Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for gringos

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I had the thought today, after about my 20th email / phone call of the morning where I had to start by, "don't ever do .... in Chile" to foreigners, that there should be a specific list on the forum spelling out some of the more common mistakes. Most I am sure have been covered in some place on the forum, but I thought a more exact list would be useful. People that want to know more, can then do deeper searches to find more information.

Please keep this on serious topics. Like don't buy vegetables from a guy on a horse, will be deleted. Explain, add to other posts, or comment on, but please do not start long debates about it. Let us try and keep this, as much the forum can, on topic and bullet point like.

The first couple, from today's conversations alone:

1. Do not give an unlimited power of attorney or legal representative (different from a lawyer, but could be a lawyer) to anyone in Chile you do not REALLY trust. Don't just hand out a power of attorney to say the nice guy that showed you a property. Don't give one to a distant cousin. Perhaps give one to your wife or other close friend. I mean really, really close. We have seen more money lost by foreigners with this mistake than any other mistake hands down (possibly combined). I am talking millions of dollars a year, and those are just the people that come to us after they made the mistake. Only God knows how many gringos made this mistake. Limit powers of attorney and corporate legal representatives appropriately to the powers they need to do a job.

2. Do not ever pay more than 3 months rent in advance on a rental. You loose all leverage with your landlord.

I am sure I have about 2,000 more to go, but that should get everyone started.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

picalena

Re: Definitive list of mistakes / don't do in Chile for grin

Post by picalena » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm

3. Don't overstay your visa.
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Don't assume there is no speed limit just because it isn't posted on the highway.

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Don't ever try to bribe a Carabinero.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:12 pm

sorry, z, not going to fly.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:16 pm

ahhh, immigration stuff. There are nowhere near sufficient hours in the day for me to even start with this one.

If you are here more than 6 months a year, apply for temporary residency.

If you qualify for permanent residency, apply for permanent residency.

If you qualify for citizenship, apply for citizenship.

Why? You never know how hard it will be tomorrow to get it, but you can be certain it is not going to get easier with time.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Stay on top of your own visa, even if you have your company or a lawyer doing it, make sure you personally understand every step of the process, have a copy of each document, and understand the conditions and the timelines involved,

This seems to be the number 1 major issue for forum people, screw ups in the visa when they let someone else manage it

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm

z beat me to it, but what the hell.

Don't trust your employer or anyone else to obtain your work visa or other immigration papers. You are ultimately responsible for legally living in Chile and working in Chile. Double check that your status is really in order.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Even when we prepare visa applications for Clients, we often have clients that simply disappear in the middle of the process. They then pop up a year or two later, like we were suppose to magically obtain a visa without the warm body that it should be attached to. Your not hiring us to buy you a ticket to a concert.

It's an IMMIGRATION APPLICATION!!!! YOU MUST BE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS!!!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:41 pm

If you can wait, only start a business after you have permanent residency (and thus virtually the same rights as a citizen) with everything in your name from Day 1.

Which brings up the subject of investment/business partners that over eager newbie foreigners without permanent residency seem to seek out frequently leading to their spectacular flash bang failure in Chile.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:01 pm

As pointed out:
Don’t trust the “it’s taken care of” on any subject not just immigration, but check yourself and check again.

On directions Chileans don’t like to be negative so it’s always yes, as in directions, 3 blocks along and 2 blocks to the right (may put you in the river) but they want to help you, I find only the Carabineros dig in and give good directions and if they don’t know will say about 3-5 km and you can trust that.

Don’t sign a boiler plate lease for anything, they are harder to amend than doing the lease from the ground up.
It's all about the wine.

gjz333

Post by gjz333 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 pm

dont step on anything that looks even slightly unstable. i have seen a few wood coverings in the sidewalk and gone around them... a few days later i pass again and can tell someone fell thru.
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic8054.html
If the good lord had intended us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates.