5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Will you vote in Chile?

Yes
70%
No
9%
Maybe
9%
Had No clue I could
13%

Total votes: 23

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: 5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:What message are you getting? If you are not yet eligible, you will get a message to try again later. How many years to the day has it been since the date you received your temporary stamp? Just tried both and they work for me, you must use a browser configured to allow the "I'm not a robot" test.
I'm getting the message to try again later. I probably got my temporary 4-5 years ago. I'd tell you the exact date, but I can't find my passport. All I remember is I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Check your exact date on your temp. You might be mas o menos a few days or months.

When that date passes, then you need to talk to someone at the election board to get it fixed.

Keep in mind, for a vareity of techinical reasons, the temp residency might not register exactly in the computer system as stamped on your residency docs.

Really, of a lot of things that dont work well in the beuracracy of chile, automatic voter registeration is really pretty aotomatic. Well, so far, just from the number of foreigners that we know that have voted without a problem.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:16 pm

jehturner wrote:
admin wrote:Dont understand that last post.

You have been a resident for at leadt 5 years, including temp residency?
It's just this perpetual diplomatic-type visa we have... Since you point out the Constitution article, I wonder which law should actually take precedence in theory, but we have a blanket prohibition from any involvement in local politics and I'm pretty sure voting isn't the done thing.

Sorry missed that little detail in this post.

As diplomat, dont believe you can vote (i would have to check on the exact mechanics of how converting to another visa might work) .

As "liberal" as chile might be with who gets to vote, diplomats kind of stretching it ( somehow dead people are not). Imagine china sent 100,000 "diplomats" to move an election.

Still, keep checking. At the least it would be interesting to know how the system handles such a special situation.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Yes, it would be a bit weird if, let's say, the Bolivian ambassador could vote here... I'm pretty sure the page wouldn't know what to do with my 49M RUT number anyway.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:43 am

jehturner wrote:Yes, it would be a bit weird if, let's say, the Bolivian ambassador could vote here... I'm pretty sure the page wouldn't know what to do with my 49M RUT number anyway.
It is more than diplomats. A lot of people connected to international organizations have official visas and can't vote. As far as the Registro Civil is concerned you don't really exist. A friend's daughter had a huge problem when her daughter went to take the PSU, so it is sometimes a two edged sword.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 am

Donnybrook wrote:It is more than diplomats. A lot of people connected to international organizations have official visas and can't vote. As far as the Registro Civil is concerned you don't really exist. A friend's daughter had a huge problem when her daughter went to take the PSU, so it is sometimes a two edged sword.
Yep, that's me. What kind of problem? Children of OI staff taking admissions tests must be quite a common occurrence and I haven't heard of such problems here (though indeed when the RC changed their computer system 3 years ago, they couldn't figure out how to issue me my daughter's passport for about a week)... Thanks!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 am

Got my official mail notice from SERVEL which confirms the activation I already see in their database. It is dated July and they are using the address that I used for temporary and permanent residency applications and not the one that I reported to PDI (I had moved from the condo and then returned and have not made it to the PDI to notify them of my second change in address).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat