5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Will you vote in Chile?

Yes
70%
No
9%
Maybe
9%
Had No clue I could
13%

Total votes: 23

admin
Site Admin

5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:37 pm

O.k. well I decided I wanted to vote, or at least register to vote, since I now qualify. We contacted the Servicio Electoral (http://www.servel.cl ) about how to register as a resident that has lived in Chile for at least 5 years (per the constitution). I really did not expect for their new automatic voting registeration to pickup all the foreigners that were eligible, at least in the first implementation. Kind of figured that was one of those things that tends to get dropped from bureaucratic software as being too outside the norm.

They at first told us that I would have file a petition, submit various documents, and so on. I checked the automatic election registry a couple of months ago when it first went live, and my registeration did not show up. So, we went to the local election board expecting a mess of paperwork to follow. Surprise, surprise, I was in the system. It seems since I first checked, I had renewed by Chilean ID and when I did that they automatically registered me to vote. Way cool. One thing that Chile seems to be getting right is digital government (for the most part).

If you have at least 5 years of residency, you can check here to see if you are registered to vote ( http://www.servel.cl/consulta/consulta2012.aspx )

http://www.servel.cl

So, if you are registered, will you vote?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Re: 5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Post by zer0nz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:45 pm

does 5 years start from the first day of your first visa? OR from your PD?

and hell yes, ill be voting when i get a chance, still 2years off, if its from the first day of the first visa... but i need to practice what i preach, i have been telling all my chilean friends the importance of voting, none of them have ever voted and have been eligble for years..

i tell them unless they vote they have no right to criticise the goverment and to shut up and stop protesting

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Well, there seems to be some debate about the exact time to qualify. Technically it should be from the first residency visa, as the constitution says "foreigners with residency". In practice I am not sure how you would sort that out, other than by full permanent residency. Your talking a year mas o menos in any case. From my first visa ever, was over 10 years ago but it was just a temporary work visa. I think it makes more sense to count it from full permanent residency, even just to be on the safe side. People get temporary residency, loose it, get it back, never change from temporary residency, and so on. It would be messy. Still would be interesting to see if anyone that is running up against their 4th year of permanent residency, with 1 year of prior temp residency, gets automatically registered to vote.

We had a similar conversation about qualifying for applying for citizenship. One of our contacts at immigration told us that it should include temporary residency, but because of all the various sorts of temporary residency, they use the full permanent residency to count the 5 years for filing for citizenship.

I never voted in the States, because I never believed in the election system. As time went on, it became more and more obvious that no one was going to count my vote, so why bother.

In Chile, if you have seen a presidential election, your vote will not only be counted but often on national TV in front of a bunch of cameras, or at least witnessed by all the people gathered at the public polling places around the country (presidential elections are like a national party). The "volunteers" that run the stations, are drafted right out of line as help at a table is needed. No hanging chad or George bushes, no secret backroom voting counts, mysterious election reviews by mysterious groups, or nullifications of the individual vote counts with mysterious "electoral college" crap, or simply dumped in the garbage as the supreme court thinks might best fit them.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:23 pm

I find it fascinating that they will let non citizens vote at all. Normally that is the main thing that separate citizens and residents, oh well....in Canada being deported the day you finish a 2+ year prison term also separates citizens from residents as of Wednesday.
It's all about the wine.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:25 pm

admin wrote:No hanging chad or George bushes, no secret backroom voting counts, mysterious election reviews by mysterious groups, or nullifications of the individual vote counts with mysterious "electoral college" crap, or simply dumped in the garbage as the supreme court thinks might best fit them.
And no hack the vote electronic voting system from shady corps.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

California South

Post by California South » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:38 pm

This thread is one of the reasons you have such a great forum.
I never voted in the States, because I never believed in the election system
Oh I did. I bought the whole package, hook, line, sinker. I believed and promoted that elections could effect change. The last light bulb that went on over my brainwashed skull = election "choices" are fixed, and the count can be also, when necessary.

So these comments are heartening.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Seems at 5 years of citizenship, you can run for office too.

Perhaps we can form a foreigners in Chile party, and vote a gringo in to office.
Artículo 14.-Los extranjeros avecindados en Chile por más de cinco años, y que cumplan con los requisitos señalados en el inciso primero del artículo 13, podrán ejercer el derecho de sufragio en los casos y formas que determine la ley.

Los nacionalizados en conformidad al Nº 4º del artículo 10, tendrán opción a cargos públicos de elección popular sólo después de cinco años de estar en posesión de sus cartas de nacionalización.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm

admin wrote:Seems at 5 years of citizenship, you can run for office too.

Perhaps we can form a foreigners in Chile party, and vote a gringo in to office.
Artículo 14.-Los extranjeros avecindados en Chile por más de cinco años, y que cumplan con los requisitos señalados en el inciso primero del artículo 13, podrán ejercer el derecho de sufragio en los casos y formas que determine la ley.

Los nacionalizados en conformidad al Nº 4º del artículo 10, tendrán opción a cargos públicos de elección popular sólo después de cinco años de estar en posesión de sus cartas de nacionalización.

excellent, my evil plans are coming together nicely :)

California South

Post by California South » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:10 pm

excellent, my evil plans are coming together nicely :)
weird dynamic: Yankee gringo votes for the chileno kiwi
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

heatherdevega

Post by heatherdevega » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Wow, haven't logged in for quite a while - glad I did. I wanted to register, but just never got around to inquiring how. So, using the link, found out I already am. Yay! I'll be voting, and also trying to convince my Chilean husband to do the same. He's one of those typical youngsters who use the "I don't vote because I don't agree with anyone" excuse. :)

carica

Post by carica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm the case you were looking for, Charles! I've lived in Chile on and off for 10 years: first with 2 different student visas, then with a 1 year temporary residency that changed into permanent residency, which I've had for 3 years.

I looked myself up and I'm registered to vote. Look out now! :alien:

This makes me wonder if they aren't registering permanent residents automatically with no regards as to how far into the residency you are.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:58 pm

carica wrote:I'm the case you were looking for, Charles! I've lived in Chile on and off for 10 years: first with 2 different student visas, then with a 1 year temporary residency that changed into permanent residency, which I've had for 3 years.

I looked myself up and I'm registered to vote. Look out now! :alien:

This makes me wonder if they aren't registering permanent residents automatically with no regards as to how far into the residency you are.
Anyone else out there with less than 5 years of PR, registered?