Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Ripsigg

Re: Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for grin

Post by Ripsigg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:48 am

Don't trust other expats just because they are from your home country or seem friendly. In fact, my blanket rule is "Don't trust other expats." If you have to trust another expat, only trust those with a vested interest in helping you out, (ie if you are paying them for a service) and even then evaluate the relationship in the same way you'd evaluate it back home.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:15 am

Ripsigg wrote:In fact, my blanket rule is "Don't trust other expats."
There may be some truth in that. Somewhere. But I'd be careful that it doesn't turn into something like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 am

john wrote:Never accept legal advice you didn't pay for.
I like that one, and I am serious.

We get people calling us all the time wanting to turn a brief free consultation intended to help us determine if we can help with their problem or project, in to a step by step DIY instructions secession. Even if we were so inclined, at best you will only understand the basic to a point to be dangerous. I am not just talking about run of the mill stuff like immigration, but people looking to do international divorces and probate themselves. Things that a lot of lawyers in Chile don't know how to do.

Corrollary is, don't be a cheapskate. If you have a serious legal issues, pay for serious legal help. Don't hire some kid out of a discount law school with no experience. Especially when it involves foreigners, a foreign language, a foreign legal system, and possible a foreign country besides Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 am

Just because you see the green man, doesn´t mean you can cross the road without looking!! Look both ways still for cars turning and accelerating to make the turn before the oncoming traffic gets the green light. Particular hotspot for me is Carlos Antunez with Pedro de Valdivia (Providencia, Santiago)where there is no respect for the pedestrian because there is no filter light and they will mow anything down in their way!

Another thing. Never engage in political conversation with a Chilean. If you have a different view you will be told to go home :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:59 am

I see the Israelis are working hard on keeping up their reputation in Latin America as the worst tourist ever.
Don't camp illegally in Chilean parks, or you will thrown out of the country:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Chile ... story.html
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:07 am

StrawberryHeartsForever wrote:Just because you see the green man, doesn´t mean you can cross the road without looking!! Look both ways still for cars turning and accelerating to make the turn before the oncoming traffic gets the green light. Particular hotspot for me is Carlos Antunez with Pedro de Valdivia (Providencia, Santiago)where there is no respect for the pedestrian because there is no filter light and they will mow anything down in their way!
That goes for driving as well. If you are the first car in line, waiting at the red light - When it changes to green, doublecheck that there are no taxis, minivans, soccermoms etc running the dark orange light, before you start rolling. Also note whether the car in your opposite direction is planning on pulling a quick left turn (thus crossing your lane), before you start driving. I see both of these on a daily basis driving in rush hour in Santiago

PCSM

Post by PCSM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:48 am

Ripsigg wrote:Don't trust other expats just because they are from your home country or seem friendly. In fact, my blanket rule is "Don't trust other expats." If you have to trust another expat, only trust those with a vested interest in helping you out, (ie if you are paying them for a service) and even then evaluate the relationship in the same way you'd evaluate it back home.
Well is this not a refreshing change from what Zeron wrote and deleted ("Never ever trust a Chilean")? Jeeesh..... And he wonders why some have a problem with his advice.
I would just say never ever be too trusting of anyone (Chilean or otherwise) in general when in Chile. If you are the gullible certain people will see you coming a mile away. Don't mistake Chilean's shorter personal space and touchy feeliness for affection or that you are friends after knowing each other all of an hour.

Don't hang out near Plaza Italia after a clasico.
If you are the type that likes to flaunt wealth don't take public transit. Those nice gold earrings that dangle ever so nicely are so easy to tear from your your ears. Don't go all Bruce Lee on that little flaite that just took your camera. They work in teams. Most of the time you will lose.

Never move to Chile without money set aside for a return ticket.

Don't take yourself too seriously. If a Chilean gives you the name poto con orejas it just means you are probably bald. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And above all.... Don't ever be so xenophobic and jaded that you give a one line advice of "Don't ever trust a Chilean". Frick if you ever get to that stage ask yourself why you are putting yourself through such a hell and save your sanity by moving back home.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:54 am

PCSM wrote:
Ripsigg wrote:Don't trust other expats just because they are from your home country or seem friendly. In fact, my blanket rule is "Don't trust other expats." If you have to trust another expat, only trust those with a vested interest in helping you out, (ie if you are paying them for a service) and even then evaluate the relationship in the same way you'd evaluate it back home.
Well is this not a refreshing change from what Zeron wrote and deleted ("Never ever trust a Chilean")? Jeeesh..... And he wonders why some have a problem with his advice.
I would just say never ever be too trusting of anyone (Chilean or otherwise) in general when in Chile. If you are the gullible certain people will see you coming a mile away. Don't mistake Chilean's shorter personal space and touchy feeliness for affection or that you are friends after knowing each other all of an hour.

If you are the type that likes to flaunt wealth don't take public transit. Those nice gold earrings that dangle ever so nicely are so easy to tear from your your ears. Don't go all Bruce Lee on that little flaite that just took your camera. They work in teams. Most of the time you will lose.

Don't take yourself too seriously. If a Chilean gives you the name poto con orejas it just means you are probably bald. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And above all.... Don't ever be so xenophobic and jaded that you give a one line advice of "Don't ever trust a Chilean". Frick if you ever get to that stage ask yourself why you are putting yourself through such a hell and save your sanity by moving back home.

dont trust a person on a forum who doesnt live in chile

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:57 am

FWIW, I've seen newbies here burned by both natives and fellow expats. The expat scamming other expats though is nothing at the level like in Costa Rica, Panama, etc.

I have noticed though that many expats do adopt some of the bad aspects of the natives, so do be careful!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:00 am

zer0nz wrote:dont trust a person on a forum who doesnt live in chile
:lol:
Both Ripp and the target resemble that comment.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

PCSM

Post by PCSM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:09 am

zer0nz wrote:
PCSM wrote:

All the things I stated are from personal experience.
And dare I say much better and useful than a moronic statement like "Never trust a Chilean".
Have a nice day.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:14 am

PCSM wrote:
zer0nz wrote:
PCSM wrote:

All the things I stated are from personal experience.
Have a nice day.

i am having a nice day thankyou, you too!,