My Chile~Argie Mobile arrived, Now when the Journey

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
nwdiver

Re: My Chile~Argie Mobile arrived, Now when the Journey

Post by nwdiver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:21 pm

The Prius is built very aerodynamically, and very low to the ground with 5.5 inches clearance, which adds to its good gas mileage but as pointed out may be a little low for the roads outside of more developed countries. Maybe I see bigger wheels in your future.
Or:
Rav4 was 7.5 inches
Highlander 8.0 inches
Tacoma 9.0 inches
4 Runner 9.5 inches
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Gloria wrote:AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh............I can feel, sense and "touch" the LOVE in this thread. There is soooooooooo much LOVE that it could jump out of the screen and knock you right out of seat.
Hybrid-san....never mind what they all say or think about your nice gem. Do your own thing and enjoy yourself to the max. And if you are in a "jam" with it, I can always lend you my little Toyota Yaris Sport.!
Hey Gloria-san, nice to see that you are back posting. I haven't seen you in the forum lately thus always missing your good wits and spirited contents.! Yeah, even picalena made comment such as that I won't make down to Valdivia driving my Prius.!? Why is everyone over in Chile Asphyxiated in owning and driving a 4x4.? An urban legend in believing that you have to drive a SUV/Pick Up Truck and it has to be a 4x4 to go anywhere in Chile. I do appreciate you lending me your Yaris but it is not a 4x4 so I can not drive around Valdivia.! And your Yaris won't make the Andes pass, saz picalena..
Ooops, I take that back, my Prius won't make the climb..Over the Andes pass towards Mendoza.! Do you think is true that if Iam driving my Prius V wagon over there, I won't be able to make down south to the vecinity of Valdivia.? Please tell me this is not true.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

nwdiver wrote:The Prius is built very aerodynamically, and very low to the ground with 5.5 inches clearance, which adds to its good gas mileage but as pointed out may be a little low for the roads outside of more developed countries. Maybe I see bigger wheels in your future.
Or:
Rav4 was 7.5 inches
Highlander 8.0 inches
Tacoma 9.0 inches
4 Runner 9.5 inches
For a sedan wagonesque vehicle ground clearance is adequate at 5.7 inches, it is not a CUV/SUV nor a Pick Up Truck.
It belongs to the segment of passenger sedans. If I need higher ground clearance; I would go for the Toyota FJ cruiser, considered by the hard core 4 wheelin' enthusiasst to be the best mud-rock-snow conquering 4wd vehicle of their choice.
http://www.toyota.com/priusv/features.h ... /1245/1249

picalena

Post by picalena » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

I am going to channel Patagoniax, I hope he doesn't mind.

Welcome to Chile, here have an oil pan.

In 3 months.

After we have it imported from Japan.
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:55 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Hey Gloria-san, nice to see that you are back posting. I haven't seen you in the forum lately thus always missing your good wits and spirited contents.! Yeah, even picalena made comment such as that I won't make down to Valdivia driving my Prius.!? Why is everyone over in Chile Asphyxiated in owning and driving a 4x4.? An urban legend in believing that you have to drive a SUV/Pick Up Truck and it has to be a 4x4 to go anywhere in Chile. I do appreciate you lending me your Yaris but it is not a 4x4 so I can not drive around Valdivia.! And your Yaris won't make the Andes pass, saz picalena..
Ooops, I take that back, my Prius won't make the climb..Over the Andes pass towards Mendoza.! Do you think is true that if Iam driving my Prius V wagon over there, I won't be able to make down south to the vecinity of Valdivia.? Please tell me this is not true.!
But of course you will!!! You can go anywhere with it, don't let anybody tell you differently and since when do you care about what anyone says!!! The roads are in decent shape especially route 5.....pretty "shmoooooooth". The only thing I'm concern though is it may get stolen or vandalise......my advice to you is...." don't worry and be happy" :alien:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

john

Post by john » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 pm

ratbert wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: "Pig in a polk" what ever this means in your western interpretation.
Am I real slow here, or is this starting to sound like someone ?
Shush, MikieO is listening. :lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 am

As much as I dislike the Prius... If you have any doubt about what cars can do, I highly recommend that you all watch the latest two-part special of Top Gear, where they take station-wagon cars which they bought for 1500 pounds or less, and drive them on-and-off-road in Africa in search of the source of the Nile river. And if those old tired cars can make it, a new one certainly will do well even if it's considered a soccer-mom car. Don't forget that the Ford Focus was a rally champion, and its measurements are comparable to a Prius.
The adventures I had in my first car, a Yugo, which I got for free as scrap, would probably outdo most of the adventures that people have had in million-dollar safari adventure barges.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 pm

picalena wrote:I am going to channel Patagoniax, I hope he doesn't mind.

Welcome to Chile, here have an oil pan.

In 3 months.

After we have it imported from Japan.
Thanks for the welcome.! No need for an Oil pan, Iam a super-good driver, can dodge the potholes...
Toyota parts available in 24 hrs here in the states, no need to wait import from abroad.
pl, do you own a vehicle.? if not, not even qualified to comment about travelling in Chile by own car.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: Oh and if I like what I see, I might settle there. No need to ship car back,I already have a _buyer in Paraguay. My buyer saz that no need to worry he will pay me in US Dollars, he will pay me dearly so with the receipt, I can buy me a SA version Prius there or, just take the money back to the states if I don't like it.
Now that could be interesting, better look at those US bills very carefully . . . :mrgreen: .

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm

gringalais wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: Oh and if I like what I see, I might settle there. No need to ship car back,I already have a _buyer in Paraguay. My buyer saz that no need to worry he will pay me in US Dollars, he will pay me dearly so with the receipt, I can buy me a SA version Prius there or, just take the money back to the states if I don't like it.
Now that could be interesting, better look at those US bills very carefully . . . :mrgreen: .
Not to worry about the fake Dollar bills..I already made reservation to buy one of those Bill Scanners with infrared sensor and all,while in _Argentina.!

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm

PEOPLE! you are all so fucking negative that it's no funny!! You are knocking this man down to no avail! He has been nothing but polite and open to everyone and what you are all doing?...beating the shit out of him because he bought a gem...with HIS money!! Why don't you all take a step back and let him find out for himself about the roads. You are all have become so chilean..... green of envy and jelaously. Dammit!! LIVE AND LET LIVE!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Gloria wrote:PEOPLE! you are all so fucking negative that it's no funny!! You are knocking this man down to no avail! He has been nothing but polite and open to everyone and what you are all doing?...beating the shit out of him because he bought a gem...with HIS money!! Why don't you all take a step back and let him find out for himself about the roads. You are all have become so chilean..... green of envy and jelaously. Dammit!! LIVE AND LET LIVE!
Gloria-San, Thank you but I can take the critiques to a certain level and still can endure.. One thing though, I also talk to a lot of people in the Argentinas ex-pats forums. There it seems to me, the populace living there are much relaxed and taking things as it comes,laid-back style. So I have noticed the ex-pats living in these two neoghbouring countries posses a very different characters all together, It seems that the majority of the Chilean living Gringos are more right on the points but more of merciless souls,very uptight and it almost feels as if they are living in Chile 'cause no where to go but there, and some of them Welcomes you with a sinister sarcasms to the new arrivings to this forum I perceive.

Thus many new visitors does not want to stay too long to the point to never coming back.. The Argentinean Ex-pats they also being Anglosaxons too but more relaxed to my perception. Oh well, one enters the door and be prepared to be greeted by alot of harsh critiques..Iam not so new to the forum per-se, I'am already approaching a full year since joining this very informative forum but still being critiqued every each step with sarcasm and cynicism but sometimes,.....darn lost in the translation,what was the word, where is the diccionary..