Car thefts - Las Condes?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

California South

Car thefts - Las Condes?

Post by California South » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Anyone familiar with car thefts in the Los Dominicos /Las Condes area? I thought this was a nice neighborhood :shock:
Someone just took our car, parked in front of our house, a few minutes ago (!) Just happened to be looking out the front window, and through the vegetation on the front gate, we happened to see the car start moving .... crazy. Ran outside and the car was gone.
The police are here now.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

California South

Re: Car thefts - Las Condes?

Post by California South » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Car was found in Quilicura - stripped.. "professionals" say the police.
Look how fast this happened - stolen at approximately 12:05 pm, found less than an hour later (an approx 40 min drive) and the car was picked clean.

So, to all my forum friends, don't leave your car out front of your house for even an hour, as we did, even in upscale neighborhoods.

Going with the police to retrieve it now. What a day.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:20 pm

sorry to hear that. I just got done having my insurance adjuster review my car for full coverage, including theft.

Yea, car theft in that area is big. Really big. Especially in the nicer parts of Santiago. We have had at least two relatives in recent years have their vehicles stolen there.

The last one, we had a relative that was in Providence at revisions tecnica, have her car stolen a couple of years ago. The guy drove it out of the test area, parked it with the keys in the ignition like they always do, and then someone jumped in and drove away.

They did recover both vehicles. The last one, was pretty thrashed. The owner of the revisions technica has to pony up the cash for the damages.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Providencia is worse actually. The general level of crime has risen since the metro arrived. Just saying. DH did an art class about 3 blocks from the park, never had a problem in 6 years. Along came the metro and he had to be dropped off. They were taking the car by bits.

The nice cars are in the nice neighbourhoods.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Also, the high demand auto parts, thus regular cars, are a major target. Much harder to liquidate BMW parts, than say a toyota.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

KJS

Post by KJS » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Yeah, the car thieves obviously go where the red meat is in nicer neighborhoods. They'll either steal for parts or, in the case of SUVs, for smashing and yanking ATM machines. I had a neighbor who had his SUV stolen in front of his house and used as an ATM ram.

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Yep, nice neighbourhood is just code for target neighbourhood.

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Good insurance.
Better parking.
A lot of vigilance.
Its just the way it is, what it has come to. All of Chile's democratic institutions are fine I guess...except that pathetic judicial system. For whatever reasons, every administration since Pinochete (Yes he was a dick), has chosen to be unbelievably passive toward the skyrocketing crime wave. I hear there is a new crime bill going through though. Hope it includes summary execution, just kidding. Of course scum have rights.
I used to spend a lot more time in Santiago. Over-nighting or longer. Rarely do now. Apart from the cost of even the cheapest lodging, and being a "guest" having all the inherent strings, I know my 4Runner is a target. Probably what keeps me away from the city most is the threat of car theft. That sucks, I like aspects of Santiago.
My spare tire, has been vulched twice, Chains and the pulley system cut. $ch900.000 to replace w/originals. Insurance covered it. "Renta Nacional". I was worried I might get cancelled after two. The chuckling agent said "No, you all covert it with your higher premiums." "Keep coming back." Nice. I have noticed those premium increases over the years. One form of redistribution I guess. The spares are often shipped to Bolivia as sets of new tires apparently. Thanks Evo, for your support, #&*%$* < NO EMAIL >#< NO EMAIL >$ . The solution to the spare problem was eventually replacing just three tires and putting the worst looking rim and original tire under as the spare. Offer the bastards something they don't want.
Maybe we all need to drive junkers. Get rid of all our valuables. Lower the bar. Put on Mao suits, Join ALBA.
Don't Tread On Me Either.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:06 pm

California South wrote:Anyone familiar with car thefts in the Los Dominicos /Las Condes area? I thought this was a nice neighborhood :shock:
Someone just took our car, parked in front of our house, a few minutes ago (!) Just happened to be looking out the front window, and through the vegetation on the front gate, we happened to see the car start moving .... crazy. Ran outside and the car was gone.
The police are here now.
Yeah as Admin pointed out, the criminals target areas with money, no point robbing those who earn less then 200 mil a month, they're more likely to murder the robber. Las Condes is a good mix of not so much security like the really wealthy houses out vitacura, but plenty of pickings.

From what I've read over the last year on here is to make sure your insured for when stuff does get stolen, and don't take it too personally.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 am

What got me to up my insurance was not car theft (there was like one car stolen in frutillar last year), but a trip to Puerto Montt last week, going through a round about (what moron in urban planning [never mind] decided that was a good idea in Chilean culture?). Some ass with a massive commercial truck, decided he wanted to make a last moment turn in front of me, cutting across three lanes of traffic at a 90 degree angle, and put the truck up on two wheels. I luckily caught that one coming out of the corner of my eye, and was already slowed, but I am not so sure about the other 30 cars, buses, trucks behind me. The funny thing was, my wife and I were in the middle of a conversation at that very second about increasing the coverage on the car, when we got interrupted in mid sentence with the ass pulling that stunt in front of us. It kind of brought that conversation to an end.

Yea, we very rarely drive to Santiago. Beyond car theft, the bigger concern is the morons driving in Santiago. Car jackings are pretty rare to unheard of in Chile, so at least car theft does not risk your life. It is the frigen other drivers that will kill you, and total your car. Figure more than half of all vehicles in Chile are located within a 100 miles of Santiago, because over half the population is there with more than half of the countries wealth. So stay away from the danger, and your odds improve dramatically.

We fly in. Our driver that has worked for us for years picks us up at the airport and takes us where we need to go. The rest is not our problem. I don't have to worry about crashing the car, the car being stolen, paying my tag, finding a parking space (that likely pays for our driver's salary right there), and so on. It also means we have an extra layer of security. We have someone waiting for us at the curb, when we are not in the car, and in particularly stretchy areas when my wife is alone, someone to walk her to the door. If your not standing on the curb trying to flag a taxi, riding the metro, taking a bus, but only exposed for a few mins from the door to the car, with someone waiting for you, your probability of being a target for anything goes down dramatically. I don't find Santiago particularly dangerous place in the World, but I also don't want the hassle of dealing with Santiago any more than I absolutely have to, and that includes everything from crime to parking. That is why I don't live there.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:06 am

Any stats on models most often stolen?
We agree to disagree.

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 am

Wow, they work fast, sorry to hear that.

We live not far from you guys. A little while back, our big dog fended off an attempt to steal our neighbor's car in the middle of the night. She started barking like crazy. We got up and turned on the light to see what was going on, since at night she rarely barks like that. The neighbors did the same, and the guy ran off. Another neighbor had his car stolen, but I am not sure if he had it parked here or at work.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to enter our car into the yard, so we have to park it on the street of our little pasaje. It is older and the body is not in the greatest shape, so I don't think it is very tempting, not even for an alunizaje.