"Corruptible Argentina"

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
logantyler

Re: "Corruptible Argentina"

Post by logantyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:35 pm

I hope the people of Argentina can find a way to fix this problem. It is a beautiful country with beautiful people.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

"Argentina tiene Papa pero no tiene cura".

I wish I had thought of that.

MC1171611

Post by MC1171611 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:36 pm

World, take notice: if you want to screw your country up, do exactly like Ms. de Kirchner. Otherwise, do the exact opposite.

MC1171611

Post by MC1171611 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Strato Squirrel wrote:
MC1171611 wrote:World, take notice: if you want to screw your country up, do exactly like Ms. de Kirchner. Otherwise, do the exact opposite.
The "exact opposite" was the Argentine military government that ended in 1983.
Government is government, whether in a camouflage uniform or bureaucrat's suit. Nationalizing foreign-owned corporations and seizing retirement accounts is no different functionally from enacting martial law. Whether the gun is visible or implied, it's still government force.

So no, it's actually the exact same thing. It just has a different costume.

MC1171611

Post by MC1171611 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Strato Squirrel wrote:
MC1171611 wrote:So no, it's actually the exact same thing. It just has a different costume.
So then there is no "exact opposite" that you exhort them to do?

Or is it just that the Argentines are incapable of governing themselves?
There is a lowest common denominator with all forms of totalitarianism: government. Society's general concept of governance demands a powerful central authority, referred to as the State, defined by Rothbard as that organization which assumes a monopoly of legitimized violence over a specific geographical area. I suggest rethinking that concept.

john

Post by john » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 pm

MC1171611 wrote:
Strato Squirrel wrote:
MC1171611 wrote:So no, it's actually the exact same thing. It just has a different costume.
So then there is no "exact opposite" that you exhort them to do?

Or is it just that the Argentines are incapable of governing themselves?
There is a lowest common denominator with all forms of totalitarianism: government. Society's general concept of governance demands a powerful central authority, referred to as the State, defined by Rothbard as that organization which assumes a monopoly of legitimized violence over a specific geographical area. I suggest rethinking that concept.
Chomsky on libertarianism and Murray Rothbard

http://www.distantocean.com/2008/04/cho ... -libe.html
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

MC1171611

Post by MC1171611 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am

Strato Squirrel wrote:You still have no proposed how Argentina should govern itself, only that you see nothing so far that is suitable. That would leave them with anarchism. I think they tried that in the 1920s.
I doubt they tried actual anarchy. Generally, what people mean by "anarchy" is mob rule and chaos, which is generally a more apropos description of a total democracy.

I propose that the Argentineans, and everyone else, stop seeking to govern one another, and instead that each individual seeks to govern only himself. Usually, "governance" as you use the term means a violent, forcible system of State coercion, which is completely incompatible with liberty.

john, Chomsky had some things right, but he is simply wrong vis a vis his opinion on anarcho-capitalism, Rothbard, and true laissez-faire capitalism. Rothbard meticulously picked through history and found examples of libertarian and anarchist societies that worked, and then coalesced them into a blueprint for a peaceful, non-aggressive society. Of course, since that would destroy the power of the elites, that's why it's never been tried in a really visible sort of way. However, as Laissez-Faire Bookstore's Jeffrey Tucker points out, anarchy is all around us. It is the order brought out of chaos through voluntary action and mutual benefit that makes our world possible. Anarchy simply means "no ruler." I need no king to provide my meals, clothes, computers, internet, car, or anything else: I need self-interested, voluntarily-acting capitalists that want my money who will provide the goods and services that I require, all without the implicit violence of taxation, all through voluntary trade.

The State just gets in the way of that.