SCL airport begins to suck

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

SCL airport begins to suck

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:28 pm

OK, so no more temperature/humidity controlled duty free cigar rooms.

But I have noticed many other declines in service at the airport.

Immigrations: did they get rid of the separate citizen/resident line? Wasn't present when we arrived and had to cue with nearly 200 extranjeros.

Aduanas: these cluster 'ucks now seem more ruder and power tripping than ever. My past experiences were that they are strict but polite, cordial and even helpful/sympathetic if you argued your case properly. We had a duty free bag of goodies from Colombia that started spilling its contents on the floor upon exiting the X-ray machine on their side of the conveyer and not 10 feet away, five employees looked on without even raising a finger to help. We are very lucky nothing broke (including two expensive decorative Colombia mugs) EDIT 22/03: CLOSE EXAMINATION SHOWS THEY ARE CHIPPED, $30 USD DOWN THE DRAIN, WHAT BASTARDS!

Exiting the power-trippers: I mourn the loss of the left exit. Wish there would be more control over the congestion when exiting Aduanas.

Tur airport transfer bus: I now miss the old-style regular buses with luggage hold vs. the spanking shiny new double-decker jobber where you have to lift your bags up at the back entrance to get it onto the bus and then again to the person in the luggage hold area. Absolutely no control over the chaotic luggage in/out process as there are no receipts issued. Also confusing for an extranjero especially if they speak no castellano. The poor stressed driver now has to control both entrances, go around top and bottom to issue tickets and collect payment and then drive to and from the airport. But I expect nothing less from this company when I include my direct personal experiences with bus service and cargo reclamos. Same Chile shit, take a functional but gray colored system and replace it with something that appears flashy, new and modern but with worse service and claim victory.

TransVIP: still appears efficient to the airport but now chaotic from the airport. People have to sit or wait around outside while a stressed employee tries to organize the from the airport transfers. Again, could be confusing for an extranjero who doesn't speak castellano. I remember when you were attended to nearly the moment you exited the terminal after paying at the desk.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Gloria

Re: SCL airport begins to suck

Post by Gloria » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Welcome to Chile!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 pm

No shit.

I'll also add the national flagship LAN airlines does not police their boarding process in their home country. Coming and going I noticed the stark night and day difference with LAN Peru (order like from an old film on Nazi Germany). LAN Colombia was in-between (meaning LAN Chile was the most chaotic).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Hearing that there is now no left hand exit from customs is like learning there is no Santa Claus. :(

So the airport bus is a double decker? And what is the deal with Transvip?

I used to work at the airport in Lima. If it is no longer chaotic, that is a good thing. I have stories!

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Donnybrook wrote:Hearing that there is now no left hand exit from customs is like learning there is no Santa Claus. :(

So the airport bus is a double decker? And what is the deal with Transvip?

I used to work at the airport in Lima. If it is no longer chaotic, that is a good thing. I have stories!
My experience was only about the LAN boarding process. Lima staff mean it when they say seats 17-40 board at this time and no others and in this specified labelled line. SCL is a free for all.

TransVIP had around 12 or more already paid customers waiting to be taken care of in the cool morning while Delfus had no waiting passengers or many customers at all. Hmmm.

Yes, Tur airport bus has been new double deckers since at least early last year.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:08 pm

AA Admirals Club still OK (have to compete with LAN lounges in fact, the munchie spread was even better than a year ago) but they no longer have smuggleable water bottles to go (the power and awe of USA TSA :roll: ). I notice the Pacific VIP has expanded and looks quite nice looking in. Posting while consuming the triple distilled pisco….hic. Competition is a good thing!

--eeuunikkeiexpat

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 pm

So how are they arranging the food/drinks at the Admirals Club now? In December, one can sit on either side and have access to both food and drinks at the same side, but in January they move the food to one side and drinks to another side, making it very inconvenient for people who travel alone to go to both sides while still have to manage the laptop and personal belonging.
TP

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:37 pm

T_ROBO wrote:but in January they move the food to one side and drinks to another side, making it very inconvenient for people who travel alone to go to both sides while still have to manage the laptop and personal belonging.
TP
True, but I have no problems with that in exchange for a better food spread. I always lockdown my laptop and backpack in the computer room and then feel free to eat, drink, use the head, etc. till time to go.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

T_ROBO

Post by T_ROBO » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:53 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I notice the Pacific VIP has expanded and looks quite nice looking in. Posting while consuming the triple distilled pisco….hic. Competition is a good thing!
I tried the Salon VIP Pacific Club today, and the food is only so so (just cheese sandwiches, cookies, and cake). The drink section however is similar to that of the AA Admiral Club. The hot food is just chicken with potato and mayo :-)
TP

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:15 am

T_ROBO wrote:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I notice the Pacific VIP has expanded and looks quite nice looking in. Posting while consuming the triple distilled pisco….hic. Competition is a good thing!
I tried the Salon VIP Pacific Club today, and the food is only so so (just cheese sandwiches, cookies, and cake). The drink section however is similar to that of the AA Admiral Club. The hot food is just chicken with potato and mayo :-)
TP
Pacific VIP has never had hot food for the last 5 years, i have been going, thats in Punta arenas, puerto montt and santiago (both national, and international) must be a new thing... have they moved it with the new renovations of the airport?

The drinks however have always been good enough, my go to wine was viña mar and that is what is available!, the beer selection is a bit poor but good enough, spirits are good and as expected... No coke tho, only pepsi, im not a pepsi fan!

paladin

Post by paladin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm

I think that bearing in mind that the Pacific is completely free, there really is nothing to complain about. The others charge, and in my opinion, are a waste of money.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:13 pm

paladin wrote:I think that bearing in mind that the Pacific is completely free, there really is nothing to complain about. The others charge, and in my opinion, are a waste of money.
Depends on how much you drink :!: and eat vs. the prices outside the lounge. Not to mention hassle free banda ancha access and other amenities and a more tranquil preflight experience. The agents (assuming you are flying on the metal of the airline lounge you are in) can also work miracles if needed. The $50 AA one (buy it online and there is no IVA) is quite worth it for me for the previous reasons at SCL and the coffee and relaxation at DFW (included in the one-day pass SCL purchase) before boarding the flight to LAX.

--eeuunikkeiexpat