Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

lotn

Re: Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for grin

Post by lotn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Don't ever assume that things will be done in as timely of a manner as they are done in your country of origin. And when things inevitably take longer than they conceivably should, do not take it personally.

john

Post by john » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:24 pm

lotn wrote:Don't ever assume that things will be done in as timely of a manner as they are done in your country of origin. And when things inevitably take longer than they conceivably should, do not take it personally.
I'm reminded of the story of the Yank who's car broke down in rural Western Ireland, while on vacation. He storms into the village garage and yells at the owner/mechanic, "You told me it would only take one day to repair my car but it has been 3 days and it's still not fixed". "Yesterday, you told me it would be ready today". "What is it about you Irish? It's always mañana, mañana". "I can assure you my fine chap, that there is no such world in the Irish language that expresses such urgency as mañana".
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:30 pm

( edited by the poster )

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:42 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:FWIW, I've seen newbies here burned by both natives and fellow expats. The expat scamming other expats though is nothing at the level like in Costa Rica, Panama, etc.

I have noticed though that many expats do adopt some of the bad aspects of the natives, so do be careful!
This is so true! Been there, seen that! However, my advice would be to take all advice under consideration, but don't let it jade you to the point that you are paralyzed and miss all the good stuff there is in Chile, including the people.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 pm

...especially the people.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:53 pm

lotn wrote:Don't ever assume that things will be done in as timely of a manner as they are done in your country of origin. And when things inevitably take longer than they conceivably should, do not take it personally.

This is very important, don’t start business activities until ALL the pieces are in order, give yourself time, from initiating a company to property acquisition to operations, if you think you can do it (or did it) in a 2-3 month window you WILL fail. That is a 6 month give it 1 year timeframe or you will do something wrong like take over a lease the seller had no right to transfer and find yourself on the curb one Monday morning ................................
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Always have your bailout bag tucked under the head of your bed.
It's all about the wine.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 pm

nwdiver wrote:Always have your bailout bag tucked under the head of your bed.
Good advice NW. A lesson learned the hard way...and water tight, up off the ground. I also recently started taking digital photos of all my important documents and uploading them to a secure place as well as keeping them on a memory stick. When all my personal docs we ruined after the Chaiten volcano (water and ash make a sneaky and quiet layer of wetness that crept in overnight and hooboy...) it was expensive and time consuming to replace them.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Don't ever flash your Dollar Wads in El Extranjeros.!

I have seen the Americanos Tourists way back in the late 70's in
Asia and Europe as well that the Gringos, perhaps drunken but
shouting and grabbing a fistfull of Us $ 100 in a roll from his pants pockets
and saying things, such as : In America we have the green backs.!
We can buy the World.! Things like that. What an eyesore scene to be hold.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Gloria wrote:
sandrab wrote:Tried to pm you but it did not work. If you have Skype I would like to talk :) my user name is sdb7109
I just got a new pc and I haven't downloaded Skype. As soon as I have it running I'll let you know in the meantime email me, my email is working fine so please try it again.
My email is crap when you have Skype let me know :)

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 pm

A. Do not assume that just because Chile "is conducive to business" that it will be easy to start a SMALL business, especially if you do not have contacts, specific industry experience and spanish language skills.

B. Just because Chilean business partners or family have good intent does mean they have the ability to assist you to create a business. They might lack the creativity and self-initiative required to do so. This is even more critical if you do not have adequate spanish language skills and cultural understanding to see opportunities, investigate opportunities, create contacts or develop contacts yourself.

The costs, financial risks and other risks of ONLY living in Chile are much smaller than if you try to rush things by attempt to create a business, create new personal relationships or NEED to make income here.

The country and people can be quite pleasant if one does not have the stress of taking on risks and expenses in a new environment where one's actions are limited (while on tourist and temporary residence visas), even if you are fluent in spanish.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Do not assume that Chile is a cheap place to live, or that you will learn Spanish when you arrive. These have been my 2 biggest mistakes. Chile is a beautiful country and is a place where you can make it if you have the means to do so. Winging it here is not doable.