Margaret Thatcher, 1925-2013

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
Donnybrook

Re: Margaret Thatcher, 1925-2013

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:16 pm

I was never a fan of MT and was only marginally affected by any of her policies. However, I am surprised by some of the vitriol being slung about. A lot of these people look too young to have been alive when she was in office, although their parents may have had issue with her. The media is saying (thus increasing the possibility) that there will be demonstrations at her funeral. Is this any different than the antics of the Westboro Baptist Church? The thought of people demonstrating in any way at someone's funeral for religious/political/other reasons makes me feel slightly sick.

sailormikey

Post by sailormikey » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:17 pm

I feel your views on Thatcher are a little off. Go visit Durham in the North East of England and talk to the thousands of ex -Miners and shipyard workers...

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:48 pm

sailormikey wrote:I feel your views on Thatcher are a little off. Go visit Durham in the North East of England and talk to the thousands of ex -Miners and shipyard workers...
Not sure who you are addressing. Me? A previous post? I will assume me since mine is the last post before yours. If you read it you will see that I was not a fan but am not talking about my or anyone's views of Thatcher or her policies. It is the reaction to her death which I was commenting on and the possible disruption of her funeral. We probably disagree on whether that is an alright thing to do, which is fine. I am taking into account her government's policies and their effect on different parts of British society, good or bad. I simply do not think it is right to interfere with anyone's funeral. That is my point of view and you are, of course, welcome to yours.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
sailormikey wrote:
I feel your views on Thatcher are a little off.
Go visit Durham in the North East of England and
talk to the thousands of ex -Miners and shipyard workers...

...It is the reaction to her death which I was commenting on and the possible disruption of her funeral. We probably disagree on whether that is an alright thing to do, which is fine. I am taking into account her government's policies and their effect on different parts of British society, good or bad. I simply do not think it is right to interfere with anyone's funeral. ...
Margaret Thatcher and Misapplied Death Etiquette

The dictate that one 'not speak ill of the dead' is (at best) appropriate for private individuals, not influential public figures.
http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2 ... -etiquette

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:30 pm

No worries, when Jimmy Carter finally kicks off, I mean to be a complete tool about it. I'll get sloppy drunk, celebrate loudly and be even more annoying than usual. So enjoy this one while you can.

As to ship-builders and coal miners....they are akin to the now unemployed steel workers from my home town of Youngstown, Ohio. I have no pity for any of them. I grew up among the steel workers, I know how much they made, how little they worked and how thuggish they were willing to be to extort even more from their employers. No tears here, their lack of employment is just desserts.

John Hyre

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:37 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:
sailormikey wrote:
I feel your views on Thatcher are a little off.
Go visit Durham in the North East of England and
talk to the thousands of ex -Miners and shipyard workers...

...It is the reaction to her death which I was commenting on and the possible disruption of her funeral. We probably disagree on whether that is an alright thing to do, which is fine. I am taking into account her government's policies and their effect on different parts of British society, good or bad. I simply do not think it is right to interfere with anyone's funeral. ...
Margaret Thatcher and Misapplied Death Etiquette

The dictate that one 'not speak ill of the dead' is (at best) appropriate for private individuals, not influential public figures.
http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2 ... -etiquette
I was not talking about speaking ill of the dead but actually disrupting a funeral; physical rather than verbal manifestations. It seems to me no different than what the Westboro Baptist Church do at the funerals of strangers because of their manifested beliefs. Why is one alright and the other abhorrent? Or isn't it?

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Donnybrook wrote:I was never a fan of MT and was only marginally affected by any of her policies. However, I am surprised by some of the vitriol being slung about. A lot of these people look too young to have been alive when she was in office, although their parents may have had issue with her. The media is saying (thus increasing the possibility) that there will be demonstrations at her funeral. Is this any different than the antics of the Westboro Baptist Church? The thought of people demonstrating in any way at someone's funeral for religious/political/other reasons makes me feel slightly sick.

I agree that it is in poor form to protest Thatchers funeral, though I understand the anger over an eloborate State procession considering her devisive and destructive rule. And I do believe it is entirely different protesting such a display/funeral of a public figure vs. what WBC does when protesting the funerals of soldiers.

Edit to add: Abhorent to compare the two examples of funeral protests.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Disrupting a funeral for Thatcher or her equivalent on the Left is plain nasty. The WBC are vicious vermin, through and through.

Thatcher did relish the hatred of her opponents, she thought very little of them. I doubt the disruption would bother her. Tough Lady.

John Hyre

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:09 pm

JHyre wrote:Disrupting a funeral for Thatcher or her equivalent on the Left is plain nasty. The WBC are vicious vermin, through and through.

Thatcher did relish the hatred of her opponents, she thought very little of them. I doubt the disruption would bother her. Tough Lady.

John Hyre
So we agree that while you will be shitfaced and celebrating Carter's death, a disruption of his public funeral would be "nasty"?

:alien:

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:18 pm

We agree again. Strange day.

John Hyre

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45 pm

JHyre wrote:We agree again. Strange day.

John Hyre
I am taking a HOT bath. :lol:

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm

JHyre wrote:I grew up among the steel workers, I know how much they made, how little they worked and how thuggish they were willing to be to extort even more from their employers. No tears here, their lack of employment is just desserts.
John Hyre
IMHO, the more important point for any of them (e.g. steelworkers, miners, shipyard workers) is that they could have put it all in the past and moved on to other jobs and/or careers if they wished. This is true regardless of whether or not them losing their jobs was "fair" or "justified" or not.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.