My Chile~Argie Mobile arrived, Now when the Journey

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
nwdiver

Re: My Chile~Argie Mobile arrived, Now when the Journey

Post by nwdiver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Also the suspension on ralley cars is totally different, they take the cars up to 12+ inches and cut out the wheel wells giving the wheels greater travel. My issue with new designed gas efficient cars is the low clearance for their aerodynamics, its great on the great paving in Canada and the US but even the cobbled street of Europe give the cars trouble.
It's all about the wine.

john

Post by john » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Gloria wrote:PEOPLE! you are all so fucking negative that it's no funny!! You are knocking this man down to no avail! He has been nothing but polite and open to everyone and what you are all doing?...beating the shit out of him because he bought a gem...with HIS money!! Why don't you all take a step back and let him find out for himself about the roads. You are all have become so chilean..... green of envy and jelaously. Dammit!! LIVE AND LET LIVE!
Gloria-San, Thank you but I can take the critiques to a certain level and still can endure.. One thing though, I also talk to a lot of people in the Argentinas ex-pats forums. There it seems to me, the populace living there are much relaxed and taking things as it comes,laid-back style. So I have noticed the ex-pats living in these two neoghbouring countries posses a very different characters all together, It seems that the majority of the Chilean living Gringos are more right on the points but more of merciless souls,very uptight and it almost feels as if they are living in Chile 'cause no where to go but there, and some of them Welcomes you with a sinister sarcasms to the new arrivings to this forum I perceive.

Thus many new visitors does not want to stay too long to the point to never coming back.. The Argentinean Ex-pats they also being Anglosaxons too but more relaxed to my perception. Oh well, one enters the door and be prepared to be greeted by alot of harsh critiques..Iam not so new to the forum per-se, I'am already approaching a full year since joining this very informative forum but still being critiqued every each step with sarcasm and cynicism but sometimes,.....darn lost in the translation,what was the word, where is the diccionary..
Rickey-san,

As Gloria said, there has been too much negative criticism, and lack of sensitivity, directed to your purchase of the Prius V. While there's nothing wrong with providing constructive criticism, some of the responses (given the fact that you have already purchased the car) could have been of a more helpful nature.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:20 pm

john wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Gloria wrote:PEOPLE! you are all so fucking negative that it's no funny!! You are knocking this man down to no avail! He has been nothing but polite and open to everyone and what you are all doing?...beating the shit out of him because he bought a gem...with HIS money!! Why don't you all take a step back and let him find out for himself about the roads. You are all have become so chilean..... green of envy and jelaously. Dammit!! LIVE AND LET LIVE!
Gloria-San, Thank you but I can take the critiques to a certain level and still can endure.. One thing though, I also talk to a lot of people in the Argentinas ex-pats forums. There it seems to me, the populace living there are much relaxed and taking things as it comes,laid-back style. So I have noticed the ex-pats living in these two neoghbouring countries posses a very different characters all together, It seems that the majority of the Chilean living Gringos are more right on the points but more of merciless souls,very uptight and it almost feels as if they are living in Chile 'cause no where to go but there, and some of them Welcomes you with a sinister sarcasms to the new arrivings to this forum I perceive.

Thus many new visitors does not want to stay too long to the point to never coming back.. The Argentinean Ex-pats they also being Anglosaxons too but more relaxed to my perception. Oh well, one enters the door and be prepared to be greeted by alot of harsh critiques..Iam not so new to the forum per-se, I'am already approaching a full year since joining this very informative forum but still being critiqued every each step with sarcasm and cynicism but sometimes,.....darn lost in the translation,what was the word, where is the diccionary..
Rickey-san,

As Gloria said, there has been too much negative criticism, and lack of sensitivity, directed to your purchase of the Prius V. While there's nothing wrong with providing constructive criticism, some of the responses (given the fact that you have already purchased the car) could have been of a more helpful nature.
Hello john-san, Thank you for your comment. However, now more inquisitive as to find the answer as to why the Argentinean living ex-pats are more enternaining than the some ex-pat Gringos living in Chile.? Thinking of it, some comment from the Chile ex-pats is bording close to being racist sometimes, by bringing or mentioning the origin of ones nationality...It is very hard to figure if they the one not too kind to the forums new - comers belong to the Neanderthal Man or are they really Anglosaxons.? The Anglos that I know all over the world, are most kind and generous to the Extranjeros. Perhaps, I should forget all about Schiile~Land and go elsewhere, to perhaps Argentina..?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:46 pm

ratbert wrote:This reminds me of buying an unsupported-model limited-capability car and then figuring out what few places you might be able to go with it, rather than figuring out where you were going and then determining the most suitable conveyance.

OP has participated long enough to know what sorts of vehicles are suitable for the range of conditions here, and he knows that his choice set severe restrictions on local utility and supportability.

Bad choices should be met with ridicule, else we continue making them.

OH WAIT WE HAVE TO BE SENSITIVE AND NOT CRITICISE OVERT AND DELIBERATE FOOLISHNESS AND BAD DECISIONS MADE IN THE FACE OF AN OVERWHELMING BODY OF ADVICE TO THE CONTRARY.
Oh Men, do I miss the Old Patagoniax even..Sometimes I believe, this persona has double character, one is very polite and invites me to his region and be honoured to meet me, the other one. keep posting not too hilarious comments about my choice of vehicle purchased. Like I said it many times over, Iam not going four wheelin'..I will be traversing the asphalted portions of the panamericana plus other highways of SA.
an unsupported-model limited-capability car
Limited capability, Yes. Like any 2 wheel drive sedans sold over there. _Unsupported model, you are quite correct._ However Toyota Chile sells them so the Argentina Toyotas too, the Toyota Hybrid Synergy-drive powered vehicle does not need such an extensive maintanance to keep it running as the regular otto-cycle internal combustioned powered vehicle.

The electronics has been tried and tried in the real road, in real harsh driving manner and tested by its owners for combined vehicle sold of more than 3 miilion units since its inception, circa 1997..Publication all over the world saz, most reliable vehicle of them all..I know a taxi business owner, his 2004 Prius has more than 700.000 miles on the Odo (1.120.000 km,) The expenditures necessitated to keep it running: Sets of tires, many to date. Sets of brakes x 2, transaxle lubricants needs to be flushed from time to time. The inverter coolant has to be replaced every 120k miles or there abouts. In reality, it needs 90% less maintanances than the regular powered vehicle..I own "three" my 4th one this time around,Iam going to the bank always laughing with the money that I save by owning and driving my Hybrid vehicles.! And when the Fuel cell vehicles becomes available, I will be one of the Pioneers to make my plunges again.. You are an Engineer, aren't you? Why can't you accept the supremacy of the Hybrid vehicles mechanicals vs the Otto cycled powered vehicle..Oh well, differs to be different...

picalena

Post by picalena » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Gloria-san, you are correct, as always. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: From now nothing but sunshine and rainbows. 8) :lol: 8)

HA-san - your vehicle is awesome and will be perfect for your trip. Xoom is a very reliable and great way to get money into Argentina, I have never heard of any problems with it. And you are right, I don't own a car in Chile and in fact have never lived in Chile or Argentina and don't even know where they are, so it is silly for me to say anything about either of them. Please forgive me, and have a great time. I know some people that are American ex-pats that are selling some great vineyards in Mendoza, so if you like Mendoza, let me know and I will hook you up with them, since buying vineyards in Argentina right now is a truly can't-miss-it type of investment.

Also, HA-san, please keep us up to date on your adventures! When are you coming to SA? Soon, I hope!

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm

picalena wrote:Gloria-san, you are correct, as always. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: From now nothing but sunshine and rainbows. 8) :lol: 8)

HA-san - your vehicle is awesome and will be perfect for your trip. Xoom is a very reliable and great way to get money into Argentina, I have never heard of any problems with it. And you are right, I don't own a car in Chile and in fact have never lived in Chile or Argentina and don't even know where they are, so it is silly for me to say anything about either of them. Please forgive me, and have a great time. I know some people that are American ex-pats that are selling some great vineyards in Mendoza, so if you like Mendoza, let me know and I will hook you up with them, since buying vineyards in Argentina right now is a truly can't-miss-it type of investment.

Also, HA-san, please keep us up to date on your adventures! When are you coming to SA? Soon, I hope!

pl
Ahhhhh...Picaleña.......your answer is loaded with sarcasm and bullshit. As my signature says: I'm from the generation of common sense and wisdom- so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining! :mrgreen:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:10 pm

picalena wrote:Gloria-san, you are correct, as always. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: From now nothing but sunshine and rainbows. 8) :lol: 8)

pl
So this means I can call you, picalena-san.? or should I omitt the "San" when answering to your post as meaning respect.? Mendoza winery..? Not for me,Especially coming from you..May get taken to the cleaners.!, rather wanting to buy a small piece of land and plant exotic veggies and fruits plus my home in either Chile or Argentina.

But for the starter, this is it..! It may not work in the Atlantic ocean side of Argentina though..

The _Avant-Garde_ Sushi concessions am I talkin' about.! Offer them cheapely to the owe inspired patrons, when they see these deliciosly prepared morsels going around their eyes, errgh, noses it must be salivating to satisfy their palate.!
The Schhileans has never seen and tasted such fresh and delicious Sea Foods full of glutamine acids that their coast can yield..
https://www.google.com/search?q=kaiten+ ... 58&bih=597

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:16 pm

ratbert wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: However Toyota Chile sells them so the Argentina Toyotas too, the Toyota Hybrid Synergy-drive powered vehicle does not need such an extensive maintanance to keep it running as the regular otto-cycle internal combustioned powered vehicle...
HA-sama, we have tried to introduce your persona to the realities of things in Argentina. Just because something is SOLD in Argentina does not mean it is SUPPORTED logistically in Argentina (or in Chile, for that matter). Case in point is the Hilux. Argentina has made almost all the Hilux sold in the Southern Cone for years, and of course that means in ... Argentina, where they are, um...made. But many Hilux components are not made in Argentina.

So even though the assembled vehicle is sold in Argentina, it is now very difficult to get many of the spare/replacement parts for the Toyota Hilux in much of Argentina. Because Argentina is circling the drain right now and making parts importation very difficult and expensive. And the Hilux is a big seller in Argentina. And Argentina thinks that the oilfields of Sta Cruz province are pretty important to the country, and there are hundreds and hundreds of Hilux out there in the oilfields and in Sta Cruz province you just try getting the cover for the air filter for a 4x4 diesel Hilux right now. Don't ask me how I know this.

Now I think you are trying to convince yourself that a new-type hybrid vehicle that is not even made in Argentina is going to be supported logistically in Argentina???? Where do you get these ideas? And then remember you are... what?.... going to drive down to the Southern Cone? Through backwater demi-countries that can't even spell "Toyota" or "smooth pavement" ? And so when something breaks or is stolen or when your hybrid baby falls into the bomb-cratered roads outside of Tapachula or San Fernando de los Badenes, who ya gonna call? At some point you are going to need to feed those illusions some oxygen.
ratbert-san, Once again you are too intelligent for your own good sake.You are missing my point. The prius is no diffrent than the regular Corollas or Yaris in its driving/manueuvering performances. We are talking of its reliability and dependability.
Iam trying to manifest here that the Hybrid power-train is more reliable than the regular gas or diesel power plant motived vehicle that Toyota produces. So I don't see the need to get supported, it won't break down due to malfunctioning of its core parts or devices and thus stopping. However,the road hazard that I might encounter over in SA highways could mean all different scenario for the vehicle. Yes, the under carriage parts such as the steering,suspension,brake lines etc. may need replaced but those components are commonality among all Toyotas here. We use very extensive cross-parts using amongst all models carrying the Toyota or Lexus badged vehicles. So there is nothing excentric parts in the assembly of a Prius, we use some parts from the Yaris and others from The Corollas, or Auris or whatever the model. So I can procure the parts if needed there in SA from the Dealers in Chile 'cause there is no restrictions of export-import as in Argentina right now.Now the E-CVT ( electronic controlled variable ratio transmission ) aka, the Transmission or the Power-Splitting device, may need to be imported from Japan or the USoA. But hard for me to imagine I would be needing one. The other devise very essential to running the Synergy power drive and its sytem is the Power elecric inverter, but that part is located well on top right next to the valve cover..These two devises are worth enduring over a million miles of use...So if you tellin' me that the Corollas or the Auris or even the Yaris can not travel in the asphalted highways of SA, then I have to reconsider bringing in my Prius and buy one Hi-Lux pick up in Toyota Argentina at whole-sale level of dealin' to me and use it in Chile~Argentina.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 pm

So you bought a model for the North American market. It is quite possible that some critical components might be unique to the North American market and not available in CL and AR. And even if the parts are indeed common to both market areas, a vehicle type that has low market density (very few exist in the market region) is very unlikely to have limited spares in these backwater countries.
ratbert-san, once again thank you for your concerns but the parts used to assemble the Prius is from the global vehicle platform and standard for Toyota/Lexus vehicles. We use the parts commonality scheme, we enginner our Toyota/Lexus vehicles parts with heavy duty stress absorbing design so not to classify each parts to a different vehicle. Yaris, Corolls,Auris etc.etc. uses the parts as same. Some parts are perhaps, _over Engineered_ but that is good for the folks whom own these marques. Critical components, the Hybrid Power Train parts ad accessories, its durability to the "Millionth Kms" So no worries there, we have done our home work _Our motto, Continuous improvement for excellence_.._A relentless pursuit for durability and reliability... The Toyota's way..So I can procure the "under carriage parts" from the Yaris, Corollas, Auris sold there..those parts mentioned above might get damaged from bad or poor road conditions of SA and may need to be replaced, and any Monkey with a wrench can master these parts replacing job. Probably,I can do the job myself lend me some tools. I can be a very good Mechanic too, whenever I feel to get my hands dirty but when the needs arises then I have got to do it myself.
You should ask about the Toyota Hybrid vehicle reliability to our Chile resident, (nwdiver-san). He owns a Toyota Hybrid SUV called the Highlander Hybrid currently being in use in Chile's southern region, I believe. I hear no report from him of any break-down of his Hybrid vehicle..

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 pm

ratbert wrote:HA-sama-

Did this ever get addressed and fixed? And what was the fix if any?

----------

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Thursday opened up a formal investigation into brake issues reported in the popular 2010 Toyota (US:tm) Prius hybrid. Federal regulators said they have received 124 complaints from drivers claiming the Prius suffers "momentary reduction in braking performance" when traveling on rough roads. There have been four crashes relating to the problem, two of which have resulted in minor injuries, according to NHTSA.
Yesterday news: Now you start sounding as one of safety advocates.? Ralph Nader students were you ? Nah, I don't think so. If it is unsafe, I wouldn't risk my life driving the Hybrid vehicles, I own a few myself..
The Toyota/Lexus Hybrid vehicles uses regeneration braking; Every time you step on the brake pedal, the elctric motors with-in the Power Split devise engages in order to capture the normally _wasted as heat,that as regenerated energy to be used in the next modus operandi,as braking, in this case the Hybrids. It was "flavoured" by the Engineer to keep it in electric recharging mode before converting to the normal hydraulic friction braking, thus momentariry keeping the electric regen mode a "second" more. But a few sensitive drivers complained that while lightly touching the brake pedals, right before stopping, they felt a lag. It is just a matter of "Down-loading" a function code to correct the matter.
It requiered to the complaining drivers to bring their Prius in for a software upgrade, it only takes a few minutes to down load the appropriate codes up loaded to the car's on board computers or, the OBC units. Also the "rough roads symptom" is the way _traction stability control_ mode was set up. Also a fast down load of the program resolved the matter. So thank you for informing me about these past issues..

I could send you a link to the inner-Engineering know-how of the Toyota Hybrid system but since you are so keen on and being obfuscated with the mundane Auto-Technology knownst to you, the regular Automobile,I won't bother to do so..It seems as if you are anti-Hybrids, You have ever said anything positive about my Hybrid enthusiasm. So far I can only perceive negative comments for my expected trip across Chile~Argentina from you.
I wished my English is better so to comunicate with such an intelligent person as you are much more in depth. So do forgive my limited knowleadge of english vocabulary,this is the best I can do at this time. Perhaps if done in Nihongo, easier for me.! Care to challenge.?