My horror encounter with German investors in Chile

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Henryadis

My horror encounter with German investors in Chile

Post by Henryadis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 am

Hello Everybody,

I would like to share with you this horror experience that I just have had or encountered in the south of Chile with two German investors, and I also very much hope that one day some smart journalists will go deep underground to bring light to this phenomena ..
First of all, something about me:
I grew up in Germany, however with other European background.. I have been successful with my translation office for almost two decades ... than I moved to UK and worked for some great companies in conference business, where I also met my wife, who is a nurse and from Brasil ..
Now the story:
By chance we learned the two German entrepreneurs who owned and ran for a while a large hotel in the south and a construction company, but both were shut down according to them, because there was very difficult to build something, because of corruption or because finding professionals difficult,because of high taxes which Chilenos do not deserve etc ..
We met several times and discussed a lot and in detail. They were looking for a person, who would convert the property into a flats and get part of the rent as a salary and live there for free, manage the rents preferably or exclusively for Germans ...

However, these were still in shock, because as the house was recently completely robbed. Although a gardener seems to live there most of time ... this worried me, but the two made it clear that the region was safe, only that was bad luck with the people etc .. and that they would support me in any way with my plans etc..

After two hospitals of the region said that nurses are in urgent need and we should first have the diploma of Mercosur States recognized, which it should go rather fast and it is equal to a diploma from Chile .. all this info gave us quite confidence to move on. Actually, our plan was first to get the documents recognized till the end of 2020 and I could sell my property on the Adriatic Sea ..

But this offer was interesting and we were ready to work almost half a year pay for our new life, in case we could not rent only, than we would negotiate a salary .. After months of consideration, among other things, because we were now living in Berlin and very unhappy, we closed the deal with a handshake in their office and previously confirmed by phone as well.. It was agreed that we clarify all the necessary details on the spot and put something in writing ...Of course, I thought about it, if that was too much trust on my part. But when I visited the offices and the company in close to Zürich and saw myself that they were working also for city council (as me before in my field), I was sure .. we will not let it fail with some small things and he will keep his word .. it was a win-win project and he admitted having searched long time for a person like me..

I traveled first because my wife had not seen family for three years and stayed there longer and also get the legalization of the diploma that dragged on ..

Already one month before I went on a search for information about the region and how we could bring the project to success .. already had contacts from the trip and asked my Austrian and another friend for advice, which I have very important ideas and encouraged me ...

When I arrived, it turned out that the house had been uninhabited for years and the robbers themselves had taken even the plugs and lights and was in need of renovation.  Nevertheless, I began to spread confidence at all .. but then it turned out that the owner had not convinced his wife yet, which was a shy person, seems never had traveled outside a village of the Alps... she asked me on the first day with big doubts and full of fears like how me such a lovely person such as me, how will I fend off these criminals ... but never was the talk of a bouncer or Security man's needed before .. In my career, I also often had worked with victims while translating and knew they would panic for a while ..When the little Brother came and was a much open and talkative mate, I thought we could do it easily and already made two important suggestions that we could put into action right away to have even something for this season ... those suggestions were accepted with even some compliments ..

While I was trying to collect my ideas and also asking myself a little bit, so to speak, to find out what had happened there, so that does not happen to me, and spent half a day working every day in the garden, the woman continued every day with more digging and distrust .. especially about our origins .. (even though since my childhood I know only De & Uk, NL) and also started telling them all in details about me ..). But I could see that it is not about our abilities, or anything else.. but about, subtle fundamental mistrust because of our origins ...

I tried to make easier and showed my ideas and vision and progress ...
I once took a person hitchhiking, which was a coincidence from the city council and spoke excellent English and told me that he knew the hotel and the other company that reported bankruptcy .. he also said that the villagers and neighbors always were wondering about the two guys, which seems not to like anyone and isolate themselves from all .. also they were naive building a multimillion dollar villa as a hotel with zero experience and market research in tourism .. they all felt sorry .. but he was right to mention.. it was naive to leave all that with no security for years..
..I realized it that this important information the concealed from me..

Soon they even invited another compatriot from Araucania and he asked me in a very strange way provocative questions .. (also about my country of birth) and who was full of hate speech and looked down to Chilenos .. then finally rang at me .. that I here I am dealing with two completely unsettled, inexperienced guys ..In any case, in addition, the woman undoubtedly managed to put so much fear in husband`s head and sow a seed of mistrust until it blossomed .. (knowing that I am negotiating and considering months and invested a lot before our decision, I also had sent 20 pages long CV about me ..) ...

The worst thing for me was overall, imagine me who had worked in London, NYC, Berlin with hundreds of nations together for years, their hate speech or tirades for hours hours every night for three weeks from the Big Brother over the lazy, dirty, unreliable, corrupt and primitive and unworthy and uncultured Chilenos, which they portrayed them with worst description you can imagine and a racist can have in his vocabulary.... and this other visitor who manages a Fundo in Auraucania and other friends had all same ideals that Nazi Germany was best time and there were no burning people in the ovens and Jews deserves and they still run all finance system and so on..(only one older man from Santiago and another older one with a chilean women on his side from the same town were quite and ashamed of all that..

I realized that I am now in hell .. but what to do…
I could not just walk away .. did not even have a car ..

Then I tried to tell for examples that I have accompanied countless successful investors today in many EU countries, which established there hotels or other companies with help of my translators.. but also let me see that these successes in my opinion only with integration with locals, but no one had against the locals succeed.

I can not be something like a dummy of them on the spot, but have to my own decisions .. finally failed their strategy totally. Mine would have been to win so many friends and to have good neighbors and also to get to know the gardener's family and to meet many important people and leaders from the small town and win as partners, who could help find builder and make it legally while than i realized it they wanted to do only on "private basis" (i guess because of bankruptcy) whatever that means here...
I'm still sure, i could have been their the person needed to build a bridge to community.
I also talked to the gardener about the robbery and he highlighted an important point since he was there for four years, and if he was a bad man, he would wait four years, hardly
... ..
Further more, comments like .. "Your wife can not go to work with a bus, .. because you know what happens .. I said" näääh what? .. "the bus is full of lice and will spread over all .. even in our home .. that does not work" .. and because I "can not behave like a boss .. you always have to show the Chileans who is here the boss and say that with my methods of approaching .., nothing would come of it" ... and further similar endless announcement were when I was told made me speechless shocked and now realized clearly that I'm just full of two people hatred towards locals and and that was the reason for their ruin as well..
And about 5 days before their departure they said that I could not do the job, I asked clearly why, " because I was too good a person and not aggressive enough etc .. and immediately .. and should go back .. "where I come from“..

I have realized what respect the locals have to the german pioneers in south who build a lot in Chile … same time the story seams to be that the rumors in Europe that Argentina and Chile were full of Nazis (as in a long recent Arte Channel docu portrayed ) seams really to have some ground.. and i meet a group of them.. but I also met genuine investors, such as one guy from Austria, a true Marco Pollo, who is in love with magic Patagonia and Chilean people and culture .. and I asked him- here friends have houses in Patagonie and left for months alone and the neighbors toke care .. so I am not generalizing..
Finally, I need to emphasize that this is not about me .. I am fine and actually rather happy that this did not work, because most of the times it is a pure madness to work with Germans, as they always insist only on their ways and their terms and never see you as equal partner..rather as cleaner who has to follow orders and that`s it..

... last but not least, it might sounds for some of you strange, who are here making also some nonsense and strange comments, which I do not understand .. as it is quite my first time writing in such forums.. but I really do genuinely like Chile and the people .. and I take this risks .. but i wanted to do a small service to all of you and just inform the public about this immigrants, who come here buy large lands such one we meet from Araucanía managing over one thousand hectares of land on behalf of rich bankers and Swiss aristocrats and still looking down and complaining all day about Chilean people ...
.........................................................................................................................................
Update:
We just stayed in Pto Varas for few days and we went to the same hostal, where couple of years ago we had actually good experience.. however this time after telling our story... this lady came out saying more or less all what is described above about Chilenos .. even though she did not speak a word German or never in her life went for a visit .. she only say, she is German because her grand, grand parents and so on ..when we told her that denying holocaust for ex. is a crime in Germany .. she was stunt.. no she said, they deserved it .. it is appalling man .. what`s wrong with this people, is there no history teaching or documentaries in Chile . ..

Space Cat

Re: My horror encounter with German investors in Chile

Post by Space Cat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Henryadis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 am
I have realized what respect the locals have to the german pioneers in south who build a lot in Chile … same time the story seams to be that the rumors in Europe that Argentina and Chile were full of Nazis
Dunno, I've heard many times both from Chileans and US immigrants that they hate to deal with most of old-school German Chileans. Many of them behave extremely arrogant and entitled towards Chilean Chileans. It's not even a class thing because lots of them are poor. You also can meet some who are openly Nazi. The only respectful things I've heard were about the German architecture and beer traditions.

Also, I've met some immigrants who were telling me that "southern Chile is so much better because it was built by Germans" but this is wishful thinking. Germans contributed a lot at some point of time in some cities but they definitely didn't build the whole south. The most of the cultural differences we have here exist because southern Chile was separated for centuries from the central regions by the Mapuche lands and of course it was strongly influenced by the indigenous culture.

Source: I consulted an actual historian. But when you walk around the southern cities, you can try counting yourself how many German-looking people you see and how many are there with obviously indigenous genes. The results may surprise you. 😛

mem

Post by mem » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:41 pm

I am not sure I fully understand your description written in english, but I think I get the gist versus the nuances. Is this about how it is?

So you and your Brazilian wife honeymooned in south America. You and her lived in europe and you met two Germans in europe that told you about some failed businesses they had in southern Chile and recruited you to rebuild/repurpose their properties entirely with your salary being only future proceeds from rent. You and your wife then moved to southern chile with nothing in legally enforceable writing to do this for the Germans you met in Europe

Now you are shocked and appalled there was more to the story when you arrived from across the world and are regretful that you embarked on this endeavor and now you feel you have no recourse because you dont have anything writing and feel like you cant just leave

Your perception of the "racism" in Chile tells you these must be "bad people" and explains perhaps why they mislead and seemingly took advantage of your happy go luck nature.

Why cant you go back to Europe and start fresh? Why cant you go to Brazil where your wife is from and live there?

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:59 pm

I know a very experienced ex-Santiago lawyer who moved to Auracania for the lifestyle and continues to practice down here. He grew up in Punta Arenas and describes the South of Chile as still very fuedal when compared to Santiago.

Never do anything on a handshake in Chile, or indeed anywhere in Latin America. And yes, some people will think you´re an easy push over if you´re too nice to them, they´ll see you as soft, naive, and a prime target to be taken advantantage of. Culture again....

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

I don't know, but as I read your account the idea struck that maybe the "investors" and "nazis" were really German government agents assigned to get revenge. =)

Anyway, here's some good advice: any deal good enough for you to work for free for some period must be good enough for the other party to pay you a full salary from day one (plus moving expenses). As for the promise of free rent in the future, get paid what you are worth then you pay your own way. Then you will have control over your own life.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:55 pm

What a bizarre tale.
Hope you aren't a troll.(For a translator, your English is slightly subpar)

Are you doing all this on a Tourist Visa, or do you have a formal contract of employment?
If you are "for real", your European outlook is a liability here and will cause you endless problems.
Don't believe or trust anyone and you can't go far wrong.
Après moi, le déluge

Henryadis

Post by Henryadis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Thank you all for your explanations and feedback ..
no, I am very real person... and I really appreciate it ..and yes, I would agree that I did not negotiate properly, how I am used to do .... but was not yet there myself .. there were about 10 apartments.. 2 of them ready ... so the salary would have been a good percentage of that rent . (actually they had an offer from a company from Columbia to rent for very high rent for that region ..but declined.. was not involved and do not know why they declined the rent offer.. however they told me once that it is a big problem in Chile to rent property .. one person rented the villa for family ... and they discovered later he had started a night club in there...

The question why not Brasil is simply to answer .. the security issue and the heat and humidity.. which I really can not stand..
I worked at the prestigious companies in UK for almost a decade and my English was good enough .. so Mr. or Ms. Freegie and Admin - you must have other reasons to write this way ... and will not comment in future any immature feedback and with lack of any substance ..
And last but not least- I definitely can accept criticism - will not comment any personal attacks though.. .. i leave it to the other readers to have fun with it..
Regards and thanks to all
Henry

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm

ahhhhhhhhhh, i'm sorry but my bullshit meter just broke half way through that post.

at very minimum, being extremely chairitable here, you entered in to a major life altering buisness deal on a handshake?

yea, that is not a German problem or even a Chilean problem.

someone call Gloria. i got an asado to get to.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 pm

oh, and those sure do not look like German first language speaker errors in your posts.

where are you really from?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:38 pm

If this is real and his wife is really a Brazilian nurse with papers in order to work in Chile, she can get a Visa Mercosur. Your contact is worth the paper it's written on, so jump out and move to somewhere better.

That is, of course, assuming this is true.

mem

Post by mem » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 pm

It seems legit, looking at the historical posts from this username. It is just a sad cautionary tale for those not being fastidious enough. Moving back to europe or brazil seems to be the best course of action and just cutting bait. Brazil's widespread multiculturalism should be much more amenable to the sensibilities and plus his wife is from there originally, seems a a much better recipe for long term success

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 am

Henryadis wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm
Thank you all for your explanations and feedback .. no, I am very real person... and I really appreciate it ..and yes, I would agree that I did not negotiate properly, how I am used to do .. there were though reasons for accepting a handshake instead of writing from my side as well.., firstly because I am quite one old fashioned of a handshake business deal.. but also another reason I would say was that I saw all the pictures of the property and surroundings .. but was not yet there myself .. there were about 10 apartments.. 2 of them ready ... so the salary would have been a good percentage of that rent . (actually they had an offer from a company from Columbia to rent for very high rent for that region ..but declined..
[snip]
Sorry, that's still nonsense in re: the deal. And bizarre use of language for a translator. Good luck.