Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

atacama78

Re: Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for grin

Post by atacama78 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:51 am

Donnybrook wrote:Most of my Chilean friends have just added us to one of their groups, usually family.
And once truly added to a family, you are integrated fully. When I was in high school in 1977, a Chilean family "adopted" me. I think they were just curious about a gringo in their mist. It started with rides to school, eating onces at their house and later weekends at the beach with the extended family (with the aunts that all Chilean families have). Over the decades, they took the care to teach me about all things Chilean. Now, 35 years later, this relationship has become a central in my life. I am not related to a single one of them by blood or marriage. We just deeply care about and love each other. I return to Chile for 80th birthday parties for my Chilean parents and they are coming to Santa Fe, New Mexico the first of the year to spend a few weeks with my family. Our bond has endured two generations. My Chilean brother's and sister's children now know and love my daughter and we, their children. It is a love story across the continents and the ages.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:53 am

Dont try to order water in mcdonalds, it confuses the monkeys!

lotn

Post by lotn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:44 pm

atacama78 wrote:And once truly added to a family, you are integrated fully. When I was in high school in 1977, a Chilean family "adopted" me. I think they were just curious about a gringo in their mist. It started with rides to school, eating onces at their house and later weekends at the beach with the extended family (with the aunts that all Chilean families have). Over the decades, they took the care to teach me about all things Chilean. Now, 35 years later, this relationship has become a central in my life. I am not related to a single one of them by blood or marriage. We just deeply care about and love each other. I return to Chile for 80th birthday parties for my Chilean parents and they are coming to Santa Fe, New Mexico the first of the year to spend a few weeks with my family. Our bond has endured two generations. My Chilean brother's and sister's children now know and love my daughter and we, their children. It is a love story across the continents and the ages.
I had/have nearly exactly the same experience. I was "adopted" eight years ago when I was an eighteen year old vagabunda at a hostel in Buenos Aires by a girl my age from Santiago, who I think was just very intrigued by an American who spoke Spanish so well. Invited me to stay with her family when I made it over to Chile, which I did a month later, got to know her extended family, etc. Last year, seven years later, when I knew that I wanted to leave the U.S. I decided on Chile largely because of this prior connection made (though if Chileans ask me my general response is something about the "booming Chilean economy"), and whose support I believe is largely responsible for my success at "winging it" in Chile, which has not been easy, but it has been worth it. Naturally, I love them and appreciate them with all my heart.

john

Post by john » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm

atacama78 wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:Most of my Chilean friends have just added us to one of their groups, usually family.
And once truly added to a family, you are integrated fully. When I was in high school in 1977, a Chilean family "adopted" me. I think they were just curious about a gringo in their mist. It started with rides to school, eating onces at their house and later weekends at the beach with the extended family (with the aunts that all Chilean families have). Over the decades, they took the care to teach me about all things Chilean. Now, 35 years later, this relationship has become a central in my life. I am not related to a single one of them by blood or marriage. We just deeply care about and love each other. I return to Chile for 80th birthday parties for my Chilean parents and they are coming to Santa Fe, New Mexico the first of the year to spend a few weeks with my family. Our bond has endured two generations. My Chilean brother's and sister's children now know and love my daughter and we, their children. It is a love story across the continents and the ages.
What a poignant and heartwarming story! 8)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

svnt3stngray

Post by svnt3stngray » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:27 pm

1. Avoid the metro at 18:30 weekdays, especially in the summer. You will feel better if you walk and are late...
2. Don't eat the "pan hallulla" this is probably worse for your body than ice cream.
3. don't by argentinan pesos in chile, for now, take US dollars and have 30% more purchasing power

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:10 pm

lotn wrote:
atacama78 wrote:And once truly added to a family, you are integrated fully. When I was in high school in 1977, a Chilean family "adopted" me. I think they were just curious about a gringo in their mist. It started with rides to school, eating onces at their house and later weekends at the beach with the extended family (with the aunts that all Chilean families have). Over the decades, they took the care to teach me about all things Chilean. Now, 35 years later, this relationship has become a central in my life. I am not related to a single one of them by blood or marriage. We just deeply care about and love each other. I return to Chile for 80th birthday parties for my Chilean parents and they are coming to Santa Fe, New Mexico the first of the year to spend a few weeks with my family. Our bond has endured two generations. My Chilean brother's and sister's children now know and love my daughter and we, their children. It is a love story across the continents and the ages.
I had/have nearly exactly the same experience. I was "adopted" eight years ago when I was an eighteen year old vagabunda at a hostel in Buenos Aires by a girl my age from Santiago, who I think was just very intrigued by an American who spoke Spanish so well. Invited me to stay with her family when I made it over to Chile, which I did a month later, got to know her extended family, etc. Last year, seven years later, when I knew that I wanted to leave the U.S. I decided on Chile largely because of this prior connection made (though if Chileans ask me my general response is something about the "booming Chilean economy"), and whose support I believe is largely responsible for my success at "winging it" in Chile, which has not been easy, but it has been worth it. Naturally, I love them and appreciate them with all my heart.
Two incredibly wonderful stories! And my guess is that it is not uncommon, just that mostly untold. Thank you for sharing these heartwarming experiences.