Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Ripsigg

Re: Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for grin

Post by Ripsigg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:49 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
zer0nz wrote:dont trust a person on a forum who doesnt live in chile
:lol:
Both Ripp and the target resemble that comment.

Everything I've read on four pages could be called general living abroad advice. For the last 17 years, I've been living in Latin America and Asia and everywhere I go, it's the same general things to be aware of. I'll see you in July, but I hope you're not upset that I won't trust you with my life savings to invest in a cooperative community of sovereign citizens making blankets for the impending ice age, no matter how good of an investment you say it is.

I better add this or people might think you really are selling investments in that blanket community.... :alien:

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:03 am

Estimado Don Rip:

I see the green alien and I stress that my original reply was not meant as criticism of you in any way :alien:

and I too would not trust you for an investment no matter what ... :P

I've been here 11+ years and I did it on my own, no biz partnerships (except for when I got slightly scammed by another USA expat for a low dollar amount for a tourist venture in the south), NO ALLCHILE FORUM to get me started, etc., and I've seen a lot of expats come and go, even ones that should have made it because of their "connections" and outstanding language ability vs. my still shitty chileno and essentially solo existence.

My LT observation for Chile is one of STAYING POWER. And if you are male,

(1) Finding the right native mate will make a GIGANTIC DIFFERENCE in that along with
(2) Taking it slow

and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER assume Chile is like the other countries of Latin/South America ...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:06 am

sandrab wrote:Do not assume that Chile is a cheap place to live, or that you will learn Spanish when you arrive.
Well, maybe one or the other (better be good at the other), but not both :-).

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 am

Some of us live COMFORTABLY under $850 USD at the current CLP/USD exchange rate. It is a matter of choice and strategy more than anything. YMMV.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Andres

Post by Andres » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:It is a matter of choice and strategy more than anything. YMMV.
I agree with that. My strategy (of starting out in a relationship, with kids and expecting to easily start a business) was flawed.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:08 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER assume Chile is like the other countries of Latin/South America ...
I think that holds up for every country. Never assume the country you are in is like other countries in the region. I expect that you'll fill me on some details in person in July. :mrgreen:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Some of us live COMFORTABLY under $850 USD at the current CLP/USD exchange rate. It is a matter of choice and strategy more than anything. YMMV.
I think this would be a good topic for another thread. I don't want to hijack this one, but I'd love to hear your strategies because I think it's possible in most countries to live on less than $1000 a month, if you really want to.

cali_chile48

Post by cali_chile48 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:26 am

Don´t assume that "yes" means "yes"...especially if it is phrased like this, "yes, i can help", or "yes, I have the correct information for you" and ESPECIALLY if it is phrased like this " yes, i know someone who can help you". Chileans seem to have a phobia about saying "no". I think that they often genuinely want to be helpful, so they say "yes",,,and then they send the wrong way with contact information to someone who is even less capable (which is hard to imagine sometimes), all with the best of intentions, of course.

check, double check, triple check anything that is really important...stuff like visas, driver's licenses, business licenses, contracted labor, car repairs, work contracts, directions to a hospital, medical advice, what kind of cat food is best, where to find peanut butter...basically everything.

Two sayings apply in CAPITAL letters here in Chile.....

SEEING IS BELIEVING

and

FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU. FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 am

Everything mentioned so far is pretty much standard for any South American country.

On the up side, although there is a lot of paperwork when you arrive, the system does actually work and you don't have to bribe anyone to make it do so.

Specifically for Chile, I would say be prepared for a more difficult time making local friends than in other places. It isn't that they are unfriendly, but they tend to cluster their world in clans: family, school friends, uni friends, partner's family etc. You won't slot easily into one of the groups. Most of my Chilean friends have just added us to one of their groups, usually family. But it can take time and an imaginative local to find room in their social life to fit you in. This problem is slightly less in Santiago - there are many Chileans living here who are originally from somewhere else - and slightly more difficult if you are living in a small community. EEUU has described the fast track: get a local partner! :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 am

Really, if I broke down cost of living to the essentials vs. what we spend on the business, I would say we live at or around $1,000 a month for the two of us. Perhaps a little more, depending on the month. Almost all our other expenses are in some way business related, even if we use it for personal enjoyment (e.g. I don't really need multiple commercial cell phone plans, internet connections, servers, and so on).

Main thing that blows the personal budget is eating out, but from a business perspective we make a lot of connections and close a lot of deals by regularly getting out and about. It provides a valuable networking point for us. Also, if we avoided a lot of the imported or expensive products on the shopping list, we would could seriously cut our food bill down. So, it is possible, and might be tight depending on our needs.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 am

Donnybrook wrote:Everything mentioned so far is pretty much standard for any South American country.

On the up side, although there is a lot of paperwork when you arrive, the system does actually work and you don't have to bribe anyone to make it do so.

Specifically for Chile, I would say be prepared for a more difficult time making local friends than in other places. It isn't that they are unfriendly, but they tend to cluster their world in clans: family, school friends, uni friends, partner's family etc. You won't slot easily into one of the groups. Most of my Chilean friends have just added us to one of their groups, usually family. But it can take time and an imaginative local to find room in their social life to fit you in. This problem is slightly less in Santiago - there are many Chileans living here who are originally from somewhere else - and slightly more difficult if you are living in a small community. EEUU has described the fast track: get a local partner! :)
I don't find that so true. We have seen a lot of foreigners get pretty integrated in to smaller communities, pretty fast. Still Chileans everywhere are pretty good at leaving you alone if you do not initiate a friendship with them. Which, depending on your perspective, is kind of nice. There are certain chilean groups that I don't want to be too close to. For example, I really dislike the 9-5 professionals types with kids, and not much else going on in their life (ever). They can be mind-numbingly boring and impossible to force a conversation out of that does not have to do with their kids' school. I have had neighbours of that kind that have lived next to us for years in Chile, and had no problem avoiding them other than a friendly hello in passing. I didn't force it, and they didn't force it either. I know had I invited them say to dinner or a glass of wine, we would have then clearly crossed the line to possibly a friendship.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:45 am

1- Do not wait to be served. You will be abandoned to your fate.
2-Do not piss off the people who service your home i.e maestros, nanas, gardeners, security guards because some will happily feed intel to the wrong crowd in return.
3- The busses always win. Don't fight it.
4- Don't leave home without change for the WC.
5-Don't rush, nobody else will.
6- Don't accept a time frame. Demand a date and a time.
7-Don't assume a product will be on the shelf on your next visit, stockpile.
8-Don't tell them you are from Chicureo. You will get an additional cuico tax added to your gringo tax.
9-Don't be afraid to ask stupid gringo questions, ignorance is not bliss.
10-Don't be offended when you get stared at. Stare back.
We agree to disagree.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:51 am

momof3 wrote:10-Don't be offended when you get stared at. Stare back.
:lol:
¡Qué pesao era el maldito gringo/chino/turco/negro!

--eeuunikkeiexpat