the meeting halls. they were the german clubs in southern chile.

I posted a recent study over on another thread, where something like 70% of chileans where found to be xenophobic, etc. i told my wife about it, and her first reaction was, "someone actually had to conduct a study to find out chileans are racist"?

so yea, chileans are racists, and it is probably even more obvious in chile, because chileans have never been very big on political correctness and are even worse liers, so they are not very good at hiding it even if they do hold their tung.

but as i have repeatedly said on the forum, chileans go beyond racism. they will desciminate against the their own family. if tio jorge goes out to the beach and comes back with too much of a tan, they will call him "negrito", forever. if someone in the family has a kid thst is just a little darker than the rest of the family, they will gossip about it endlessly, tend not to invite the kid over as much as the rest, and treat the kid like he or she is stupid. all in their own family. i don't even know what you call that type of discrimination. it is not racism, they are all the same race.

now, all that said, and i might be totaly wrong about this, but there is something mossing from your story, and a bunch of clues in your writing, that says to me there is something about you, or perhaps your wife, that is setting them off.

you still have not answered my question. where are you orginaly from? where is your family from?

i aak this with total respect. i have lived in the neatherlands, traveled northern europe extensively.

i have at times described what we do as having more in common with what a cultural anthropologist does, than what most attorneys in the world do.

my phone rings, i answer, the person on the other end of the line is going to speak for a few seconds, and i have only those few seconds to make a shoot from the hip cultural recalibration.

are they chinese? are they indian? are they american, german, etc. what sort of german, chinese, indian, pakistani, etc? is that accent from a southern or northern state in the u.s.? what is their probable political leanings? is that chinese from the mainland china, tiawan, u.s., etc. where did they grow-up, how much efucation do they have?

i have do all of that in typicaly less than 30 seconds, because i need to communicate and understand what they want and what they need, and hopefully not offend them in the next 30 seconds. should i mention that i lived in china, or say anything about the chinese goverment? is this person that says they are in dubai, realy from india? is that american pro-trump, or even from america at all? what religion are they? on and on and on.

i do that all day, every day. I will talk to 10 or 20 diffrent countries, and 20 diffrent cultures before noon. send 50 emails, to people with completly diffrent backgrounds. probably read another 100 email from all over the world. half of them will be lieing to me or otherwise intentionally trying to decieve me.

i got to sort them out, with very little and imperfect informatìon, so i can even start considering their particular problem, if we can help, and is it worth bothering one of our attorneys over and how am i going to brief and explain that case to one of our attorneys that is depending on me to put the whole thing in some sort of context or frame the situation. that is all before i even start worrying about if they have any money to pay us.

that is all beyond the daily work of our existing clients, that we realy do have a lot more information to go on.

so, i am asking where you are from, because i believe it is very very relevant to this conversation. FYI, not answering that for the second time, in itself, indicates to me a high probablity you are from certain set of culturals. it is a very reliable cultural trait in my experience, that helps to narrow down origin and motives.

even if you are the sterio typical blonde haired, blue eyed german, i could see the cultural gap between germans in southern chile and germans today in germany being sufficient to cause more than a few issues and solicit more than a few strange reactions from southern chile germans. i have seen that more than once.

that would be all apart from digging in to what class or segment of german society you come from, education levels, job, etc. class system in germany and europe in general alive and well.

everyone comes from at least one culture, in spite of all efforts to politically sanitize and pretend they don't exist. which is a whole culture in itself.

so, where are you from? what is your cultural story, that is missing from this story?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm
ahhhhhhhhhh, i'm sorry but my bullshit meter just broke half way through that post.
......and bullshit it is!...................not one little bit but..........................ALL OF IT!....and very entertaining to say the least.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Spelling "chilenos" and "Brasil" are leads that he's possibly Brazilian, maybe from German descent. That would explain a lot of his writing quirks. Nonetheless, this is a really weird sorry.

Henryadis

Post by Henryadis » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello Anci,Gloria and Admin and hello All,

first of all I need to thank Admin for such a long answer ..
it really surprises me and shocked me a bit as well, but moreover it makes me sad to hear that a country made of so many backgrounds .. has this issue as we have now and throughout the history in Europe ...
I just learned I guess few more things about Chile .. and of course I am not naive to believe that there are no tensions and sensitivities every were .. and I really just wanted to make public my experience .. and again it is not about me .. because on the end I am fine.. it was a business opportunity I wanted to take that chance.. it did not work and that`s it ...but what made me furious was the fact that it all came down to our origins, especially that from my wife .. and I can and will never accept that kind of racism from no one and I made it public .. and wanted to understand more, because it was not one person, but I met a whole bunch of them with more or less same convictions ... and it really shocked me ..

Furthermore, I have nothing to hide where I am from.. and I told them already in Germany all about us and they met us twice ... I am very glad that Admin lived in Amsterdam and experienced himself the tolerance there .. .. than I am sure you know the city of Arnhem.. which is on the border to Germany.. also if you cross it .. just few miles down toward the south.. that`s where I grew up - with mixed dutch parents .. so far I can tell .. I spent most of time traveling rather to Holland than any other German town.. cos I loved the easy going and tolerant culture.. my parents both were public servants and academics..
while I was studying 30 years ago languages .. I came across job offers to work for immigration in translation ...and I did it to long for 18 years .. but trust me it was a different planet from now days ...and I don`t like to make this a topic here ..it would take a 500 pages of a book to write even a bit about it.. ...but I will give here a promise to Admin and Anci- and few others .. I will invite you for some beer if you agree and discuss in detail on my next trip .. because we just made up our minds and have decided to go back for a while.... until we plan long term and much better and see for next years with another friend, who is on his way down to Patagonia to buy a small piece of land for a camping site ..
Take care .
Henry