mail service...

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
PaChileVoy

Re: mail service...

Post by PaChileVoy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:42 pm

Hmmmm.... how I would love to copy many of the comments regarding the bad mail service in Chile. As a U.S. Postal Service employee, I can gloat about how good 'we' move the mail. In spite of the horror stories many americans may have about our 'snail mail' and how bad the service is. I have mailed packages to Santiago from the U.S. and it has taken no fewer than 15 days each time. I guess it's sort of a thing to keep in mind when complaining about our US postal service, in stark comparison to what I have read here.

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:49 pm

PaChileVoy wrote:...I guess it's sort of a thing to keep in mind when complaining about our US postal service, in stark comparison to what I have read here.
You´ll never hear any complaints about the USPS from me! Best mail service in the world. Chile on the other hand is still in the 18th century, I actually had better mail service living in Mexico.

Lets not forget the Customs holding packages hostage in Santiago until I pay a ransom to them even though said package has my name and address in Arica on it, that is always "fun". Then there was that one package that I never received in Chile and the sender swore up and down it was mailed to me. The Correo is up on me about $1,300USD. Dont get me started on this I will go psychotic real quick. :cry:
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 pm

I get so many damaged packages from my local postal guy on the bike, that he is now really proud and tells me in broken English, "look not damaged". He has gotten so use to them being damaged, that he has smartened up and refused to deliver them from the post office so as not get his name on the damage reports I believe. Instead he tells me I have to go down and claim them at the office, so he does not get caught in the middle.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tonyakaserg

Post by tonyakaserg » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:07 pm

zulu789 wrote:Yes, you have to pay for certain mail delivered to you,The mailman will keep an accurate acount of how much money you owe to him,a couple pieces of mail may go "on credit" , but after a while you may experience "lack" of mailing.....

These is establish by a Government Decree (Decreto del Ministerio de Transportes y Telecomunicaciones, de octubre de 2004), and the cost is $CL 30 for every piece of mail.
It all makes sense now...

RWS

Post by RWS » Fri May 02, 2008 8:30 pm

mlightheart wrote:Certified letters in the states work the same way I believe. You receive a notification in your box and you sign for it.
That's true.

RWS

Post by RWS » Fri May 02, 2008 8:35 pm

PaChileVoy wrote:. . . . As a U.S. Postal Service employee, I can gloat about how [well] . . . 'we' move the mail. In spite of the horror stories many americans may have about our 'snail mail' and how bad the service is. . . .
Many of those complaints may be based on the contrast between present-day service and service years ago (mail was delivered twice a day in cities a century ago, and I'm old enough to remember that cross-city and cross-country deliveries often were faster before implementation of the once-notorious Zone Improvement Plan). Or they may be based on a lack of improvement commensurate with increases in charges to the customer. Or, of course, it may just be human nature to complain . . . .

SoCal-Lady

Post by SoCal-Lady » Sat May 03, 2008 3:02 am

PaChileVoy wrote:Hmmmm.... how I would love to copy many of the comments regarding the bad mail service in Chile. As a U.S. Postal Service employee, I can gloat about how good 'we' move the mail. In spite of the horror stories many americans may have about our 'snail mail' and how bad the service is. I have mailed packages to Santiago from the U.S. and it has taken no fewer than 15 days each time. I guess it's sort of a thing to keep in mind when complaining about our US postal service, in stark comparison to what I have read here.
I agree. Despite the occasional "glitches" that we love to complain about, the U.S. post office does an excellent job. Mail gets delivered quickly, at no charge, and (usually) with a smile. :)

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat May 03, 2008 5:06 am

When I go back to the US this fall, I promise that I will kiss the first Mail Carrier I see, and post a picture here! Some "socialized" programs really work well! Hey, go buy those eternity stamps while you can!

Vicki

sputnic1

Post by sputnic1 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:When I go back to the US this fall, I promise that I will kiss the first Mail Carrier I see, and post a picture here! Some "socialized" programs really work well! Hey, go buy those eternity stamps while you can!

Vicki
About the only gov't program I can't complain about...oh wait, they lose how may billion a quarter? The mail does get to us quick though.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I had a question about packages mailed from the US to Chile. Do I even dare try and have packages of goods mailed to me? I'm thinking that I could mail shoes and Clothing that I can't get in Chile. Can you insure the package internationally? I'll have no real reason to return to the US so it'd make more sense for me to even pay air freight than fly up just to go shopping.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 pm

But the USPS claim they are a "private" corporation?? And service continues to decline and rates continue to increase despite it all.

Regarding the question, your ultimate problem will be with Chile Aduanas. Important points:

(1) Always better to have something shipped to you from a residential address appearing to be a family-like care package than from a business.
(2) If no choice and sent from a business address, have that businessperson classify the shipment as a "gift" with maybe an enclosed letter to you with evidence of "familiarity."
(3) If 1 or 2 can't be done, it may slip through or not. The less inside the box and the less the dollar declaration, the more likely it will slip through without a hold.

Bottomline, for clothes, personal care type items, smaller tools, parts, etc., have someone repackage and forward to you from a residential address or residential-like address in the States.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

sputnic1

Post by sputnic1 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:07 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:But the USPS claim they are a "private" corporation?? And service continues to decline and rates continue to increase despite it all.

Regarding the question, your ultimate problem will be with Chile Aduanas. Important points:

(1) Always better to have something shipped to you from a residential address appearing to be a family-like care package than from a business.
(2) If no choice and sent from a business address, have that businessperson classify the shipment as a "gift" with maybe an enclosed letter to you with evidence of "familiarity."
(3) If 1 or 2 can't be done, it may slip through or not. The less inside the box and the less the dollar declaration, the more likely it will slip through without a hold.

Bottomline, for clothes, personal care type items, smaller tools, parts, etc., have someone repackage and forward to you from a residential address or residential-like address in the States.
Good. I was planning on having my sister purchase the clothing and shipping in to me. The only other question I have is shipping of professional equipment. I was planning on shipping my ultrasound, e-stim, PT equipment, and portable chiropractic tables via air cargo (Delta/AA whomever). Will my stuff get stuck in customs for an extended period of time? Only businesses can use Delta's Air Cargo from what I understand and I have to drop off the equipment at the US airport and I pick it up at the Santiago Airport. Does anyone know how that works/customs, etc. I can't ship it in the shipping container with the rest of my stuff because that container will not ship off before I begin working in Chile and without my equipment, I can't work. It'll be over the $1500 business exemption for professional equipment so I know I will have to pay a fee for the difference.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 am

Air cargo is definitely outside my experience.

Charles? Hello Charles? Where the hell are you?

Read up on what Charles has arranged with periodic air cargo shipments to Temuco, I don't know if he can work something out for other locations.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat