New Harder Driver's License Test 2012, be ready

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Gloria

Re: New Harder Driver's License Test 2012, be ready

Post by Gloria » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 pm

admin wrote: A) you can sue the company. Now, is it worth it over wind shield, is another issue.

b) Had lots of clients with foreign licenses, file claims without a problem. I would go with cancel that company, because they already decided to cancel your policy.
It was not necessary to sue the company....they fixed the windshield.
The policy was canceled after the fact.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:45 pm

How much time do I have left to study and take the older version of the driver's license test?
Can anyone list insurers who have covered , without hassle (no hablar chilenses like Gloria), people who have foreign driver's licenses?
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Oh Px, just for fun, I bet you can narrate a tale with pictography courtesyof the local signs. It would make one heck of a "mnemonic" device for the test.
We agree to disagree.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:02 pm

momof3 wrote:How much time do I have left to study and take the older version of the driver's license test?
My polola told me that the TV report said Lo Barnechea was already using the new test, and municipalidads have up to four months to implement it. Don't consider this information "gospel", but it sounds like the change from old test to new test will vary between municipalidads.
Can anyone list insurers who have covered , without hassle (no hablar chilenses like Gloria), people who have foreign driver's licenses?
When my polola phoned her insurance company (RSA) to ask whether they would be willing to "add an Australian driving licence holder" to the car insurance policy, they told her that it is the car that is insured, not the individual drivers, so the country(s) of the drivers' licence(s) is irrelvant. (Am not saying this is a general rule, it is just our feedback.)
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

patagoniax wrote:
momof3 wrote:Oh Px, just for fun, I bet you can narrate a tale with pictography courtesyof the local signs. It would make one heck of a "mnemonic" device for the test.
How curious that you would suspect that.

I actually do have one, but it is so risqué that I dare not load it up here for the PG-13 audience.

I'll supply the first three of the 40 or so frames and you can let your imagination take over.
primeras3.jpg
[/
Now this I can study and remember.
We agree to disagree.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 am

Andres wrote:
momof3 wrote:How much time do I have left to study and take the older version of the driver's license test?
My polola told me that the TV report said Lo Barnechea was already using the new test, and municipalidads have up to four months to implement it. Don't consider this information "gospel", but it sounds like the change from old test to new test will vary between municipalidads.
When my polola phoned her insurance company (RSA) to ask whether they would be willing to "add an Australian driving licence holder" to the car insurance policy, they told her that it is the car that is insured, not the individual drivers, so the country(s) of the drivers' licence(s) is irrelvant. (Am not saying this is a general rule, it is just our feedback.)
good point.

Otherwise it would mean all the rental agencies, renting cars to foreigners, are driving around with no insurance. Just another slime ball insurance company trying to slip out from paying. If it was not the nationality, it would have been your hair color, the cloths you wear, .....

Yea, smaller towns are going to take a while I suspect to get going. So there will be some time for the transition.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

rachelmarama

Post by rachelmarama » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 am

My car is insured and i've filed three claims (twice for small accidents - my partner was driving! - and once for the damage done after a break in) and not had a problem with being on a NZ drivers license.

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Just to add a little more to this topic, I've been driving with an International Drivers Permit for 15 years now.
I get it renewed in the US every time I'm there. I never show my US version and in the many times I've had to show it for one reason or another I've never had much problem. One time, several years ago, a policeman tried to tell me it wasn't valid in Chile. I indicated the list of signing countries at the back and politely asked if he was going to refuse to honor an international treaty Chile had signed. I got the license back rather quickly and I was on my way.
No idea how long I'll be able to keep using the IDP but it ain't broke yet.

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

patagoniax wrote:
But this year I have to get a legit CL licence, though the IDP will be in reserve.

Is there some law change coming?

Mateo77

Post by Mateo77 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:15 am

Hi, sorry if this was mentioned already (distracted by the kids, trying to read) but just wanted to make sure of this, if I have a NZ drivers licence that is valid till 2022, I can drive on that in Chile till it expires ? and there should be no hassles with insurance ? depending on who you talk to and on what day of course. If I get pulled over I just speak English? Or explain to the police in spanish that it is perfectly ok for me to drive on said kiwi licence implying that he doesn't know what he is talking about thus annoying him further, maybe just stick to the ingles. A health and safety guy at work is trying to tell me that I have to get a Chilean drivers licence (for the pickup I am using which they rent) even though I do not have a RUT number and just a tourist visa (the visa is in the WIP bin I imagine of some bueracrat in Osorno, who I have since heard is away and she is the only one who can process.) Cheers and sorry if this has been covered just wanted to clarify, so i can tell the health and safety guy in the office that he can cancel my booking to sit the licence on wed morning as it sounds like I wont be able to get without a RUT.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Mateo77 wrote:if I have a NZ drivers licence that is valid till 2022, I can drive on that in Chile till it expires ?
The first and fifth post on this thread, both from "admin", is the answer to your question.

Experience today: Today I was stopped by Carabineros as part of a routine drivers_licence/car_registration check, showed him my New South Wales (Australia) driving licence expiring in a few months, and was told I should get a Chilean driving licence after telling him I have been here five months.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

ChileTime

Post by ChileTime » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:39 am

Does anyone know where I can inquire about taking the test ?? Would like to take it before the new one gets implemented, if possible. Also, how can I find out if they implemented the new test there or not?