5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Will you vote in Chile?

Yes
70%
No
9%
Maybe
9%
Had No clue I could
13%

Total votes: 23

zer0nz

Re: 5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Post by zer0nz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:00 pm

admin wrote:
carica wrote:I'm the case you were looking for, Charles! I've lived in Chile on and off for 10 years: first with 2 different student visas, then with a 1 year temporary residency that changed into permanent residency, which I've had for 3 years.

I looked myself up and I'm registered to vote. Look out now! :alien:

This makes me wonder if they aren't registering permanent residents automatically with no regards as to how far into the residency you are.
Anyone else out there with less than 5 years of PR, registered?
Im not there, my boss is, he has 30+ years.... the site has him at a REALLLY old address from the 80/90s!, so no idea where the db is coming from...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Now that we have a clear cut case of less that 5 years PR, do we have a case out there of anyone that has less than 5 years in total of residency of any sort but is showing as registered to vote?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Do check the address they have for you. On that will depend the "mesa" you would vote at. I checked ours on Servel and they had our very first address in Chile, decades old and in Viña del Mar. To change the address you do need to go to a junta Inscriptora BEFORE June 30th.You have to present a "written petition" for a change of address and, I suppose, proof of your new address. FAQ #13-19:
http://www.servel.cl/controls/neochanne ... hn206.aspx

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 pm

zer0nz wrote:
admin wrote:
carica wrote:I'm the case you were looking for, Charles! I've lived in Chile on and off for 10 years: first with 2 different student visas, then with a 1 year temporary residency that changed into permanent residency, which I've had for 3 years.

I looked myself up and I'm registered to vote. Look out now! :alien:

This makes me wonder if they aren't registering permanent residents automatically with no regards as to how far into the residency you are.
Anyone else out there with less than 5 years of PR, registered?
Im not there, my boss is, he has 30+ years.... the site has him at a REALLLY old address from the 80/90s!, so no idea where the db is coming from...
Yea, the ladies at the electoral office said they had no idea how this was all going to play out, because it depends on the civil registry database which is often out of date; but, said no one had come in to complain about the address or try to correct the address.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Now that i think about it, that might be a major player in the next election. If everyone's address is where they update their civil registry records, then that means a lot of people that use to have to travel home to their old district for voting might not have to travel any more. For example, people working in Santiago, but from some town or city in other parts of Chile. Not really sure if that was intentional or accidental in the voting reform.

dywp

Post by dywp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Im on the list aswell with only 4 years PR. But have been been here for 5 years.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I am looking for that person that has under 5 years of any sort of (combined) residency in Chile, that appears on the list.

Think of it as software bug testing, that no one else would think to do (or likly care). Still looking for a clear cut case of an expat incorrectly allowed to vote.

More a curiosity about how robust the system is, than we are going to influence the vote. However, there is likly sufficient Peruvians and Bolivans around to at least influence some local elections.

Ventisquero

Post by Ventisquero » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I discovered (with surprise) that I'm registered. Does that mean I now HAVE to vote??? I've heard voting in Chile is mandatory once you are registered.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Ventisquero wrote:I discovered (with surprise) that I'm registered. Does that mean I now HAVE to vote??? I've heard voting in Chile is mandatory once you are registered.
hahaha, what rock have you been hiding under?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Ventisquero wrote:I discovered (with surprise) that I'm registered. Does that mean I now HAVE to vote??? I've heard voting in Chile is mandatory once you are registered.
No, that was one of the major pointsof the reform.

That said, your new country extended you a right hard to come by for citizens in many other countries, please consider using it even just out of respect.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Hmmm. So after 11 years of some sort of diplomatic residence, I wonder whether I'd be eligible instantly if I ever get PR... Who knows. Apparently in another 4 years I won't be able to vote anywhere in the World, as the UK doesn't let you register after 15 years of absence. That's what you get for being overeducated and working for your country's research facilty overseas.

bearshapedsphere

Post by bearshapedsphere » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:04 am

can anyone think of any reason that I really need to change my voting address by the 30th, if I moved four blocks away, and am totally willing to go to the other voting place? I am short of time, and don''t relish the wait to make this seemingly administrative change.

Thanks! and yep, I'll be voting! I want to get my finger dyed blue. I wonder if they''ll still do that with the new rules.
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago