graffitti in Chile

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: graffitti in Chile

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon May 25, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm all for anyone who "commissions" some street art on their property, or having graffiti artists do some public places. I saw some amazing graffiti art in Santiago. But as other folks here point out, it's out of control and people who spend time and money on their homes don't appreciate some wild cartoon graffiti on their nice porticos and security shutters. And like I said, no one would ever give a pass to painting graffiti on cars...

MikeO...good idea for combating tagging. We have spray paint in Futaleufu, but any kid who got caught doing that would do the freaking WALK OF SHAME, right along with their parents. The goofy kid who got drunk at the rodeo and stole stuff from our truck were SHAMED by the community. It was worse than waiting for the court date...at which I might add that the judge asked Greg if we had any manual labour we would like the kid to do as punishment in addition to any restitution (there was none because the carabineros got it all back). Horribly embarrassing for the kid, and the family. In the end, small town that it is, Greg said an apology would be sufficient.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon May 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Laura55llc wrote:MikieO and Chuck are calling for...more regulation? :D
I totally missed that Laura! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Mon May 25, 2009 4:05 pm

So long as the installation of a device such as I propose doesn't attract regulation, no problem. But if it does, it might appear that the freedom to vandalize is more important than the protection of one's property. That, I have a problem with. Up in an Algarrobo condominio there's little to no tagging, down on the beach, things are different.
Come to think of it, if there was a bit of publicity drawn to the problem by installation of a few of these devices, maybe more would be done to combat it.
Vicious cycle I know but at the root is lack of respect for private or public property IMO of course :mrgreen: .
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Mon May 25, 2009 4:23 pm

MikieO wrote: And as for the "art" aspect, if it's been requested, fine but otherwise it's vandalism and should carry a mandatory 6 months on a cleanup crew and a big fine. We'll see how much disposable income they want to use on spray paint after that. :mrgreen:
Hey, not sayin' you're wrong...just saying that would require regulation. Denver, Colorado had a serious grafitti problem years ago and made laws saying it was mandatory for the homeowner to paint over the grafitti within a certain(don't remember) period of time-or the city will and the homeowner gets charged. It's impossible to catch all the taggers. They also added big fines when they did catch them. I would guess some of the seemingly lax attitude toward grafitti is Chileans don't really want the regulations. It will happen first in Santiago where they take the seat belt laws seriously.
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Mon May 25, 2009 4:34 pm

I think the grafitti is one reason you see the iron bars and gates in town. They're not easily tagged.
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Laura55llc wrote:MikieO and Chuck are calling for...more regulation? :D
Hmmm, seemingly contradicts my libertarian leanings, eh? :) Good point. But I wouldn't call it more regulation. In my scenario I'd call it well established, well known penalties for certain anti-social behaviors. If you do this.... this happens, every time. The current response/solution to graffiti is obviously not working. so, IMO, a better program is needed. In my last sentence of my previous post I say if people don't want to do anything about it, nothing will be done. Waiting for the Govt. to do something is apathetic. If an anti-graffiti program comes from the Govt. if may not be quite what people want, so citizen involvement should be a big part of it. In fact citizen involvement should the motivating part in it. In other words, if the people lead the government will follow.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm

I think the graffiti is one reason you see the iron bars and gates in town. They're not easily tagged.
I agree, one of the reasons why I'm encouraging my gardener to get the stone walls covered in ivy. Taggers don't want to "waste" paint on something that'll be gone in a week.
Chuck, Laura's "more regulation" statement made me think too.
The fact that I detest the surveillance cameras in London yet I will probably put a few up at the house to go with the noise device....a dilemma to be sure.
I just feel that the taggers are forcing these measures.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon May 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Chuck J 3.0 wrote: In other words, if the people lead the government will follow.
I like that, alot. Ordinary people have almost always found better solutions than government lackeys. Now, IF govt. Lackeys actually represented their constituency, then that would be a different thing, but it rarely ever happens. Real communities and community organizing usually create the best solutions. Just never seems to stay pure though, and people get elected and learn parlimentary proceedings and it all goes to hell in a hand basket! It's hard to keep it real with big media and advertising bombarment 24-7. John Prine says:

Blow up your T.V. throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own

p.s. Ivy or other vines...a great idea.

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Mon May 25, 2009 7:23 pm

If only people would lead...Bill Maher had a funny opinion article the other day about California. The geniuses there decided some years back that the people would vote for everything, make it a real people's democracy but then the people vote "yes" on spending for anything and "no" on taxes.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la- ... 4770.story

There's always a tradeoff-Eisenhower was largely responsible for the US Interstate Highway system and FDR(I believe) started the ball rolling. I'm sure that was controversial at the time(and could never have been done without federal funds) but I love the highway system in the US.

The stray dog problem is a dilemma too. If they created a Chilean dog pound, no doubt many Chileans would be upset when their pet(that they let run free, almost always without collars or tags) would have to be bailed out at the pound. And it would be creating a bureaucracy.

satellite

Post by satellite » Mon May 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Chicago got smart and doesn't sell spray paint anymore. If you have a DIY project, you have to go to the suburbs and few teenagers have the mobility and desire to cruise out to the suburbs to get a few cans to come back and tag an underpass.

It's a shame there are some gorgeous old buildings in Santiago with some ugly scars.

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Tue May 26, 2009 12:14 pm

satellite wrote:Chicago got smart and doesn't sell spray paint anymore. If you have a DIY project, you have to go to the suburbs and few teenagers have the mobility and desire to cruise out to the suburbs to get a few cans to come back and tag an underpass.

It's a shame there are some gorgeous old buildings in Santiago with some ugly scars.
Come to think of it, in Denver and the suburbs, the spray paint is locked in cases now. I agree that it's sad to see the graffiti on the old historical buildings in Santiago especially.

Chile2008

Post by Chile2008 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:11 pm

I have two pet peeves about Chile: The graffiti and the dogs. Otherwise, it's my paradise.
The best solution I can see is to "lock up" the spray paint and sell it to individuals over 18. It seems logical but, I don't think it would get a lot of support from shopkeepers. The other part would be to create and/or enforce laws against vandalism. This may be "too much" regulation for some on this forum but in my humble opinion, if government would put some teeth into the matter, people would be motivated to obey the law.