Report from Argentina

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
nwdiver

Re: Report from Argentina

Post by nwdiver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Lazarus wrote:All this talk in the international press about tremendous new sources of petroleum in Argentina? The nationalisation/expropriation/theft of YPF as a way to turn around declining energy production in Argentina? They have a ways to go.

Argentina, not so long ago a net exporter of petroleum products, is looking as if it's going to have to import about US$ 15 billion worth in petroleum this year. That's 5 billion more than last year.

And the value of the Argie peso is declining rapidly, so it's going to be harder to pay for energy. Even with the hope for dollars coming in from agricultural exports, their foreign currency reserves are fading.

The Argie government expropriation of YPF did nothing to turn around falling production. Between January and February this year, petroleum production in Argentina fell 6.5 percent, according to data from their secretary of energy. Production of natural gas is off 7 percent. Given the low reliability of official Argie government statistics, things could be even worse than that.

Circling the drain, in so many ways.

Petroleum exploitation takes infrastructure which takes money which takes partners, these days big oil doesn’t loan money unless they are participating (and banks won’t lend money unless a big oil company is involved) and after the YPF scam no world class oil company would participate in Argielandia,................ well maybe the Venezuela’s National Oil Company but they can’t keep their own infrastructure from deteriorating.

So they have to do it all with home grown expertise........ that will be interesting .............wink/wink nudge/nudge ;) This will be the case of the rich friends of Queen Chrissie losing their shirts.
It's all about the wine.

the19trier

Post by the19trier » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 am

Do you always go to BA? Where do you stay there? I find B.A. a bit too big; maybe I just need to find a quiet part of B.A. like Pilar?
California South wrote:Just returned.. a conclusion and an observation:
1. It dawned on me on the flight home that I must escape Chile on a regular basis to have a decent meal, and Argentina has a tremendous assortment of quality restaurants. I've yet to have anything bad or even mediocre. Yes, yes, I know there are some good restaurants in Chile, but few and far between. Most of the recommended places are mediocre to good, not excellent, and if you walk in off the street to any establishment, you'll get bland and boring. This issue has been often discussed on this forum.
We've found sources for fresh meat/fish/veg etc, so usually prepare our own meals, but when I long for variety and elegance, off to Argentina we go.
Also (imho) Argie culture, art, history, music, architecture, etc, is much more colorful and interesting. It's a crying shame their politics are a regularly scheduled chaotic unstable mess. What a waste.

2. Sitting in Volta the other day (BA) I noticed a lot of motorcycle traffic interspersed with autos... not the mini bike/smaller bike types you see in Santiago, but substantial sized bikes. Is this just anecdotal?

Feliz y santa Pascua to those who observe.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 am

In case anyone is wondering who "el tuerto" is it refers to her late husband Nestor and the comment is spot on. Nestor was a politician and knew how to compromise. Cristina is stubborn and not as intelligent. But that has been obvious for a while.

It was the spokesperson for the Chilean government who wrote in an email Bachelet was a "nightmare" who left a lot of social programs undone.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 pm

In some parts of South America—Argentina included—calling a woman yegua is the equivalent of calling her a “bitch.”

-----------------------------------------------
What is life is but continuous unfulfilled desires.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Alan Garcia in Perú was known as Caballo Loco (his son as My Little Pony).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:37 pm

I think a better translation in this context, given the person it is referring to, would be "lazy eye" not "cross-eyed".

It is much funnier in Spanish anyway, because the whole conversation is much more politically incorrect (from an a Gringo point of view, but totally polite conversation in Latin American culture).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 am

ajoknoblauch wrote:The term for cross-eyed is "bizco," but my wife says "tuerto" could mean cross-eyed or wall-eyed, or that there was simply something wrong with one eye.
Not "turnio"?
Lazarus wrote:
ajoknoblauch wrote: There is a town in Buenos Aires province called Venado Tuerto, which I think clearly means "one-eyed.
A one-eyed what, they are all asking. A one-eyed deer?

And then in the Kirchners' home province we have the town of Pico Truncado..... so we have to wonder: did that have anything to do with Néstor being tuerto?
You wouldn't care to enlarge on this I suppose? :mrgreen: There is obviously something going on here, when even Wikipedia says: "The name of the town literally means one-eyed deer, and its origin is unknown, though several folk legends circulate around it. In any case, it was not considered tasteful by some.."
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

john

Post by john » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Lazarus wrote:
ajoknoblauch wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
ajoknoblauch wrote:I am no Kirchnerista - in fact, I probably share Pepe's view of the current government - but this deserves an apology.
Certainly opinions will be all over the board on this one. It's a reminder that those countries occupy some other universe in which their rules of civilised behaviour exist as curiously unrecognisable alternatives, outlandish even by Letrinamerican standards. When we consider Cristina's outrageous policies and actions, including recent moves very prejudicial to Uruguay on Argentina's (I mean, Kirchner's) part, many will think that a good slapdown is in order. And that is really what Argentina needs - a reminder that its rightful place in the cosmos is far short of the podium of its phenomenal arrogance.
This was no more acceptable than Chávez's calling Bush "Satanic" at the UN (though, if I thought Satan existed, I might have seen a lot of evidence for that). Personal attacks are inappropriate for countries that should being practicing diplomacy (I will acknowledge that the Kirchneristas don't care much about diplomacy, but that doesn't excuse the other party).
Mujica is perfect for the role. I think he spent, what, 15 years in jail? Perfect preparation to be president of Uruguay. He looks just like a former Tupamaro trying to figure out why the bottle is still empty. In the papers today he is far from apologising and back to commenting about Néstor. Quoting from El Clarín:

“El (por el ex presidente Tabaré Vázquez) no tuvo problemas con Argentina, tuvo problemas con El Tuerto Kirchner, que era bastante baboso. Dios lo tenga en la gloria”, manifestó. Las declaraciones del mandatario uruguayo salieron hoy en la revista mensual Lento.

Remember that these are not real countries. These are toy entities, corrupt and inept, 1/32-scale backwater demi-republics with tin badges and imported marble. Una mierda bañada en chocolate es todavía una mierda. We can't apply the norms of civilised behaviour to them, no matter how much they'd like to think of themselves as developed or First World. These antics that you describe correctly as inappropriate serve as constant reminders.
You should stick to proclamations about Chile (on which you are occasionally right) as you obviously know nothing about Uruguay's politic situation, either historically or currently. :roll:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:08 pm

ajoknoblauch wrote:Interesting and amusingly, a reader's letter in today's Buenos Aires Herald says I'm a CIA agent: http://www.buenosairesherald.com/articl ... /your-view
I concur with the trust of the reader's comments. However, I doubt that a nice guy like you would be a spook. :)
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 am

Lazarus wrote:
john wrote: You should stick to proclamations about Chile (on which you are occasionally right) as you obviously know nothing about Uruguay's politic situation, either historically or currently.

-------------

Poor john. Seems to actually believe that feel-good stuff in the guidebooks and the BBC.

Re: ¡Saludos de Uruguay!

admin wrote:Is it just me, or are we suddenly getting a lot of expat traffic from people bailing out of Uruguay? What the hell is going on over their to run the foreigners out?

Postby ExpatBob » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 am
ExpatBob wrote:
uruguayo wrote:ideologically indifferent government which sees crime almost as redistributive justice.
ever more bloated government workforce based mostly on political patronage.
poor quality goods and indifferent service at roughly 2 to 3 times the world market price.
a “cargo cult” mentality has taken hold that seeks to return Uruguay to the glory days of the 1930’s or 40’s
I could not have said it better!
I could not have said it better.
Sorry, a few anecdotal comments from disgruntled Uruguayans (or former ex-pat residents) and $3.75USD will get you a latte at Starbucks.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Lazarus wrote:
john wrote: and $3.75USD will get you a latte at Starbucks.
Still cheaper than the rose-tinted glasses.
Incorrigible as ever. :)
--- Bertrand Russell

California South

Post by California South » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Uruguay is barely behind the United States on Transparency International's Corruptions Perception Index
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not the Uy comparison, but that the US is "perceived" as transparent and low in corruption - what kind of sick joke is this index?!
Stultorum infinitus est numerus