graffitti in Chile

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
greg~judy

Re: graffitti in Chile

Post by greg~judy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:46 pm

...They got real artist to take their time and do real work.
We have been marking the walls since we were cavemen, just some people's marks are better than others.
To wit...
http://picasaweb.google.com/ybn888/Stre ... _DvtISlVw#
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

otravers

Post by otravers » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 pm

admin wrote:We have been marking the walls since we were cavemen, just some people's marks are better than others.
Just keep the graffiti to your own fucking cave!

[Edit: by that, I mean: people can spray on their own dawn property]

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Perhaps the best punishement the law should have for these graffitti artists would be to paint them from the head to feet in a colorfull color :mrgreen: Of course, with a paint that takes some month to go away ... :twisted:

Anyways, more practical is to force them to paint the city, to repair the damage

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:47 pm

My fantasy is catching one of these kids in the act, grabbing his spray can and spraying his back with some suitable phrase.
But the brat's parents would call the cops, and the argument that "he sprayed my wall, so I sprayed his school blazer" would be ignored.
The law is crap here, so I just paint and repaint over the graffiti.
Après moi, le déluge

pinguin

Post by pinguin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:12 pm

fraggle092 wrote:My fantasy is catching one of these kids in the act, grabbing his spray can and spraying his back with some suitable phrase.
But the brat's parents would call the cops, and the argument that "he sprayed my wall, so I sprayed his school blazer" would be ignored.
The law is crap here, so I just paint and repaint over the graffiti.
I had a friend that used to have a cable company at Los Andes. He used the following strategy. Every time he was attacked by graffitti artists he immediately painted back the building :shock: It happened several times but the graffitti savages give up. I bet it was too expensive for them to finish a never ending work. :mrgreen:

audeo13

Re: A question and a tangent

Post by audeo13 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:15 pm

I used to live in Chicago as well and the banning of spray paint sales in the city proper was a brilliant piece of legislation. If only they could do the same for sharpies, at least for people riding the 'El' train. Which leads me to my question, I'm fascinated by the Santiago metro and how the inside of the trains are always tag free. I've been on trains in myriad countries and they always had some sort of graffiti, yet I never see any in the metro trains here. I've seen tags on the walls in the terminals, but not on the actual trains. How does Metro Santiago handle this? And considering their vigilance and success, how can we get them to handle things around the rest of the country??

My tangent (and some advice for Chilean cops maybe): When I lived in New Orleans, there were problems with not just graffiti, but with those low life fratboys who would come to town and urinate everywhere. We're talking in the doorways of shops and restaurants in the French Quarter. It really infuriated those of us who lived and worked there and had to use those doorways. So we had zero problem with the local cops getting creative. For a while, whenever they caught the little sh-ts pissing in public, they would stop them and explain to them about the $500 US fine for urinating in public. Payable immediately or you got sent to the drunk tank and got stuck there until your parents or whoever bailed you out. As you can imagine, most of these stupid kids freaked out at the thought of getting taken in.... this is when the cops would give them an alternative: Take your clothes off and clean up your mess. So alot of them did just that, they took their clothes off and cleaned up their piss. And when the cops said they could go, they would start to walk away with their soggy clothes in hand only to get stopped again. This time with a "Where do you think you're going like that? There's no walking around neked in this city. Mostly neked, maybe, but don't no one wanna see your skinny, neked, white ass. Put your clothes back on." And they would :D They'd walk all the way back to their hotels in their piss-soaked clothes. Good times.

Makes me wish the cops would do something about the amount of men who like to whip out in front of anyone, at anytime and pee all over the place. I have no problem with the stray dogs peeing everywhere, it doesn't stink the way drunken man pee stinks. I never thought much about it here, since I grew up seeing it. Wasn't a fan, but just chalked it up to the culture and bad breeding, just like the American Fratboys. But my boyfriend who's Canadian finds it particularly revolting. He's the first to admit, sometimes, well sometimes there are extenuating circumstances and when you've gotta go, you've gotta go. But here in Chile, it seems as if life is one long extenuating circumstance. We see men peeing against buildings a few times a week. And if He-who-can-stand-up-to-pee also finds it gross, then I am vindicated!

Anyhow, if the cops can't get a handle on the graffiti, then I somehow doubt the public urination issue is even on their radar...
Does anyone want a very sweet little puppy, she's vaccinated and fixed...

http://www.refinedhedonist.com

greg~judy

Post by greg~judy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:03 pm

NICE tangent audeo...!
:idea:
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

kixw52

Post by kixw52 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:41 am

Where to buy caps or valves for graffiti in Chile?
I need to know where they sell paint graffiti valves or get them in chile, hopefully in a vineyard but if you know tell me some company or store porfa