Report from Argentina

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
HybridAmbassador

Re: Report from Argentina

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Now the Argentina living ExPats and mostly Gringos in general being hit with a foreign travel departure surcharge of 20%.!
When reserving the tickets from the major airlines, the Gringos complain about the 20% charges above the ticket prices. The Airliner responses back to them, we don't keep your 20%, Argie govmnt does, so take up with them..

In another note, the newly elected PM of Japan has pleadged to spruce up the economy by creating a 2% inflation over the next two years..Has ordered the newly also designated Bank of Japan's Honcho,Mr.Kuroda, which is the PM's ally to keep re-purchasing government bonds to the tune of US$ 10 Billion a month for the foreseeable future.!

I think it is cheaper for Japan to pay the 1st month allocation of Bond re-purchase money to the Argies instead in order to ask for the secret of how to create the super-inflation ongoing in Argentina right now.!..Heck, the Argies will teach Japan how to a meager 2% inflation hike but 25% instead..!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Lazarus wrote: As [FORBIDDEN WORD] might have said: Welcome to Argentina – the circus is always in town.
does the forbidden word start with the letter P?

California South

Post by California South » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Just returned.. a conclusion and an observation:
1. It dawned on me on the flight home that I must escape Chile on a regular basis to have a decent meal, and Argentina has a tremendous assortment of quality restaurants. I've yet to have anything bad or even mediocre. Yes, yes, I know there are some good restaurants in Chile, but few and far between. Most of the recommended places are mediocre to good, not excellent, and if you walk in off the street to any establishment, you'll get bland and boring. This issue has been often discussed on this forum.
We've found sources for fresh meat/fish/veg etc, so usually prepare our own meals, but when I long for variety and elegance, off to Argentina we go.
Also (imho) Argie culture, art, history, music, architecture, etc, is much more colorful and interesting. It's a crying shame their politics are a regularly scheduled chaotic unstable mess. What a waste.

2. Sitting in Volta the other day (BA) I noticed a lot of motorcycle traffic interspersed with autos... not the mini bike/smaller bike types you see in Santiago, but substantial sized bikes. Is this just anecdotal?

Feliz y santa Pascua to those who observe.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Life on the other side of the Andes:

http://bairesnews.blogspot.com/
Après moi, le déluge

California South

Post by California South » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 pm

A fascinating background story that also explains much and confirmed my instincts. The men I saw, and their bikes, were much different than what I'm used to seeing in Chile, esp in Stgo.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm not familiar with Argentina at all, this was an interesting perspective. I lived in Caracas recently, and there are also very many "motorizados", including "moto-taxis", and in fact one of the first impressions coming up to Caracas from the airport is the sheer wall of noise that hits you due to the bikes weaving between lanes and beeping the whole time to advise car drivers they're coming through. They are also responsible for many of the armed robberies, quite a few friends were relieved of their smartphones at gunpoint by these pests while talking as they were stopped in traffic.

This isn't a problem in BA?
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Lazarus wrote:
FrankPintor wrote:I'm not familiar with Argentina at all, this was an interesting perspective. I lived in Caracas recently, and there are also very many "motorizados", including "moto-taxis", and in fact one of the first impressions coming up to Caracas from the airport is the sheer wall of noise that hits you due to the bikes weaving between lanes and beeping the whole time to advise car drivers they're coming through. They are also responsible for many of the armed robberies, quite a few friends were relieved of their smartphones at gunpoint by these pests while talking as they were stopped in traffic.

Yes, robberies using motorcycles are a problem in Argentina and not just in Bs As.

Speaking of Caracas -- I seem to recall some weird rules in Venezuela when I was there in 1992. Something about full-face-coverage helmets were not permitted at the time,the better to allow identification of bike-mounted thieves, and curiously, at the time it was not permitted to have two males on the same bike -- because the modus was that the passenger jumped off and did the grabbing of things while the operator concentrated on the pickup and escape. Another law had to do with prohibition against carrying spare fuel containers on a bike. Are any of those laws still in effect?
I believe so, I haven't checked any published laws, but full-face helmets are not used. I also heard about the 2 x male law, but moto-taxis must have an exemption to this. Of course, as you know, traffic laws are not much enforced in Venezuela so having laws like that on the books doesn't mean a whole lot anyway.

California South

Post by California South » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 pm

FrankPintor wrote:I'm not familiar with Argentina at all, this was an interesting perspective. I lived in Caracas recently, and there are also very many "motorizados", including "moto-taxis", and in fact one of the first impressions coming up to Caracas from the airport is the sheer wall of noise that hits you due to the bikes weaving between lanes and beeping the whole time to advise car drivers they're coming through. They are also responsible for many of the armed robberies, quite a few friends were relieved of their smartphones at gunpoint by these pests while talking as they were stopped in traffic.

When we lived in Vz there sure were a lot of Italian surnames, which may explain the preponderance of motorcycles there also?

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:27 pm

California South wrote:

When we lived in Vz there sure were a lot of Italian surnames, which may explain the preponderance of motorcycles there also?
I'm not sure about a cultural aspect, there are certainly a lot of Italian surnames, also a lot of immigration from the Canary Islands, Portugal, and the middle east, Lebanon and Syria.

I thought the motorbikes were just an alternative to buying cars, which due to the crazy economics are more expensive second-hand than new (but you might a have a 1-2 year waiting list for a new car). In fact, shortly before I left, the government announced an initiative to chase down sellers of second-hand cars in mercadolibre and other sites, as people can't be allowed to demand whatever price they want for their cars :roll:

California South

Post by California South » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:52 pm

In fact, shortly before I left, the government announced an initiative to chase down sellers of second-hand cars in mercadolibre and other sites, as people can't be allowed to demand whatever price they want for their cars :roll:
Having lived there yourself, you know the Vz government mentality. Along the same lines, our favorite memory is when a few remaining taxpayers were demanding then Caldera do something, anything, about the outrageous number of carjacking/thefts in the western region (we personally knew 2 people affected), that were then taken across the Columbian border. The press reported that Caldera's regime said it would not be fair to stop the thefts, and asked how then would the thieves make a living?
You can't make this stuff up.

sweetbiscuit
Location: Brisbane...Santiago.... Vancouver....Brisbane (Australia)

Post by sweetbiscuit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:02 pm

Lazarus wrote:
At least you visited some of the places you wrote about. More than we can say for some of the Lonely Planet work by others.

One of the more publicised failures of Lumpy Planet (there are many):

http://www.gadling.com/2008/04/13/lonel ... ry-he-wro/
http://matadornetwork.com/bnt/lonely-pl ... -ohnstamm/

Most travel literature should be classified as some form of fiction.
I found it hilarious that when we started exploring Chile in 2008, the Lonley Planet had a decent entry on Quintay, and did not mention Algorrobo at all.

I always wondered if the author had ever visited the area - but I no longer have my LP Chile to check the Authors name, as it was such a piece of crap.
:?

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Not just Lonely Planet....

Ring, ring.
"Hello"
"Hi, my name is <crackle crackle> and I´m in town doing an update to the Rough Guide to Chile"
"Hi"
" I´d like to ask you a few questions, now has anything changed in your place since we reviewed you last?"
"Well yes, quite a lot, especially the prices. It has been over 10 years.."
"<Crackle crackle>"
"Hello, this is a really bad quality call"
"<Crackle> Skype <crackle>"
"Oh, its a Skype call, where are you calling from? Sounds like a long way away..."
"I´m actually here in town."
"You're in town and you can't come round to look at the place you are supposedly reviewing?"
"Sorry...<crackle> ...time... <crackle>"
<Hangup>
Après moi, le déluge