Cousin has gone missing in Chilie

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Aysen

Re: Cousin has gone missing in Chilie

Post by Aysen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm

I live in the Aysen area, Sunday I saw over 25 backpackers between Puerto Aysen and Puerto Cisnes. With that much traffic I doubt something serious would happen without someone noticing. If you could send a picture I could pass it around. Have you contacted the local police (carabineros)?

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Aysen wrote:I live in the Aysen area, Sunday I saw over 25 backpackers between Puerto Aysen and Puerto Cisnes. With that much traffic I doubt something serious would happen without someone noticing. If you could send a picture I could pass it around. Have you contacted the local police (carabineros)?
I believe my aunt and uncle have contacted the local police in the area, here is the link again to his picture and info http://imgur.com/OZtPqyx, thanks for your help!

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:I am not anybody..and I am not there right now, .but there must be boots o the ground in that area, beginning from Puerto Montt South. Please post a photo of your cousing and hs itinerary. Also, Nicolas LaPenna is a guide from Chaiten, who knows a whole network of folks from north to south, I think he has Chaiturs, so if anyone has his website and email, he would be an excellent source for getting this info out.
Hi there, thanks for your suggestions, there is a link to a picture in my op, but here it is again http://imgur.com/OZtPqyx. I'm working on getting a copy of his itinerary as we speak.

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Brandonb wrote:
Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:I am not anybody..and I am not there right now, .but there must be boots o the ground in that area, beginning from Puerto Montt South. Please post a photo of your cousing and hs itinerary. Also, Nicolas LaPenna is a guide from Chaiten, who knows a whole network of folks from north to south, I think he has Chaiturs, so if anyone has his website and email, he would be an excellent source for getting this info out.
Hi there, thanks for your suggestions, there is a link to a picture in my op, but here it is again http://imgur.com/OZtPqyx. I'm working on getting a copy of his itinerary as we speak.
No dice on the itenerary, however his last plans as follows "were last contact with him he was in puerto Montt. He left there on the 31st. He would have begun route on austral highway heading toward Hornoparin. That town is full service and has Internet. He well could have contacted us from there"

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm

So Puerto Montt is the p,ace to start, right? But it is possible, even though at PM there are many places to get internet and cell signals, he did get on the boat south. He may have landed at Chaiten, so Nicolas LaPena would be a good contact.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm

http://www.chaitur.com/index_en.htm

Nicholas La Penna
nchaitur@hotmail.com
Office: O´Higgins 67 / Bus Station Chaiten X Region
Mobile Phone 56+9+74685608 -Land Line (065) 731429.

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 am

Update

So far some real work has been done, James's picture is circulating around the police there (or carabineros so I'm told), so we are pretty sure he wasn't picked up for hitch hiking. A huge thanks to everyone who's been circulating his picture through expat and hiking groups, it means the world to us. Right now we are hoping that this is just a case of miss communication, and James hooked up with a different group of hikers but has been unable to contact us yet. Other than getting his info to everyone we can, my Uncle and other cousin have gotten on a flight to Chile, to get there boots on the ground and start looking. Also, the last expat my cousin was staying with, Rodger, has informed us that he did a radio spot for James's whereabouts, which is amazing. Thank you to everyone who has been taking time out of there day to hope/pray for James's safety, and help here with suggestions and resources, your kindness is legendary. I will continue to update as we receive more information.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 am

the post from mum....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=2298405

looks like week 2 will be tomorrow...

I think and hope your going to find the reason is he is just out of coverage in the area!

Brandonb

Post by Brandonb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 am

zer0nz wrote:the post from mum....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=2298405

looks like week 2 will be tomorrow...

I think and hope your going to find the reason is he is just out of coverage in the area!
Thats awesome, i didn't know she made a post there, every time i tried to log into that site but it wouldn't load for me. Thanks!

Andres

Post by Andres » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:23 am

admin wrote:Tell you what. Do you have a passport number for him? a photo copy of the information page of his passport would be ideal.

Send me an email through the site at the bottom of my signature and I will see if our contacts at the PDI can find out if he left the country or not. No promises, but will give it a shot.
<removed by admin at request of the family>
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:42 am

If he's a backpacker he might be active on couchsurfing.org.

Have you tried posting there?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am

Thoughts and questions.

The U.S. embassy staff could not find one of their own in their own broom closet at the embassy in Santiago, and likely will not do anything more than is absolutely required to keep them from being sued personally. Don't expect anything from them.

O.k. some mention that you contacted the "local" police, but did you contact the PDI (chilean FBI)? They are also the boarder police and have more investigative resources and powers than the local police in Chile. They operate the immigration computer systems that he must register at as he leaves and enters the country. That said, in the smaller crossings in the Patagonia it is not unusual for an exit or entry to the country to not be recorded correctly. It is also totally possible to go on a day hike, and end up inside Argentina without even really knowing it. GPS is flaky at best, because it often depends on very old outdated sat maps of the south of Chile to determine exactly where you are at using the coordinates.

You also need to appreciate how transport works in the Patagonia.

Now, if he made it out of Puerto Montt, most likely it was on a ferry (via Horno ) from the sounds of it, the ferries companies typically record the passenger lists and their passport numbers with the port authority before leaving port.

SPOT depends on sat coverage, and the Patagonia has big holes in the Sat coverage because of how far south it is. I could still see him spending a week or two in a nice valley, where the mountains are so high that it blocks the SPOT signal to the sats. If his SPOT alert system was setting up regular OK signals, where was the last one recorded?

Still, two weeks out of contact, my inclination is that he simply suffering from patagonia logistics and communication. Him not reaching a certain place at a certain date is totally common in the Patagonia, and people that have no experience with just how slow things move (or don't move at all), often fail to schedule for it. Getting from Puerto Montt to where you said he was suppose to have a reservation overland, could be a real push in the summer months with the crowds, especially if you are spending even more than a little time enjoying the view. 2-3 days, in a hurry, and knowing what you are doing, what bus to catch, ferry, and so on would be the minimum. A week at least would be more likely. If he stops to take some side trips, say up to Futa or off in to the parks or something, add another week or two easily. So, I would still put him more in the late category than missing category at 2 weeks.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.