New Harder Driver's License Test 2012, be ready

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

New Harder Driver's License Test 2012, be ready

Post by admin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, thought I would get this out early for those planning to move to Chile, even though we have very limited info on it so far.

Just seen on the news there is a new national driver's license test being issued. Bunch of major changes, from the one on the wiki (wiki editors might want to make note of that).

The theoretical "written" test is going to get way harder. The study book they showed looked to be about 100 pages.

The test will be administered and monitored nationally by computer, with a random pool of questions and answers.

The municipalities will be removed from the process. say good bye to the few gringo friendly cities around the country that would help a gringo with no spanish take the test (there was not a lot left anyway).

As far as we know, the education requirement is still going to be enforced (e.g. legalized diploma of 8th grade or better). Hopefully there is some relief for the stupidity of that requirement, but we will see.

As soon as we can we will post a copy of the new study exam book.

For the time being the basics still apply.

For gringos planning to move to Chile, make sure your foreign driver's license is renewed for as long as you can.

If you plan to take the test, once you have full permanent residency, make sure you bring a legalized diploma from your home country. In theory you are required to get a Chilean license, once you become a resident. So far, we have really not seen anyone have a problem driving on their foreign license well after residency. That said, we have seen a lot of people loose their license or their license expires, then they are suddenly forced to scramble to get a Chilean one.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: New Harder Driver's License Test 2012, be ready

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 am

Egads. I don't even remember where I went to highschool. I'll take the bus.

perrywinkle

Post by perrywinkle » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:36 am

Looks like I got my Chilean driver's license just in time.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:36 am

Just curious, I am studying for it because I was told the auto insurers would not cover anything if and when the time came. We bought a car and got it insured without showing any form of license. If I get in an accident tomorrow will I be denied coverage because my license is not chileno? ( Yet they accept the monthly payment)
We agree to disagree.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 am

momof3 wrote:Just curious, I am studying for it because I was told the auto insurers would not cover anything if and when the time came. We bought a car and got it insured without showing any form of license. If I get in an accident tomorrow will I be denied coverage because my license is not chileno? ( Yet they accept the monthly payment)
one has nothing to do with the other. We had someone on the forum a couple of years ago that the insurance companies tried to pull that one on to get out of paying for an accident, but it does not wash.

Insurance is a private contract.

Really, the biggest issue we have seen with driving on a foreign license after residency, is getting caught speeding. In Chile they take your license until you pay (you get a paper that let's you still drive), but do you really want your hard to replace foreign license floating around the mail system and bureaucracy in Chile?

You might have to suddenly take the test anyway, or get on an airplane and fly home to get another one.

Honestly, I don't think it is going to make Chileans any better drivers, but nice to see they are trying.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:28 pm

admin wrote:Bunch of major changes, from the one on the wiki (wiki editors might want to make note of that).
Done.
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... heory_test
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 pm

momof3 wrote:Just curious, I am studying for it because I was told the auto insurers would not cover anything if and when the time came. We bought a car and got it insured without showing any form of license. If I get in an accident tomorrow will I be denied coverage because my license is not chileno? ( Yet they accept the monthly payment)
Yes you will be denied !!
admin wrote:
We had someone on the forum a couple of years ago that the insurance companies tried to pull that one on to get out of paying for an accident, but it does not wash.
That one was me.We bought a car, had it insured. The agent took our NY drivers license.WE faithfully made the payments.Few months later, our windshield got broken while driving. Put a claim in and it was denied due to our drivers license. I personally had a word "wrestling match" with the company supervisor and after an hour of arguing, I won! But if you are not 100% chilean fluent, I would not recommend it!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Andres

theory driving booklets in PDF format

Post by Andres » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:02 pm

This webpage http://examenteorico.conaset.cl/postulantesbyc.html says the driving licence theory test questions will no longer be public knowledge.
Instead, a licence applicant must study the driving booklet(s) linked to that web page.
The Class B (car driver) booklet is 169 pages long. The Class C (motorcycle driver) booklet is 36 pages long.
Links on the page lead to FAQs regarding the theory tests. With help from my polola, I think this is what the FAQs say:
* there are 800 questions
* each applicant will receive 35 questions; 32 worth one point each and three worth two points each, for a total maximum possible of 38 points (The two-point questions are regarding "Velocidad, alcohol, cinturón de seguridad, casco y sistemas de retención infantil".)
* a passing score is 33 points
* an applicant has up to 45 minutes to take the test
* the theory test can be attempted a second time within 25 days for no additional cost; if the applicant fails the second attempt they must wait a month before taking the theory test again.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:09 pm

patagoniax wrote:Andres - if you agree we might wish to add mention these documents to the wiki?
Px, you do not need my agreement to add something to wiki.
I already added the content of my post (above) to the wiki.
You can add the bit about traffic signs if you wish, or I can do it. Please PM me if you want me to do it.

Andres

negative and positive

Post by Andres » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Negative: I wish the quantity of questions remained at 280 and continued to be available to those of us who are learning Spanish, instead of 800 unpublished questions.

Positive: It is good the new initiative is accompanied by driving manuals which communicate the law in a useable format. Since arriving I have unsuccessfully sought out this information for several months and had to comb through the Ley and Decreto for answers to my questions (often unsuccessfully).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Gloria wrote:
Yes you will be denied !!
admin wrote:
We had someone on the forum a couple of years ago that the insurance companies tried to pull that one on to get out of paying for an accident, but it does not wash.
That one was me.We bought a car, had it insured. The agent took our NY drivers license.WE faithfully made the payments.Few months later, our windshield got broken while driving. Put a claim in and it was denied due to our drivers license. I personally had a word "wrestling match" with the company supervisor and after an hour of arguing, I won! But if you are not 100% chilean fluent, I would not recommend it!
A) you can sue the company. Now, is it worth it over wind shield, is another issue.

b) Had lots of clients with foreign licenses, file claims without a problem. I would go with cancel that company, because they already decided to cancel your policy.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

But the BEST road sign is the one showing a sedan sailing off the road at the edge of a mountain. (Much easier to put up a sign than a safety rail.)