Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

sandrab

Re: Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for grin

Post by sandrab » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Never ever trust a gypsy to bless your money :?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 pm

sandrab wrote:Never ever trust a gypsy to bless your money :?
What happened Sandra, would you share with us? I really would like to know.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

picalena

Post by picalena » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Per admin - never say "si" on the telephone unless you are absolutely certain you know who you are talking to.

Isn't there also something about nanas, like always hire them under a contract or on boleta and never without one or the other?
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Gloria
Did not happen to me but I have been witness to many woman being swarmed and pushed into a corner by 3 or more gypsies who go right into their purse. I now carry my money in my front pocket and never stop when approached by them. I hate not trusting people but here is so different then northern Toronto.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 pm

sandrab wrote:Gloria
Did not happen to me but I have been witness to many woman being swarmed and pushed into a corner by 3 or more gypsies who go right into their purse. I now carry my money in my front pocket and never stop when approached by them. I hate not trusting people but here is so different then northern Toronto.
I'm glad it didn't happened to you and that you are using your wisdom by watching others and learning from their mistakes. Good for you!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Tried to pm you but it did not work. If you have Skype I would like to talk :) my user name is sdb7109

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Don't open a bank account with a relative or friend

When you are on a tourist visa, and since you can't open a bank account, but naturally want to do a bit of business/make purchases/etc., don't even consider opening a bank account under anyone's name, even if they are the godparents to your adopted children, you've known them 17 years and you facilitated the admission of, and full scholarship to, a US university for their first-born as the funds can and will be used up before the deposit is even logged at the bank.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

john

Post by john » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Never accept legal advice you didn't pay for.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:15 pm

sandrab wrote:Tried to pm you but it did not work. If you have Skype I would like to talk :) my user name is sdb7109
I just got a new pc and I haven't downloaded Skype. As soon as I have it running I'll let you know in the meantime email me, my email is working fine so please try it again.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Putenio wrote:Don't open a bank account with a relative or friend

When you are on a tourist visa, and since you can't open a bank account, but naturally want to do a bit of business/make purchases/etc., don't even consider opening a bank account under anyone's name, even if they are the godparents to your adopted children, you've known them 17 years and you facilitated the admission of, and full scholarship to, a US university for their first-born as the funds can and will be used up before the deposit is even logged at the bank.
There is an exception (guarded as always of course, use common sense, AS THIS IS CHILE), your long term SO, raised in Chile, citizen pareja or wife.

Disclaimer: I know nothing of what I speak :wink: .

Speaking of which ... for those who must have a business partner before permanent residency, the one that has a higher chance of working out is when it is your raised in Chile citizen wife (yes wife, don't know how applicable this observation is the other way around).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:23 am

admin wrote:1. Do not give an unlimited power of attorney or legal representative (different from a lawyer, but could be a lawyer) to anyone in Chile you do not REALLY trust. Don't just hand out a power of attorney to say the nice guy that showed you a property. Don't give one to a distant cousin. Perhaps give one to your wife or other close friend. I mean really, really close. We have seen more money lost by foreigners with this mistake than any other mistake hands down (possibly combined). I am talking millions of dollars a year, and those are just the people that come to us after they made the mistake. Only God knows how many gringos made this mistake. Limit powers of attorney and corporate legal representatives appropriately to the powers they need to do a job.
The guy I was staying with when I first got here offered to let me keep my money in his bank account, when I told him how difficult it was for me to open one here. I thanked him for offering, and changed the subject.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:32 am

gjz333 wrote:dont step on anything that looks even slightly unstable. i have seen a few wood coverings in the sidewalk and gone around them... a few days later i pass again and can tell someone fell thru.
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic8054.html
And watch out for missing manhole covers.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin